Must I upgrade my laptop ???

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by josepmaria, Oct 17, 2006.

1. josepmaria

josepmaria New Member

Hi friends !
    Excuse my ignorance but I've always been a little afraid of laptops ...

My HP Compaq Presario 2500 is having battery problems, and I'm looking for a replacement.
    At the same time I'm thinking in getting the most of this laptop for driving games, I know it's not the best laptop for that but is what I have ... I'd like to play LFS, GPL and may be (I doubt I can ...) GTL or RFactor.

I thint that the bigest problem is that it has an ATI 340 IGP graphics card, really bad for games but I cannot change it, so I must live with it ...

The question is:
    Is it worth to upgrade my ram from 512 Mb to 1024 Mb ??? I think that this is the max I can install in this laptop, and the problem is that now I have two modules of 256 Mb that I must throw away ...

Also ... is it possible to get bigger HD por that machine ??? Actual one is 40 Gb and I'm thinking in 80 or may be plus ...

And then, to finish, a base cooler would be interesting too ... any advice ???

What do you think, is it worth to make all those changes or the difference will be too small becaus of the IGP graphics card???

Tanks for your help.

2. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    I don't think upgrading ram will make any difference as far as gaming goes. You are far too limited by the integrated video for anything else to matter.

You can upgrade the size of the drive. The laptop may or may not support larger drives but you can always trick it with something like ez-bios.

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    BTW, that laptop should be ok with a 80gb HDD cos my pre-windows Xp lappy has a 60gb one in it and its fine (and has an old "original" BIOS)

4. josepmaria

josepmaria New Member

I want a bigger HD to have more place (my 40 GB one is still not full, but is not far from beeing ...)
    But, what influence has the size of the HD in computer's fluidity, I mean in games ???
    Can I get more FPS with a bigger HD ???

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    prolly not more fps but quicker loading times, it may run cooler too, remember to get one with a rpm over 5400 cos itll be really slow otherwise

6. josepmaria

josepmaria New Member

Some advice about drivers please, can I use modified drivers or its nonsense ???
    If there is reasonable to try, which ones, Omegas, NGOs ... and which version do you advice me to I try ???

7. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Basically, if you want decent gaming on a notebook, you'll need to buy a new one. The IGP won't do jack.