AMD Zerocore resets afterburner voltage settings

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by ubysm1, Dec 1, 2012.

1. ubysm1

ubysm1 Active Member

Hi I have a problem with Afterburner versions 2.2.3 all the way to Afterburner 2.3.0.

AMD introduced a feature called Zerocore with the 7xxx cards where gpu power consumption drops to ~3w when the monitor idles and switches off.
    My card is an MSI twinfrozr 7950, the version with a 7970 pcb, and it too has this feature.

Unfortunately (and I just figured this out), every time the card comes out of Zerocore idle, afterburner voltages are reset, while clock speeds are not. For months I thought my card was unstable for overclocks that require overvolting because after idling my driver would crash during games :p. The Afterburner/Zerocore incompatibility explains why I used to crash after coming out of idle - the clock speeds would be overclocked, while voltages would be stock.

There's a workaround to this problem; if I restart afterburner after the card goes into Zerocore, Afterburner sets the correct voltages again. I'm not sure what the exact problem is but it's not the best solution to restart AB every time my monitor comes out of idle. Can I ask for a solution to this problem? I believe other AMD 7xxx owners haven't figured out the exact cause but have been solving this issue by disabling ULPS or Zerocore when overclocking. This a bit rudimentary, and I would love to see a real fix implemented in AB at some point.

Thanks for reading, and thanks very much for the continued Afterburner development!

P.S On an unrelated note, 2.3.0 fixed memory voltage changing for this particular card. It said on the changelog that MSI (or Unwinder?) added their own database for their own custom cards, and it seems to have worked a charm. Absolutely love it! Happily undervolting ram at the moment.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The real fix should be demanded to be added to AMD drivers. Their power saving techniques is nothing but the reason of dozens compatibility issues. There will be no changes in AB because of bad AMD driver development.

3. ubysm1

ubysm1 Active Member

Oh right, I'll see what AMD has to say. Thanks for the response.