LCD monitor purchase

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Unfettered, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Unfettered

Unfettered Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB
    So, unfortunately I need to replace my CRT and cannot find a suitable used replacement, or a new one. So I have to bite the bullet and buy an LCD.

Looking for these specs:

-2ms g2g response
    -23 to 24 monitor
    -True 1080p
    -Widescreen
    -True LED
    -The smallest pixel pitch possible with all requirements met

Now this all said I also am having trouble deciding if I should go for 120hz or not. I dont want emulated 120hz, I want true 120hz. But finding this information is a serious pain in the ass.

So I also have a couple of questions for those out there that are more informed than I am on ASUS LCD's, which will most likely be my choice because of better pricing on Newegg.

How do you know what the model numbers are representing? For instance in this example VH238H there is the first two letters, such as ML, VS, VE, VH, etc.. What do these letters mean? Then there is the screensize number in this case 23, but the 5th value is sometimes 2,5,6,8,9 etc. No clue what this value means either. Then the last is also unknown to me, as sometimes its H, or HE, or Q, and so on.

I have not been able to find any explanation of what these mean, and it makes choosing between the different LCD monitors difficult. Having compared the specs of different models I cannot find any correlation to specific functionalities that I could attatch to these model numbers.

Anyway before I drone on any more, if anyone has any insight I would really appreciate it.

edit- Oh yeah, also I am sensitive to input lag, being a gamer primarily in FPS and RTS I do not enjoy input lag. Any insight into monitors with low input lag is also appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    that VH238H seems ok, pixel pitch is fine (which is 1st to look for me)
    but Brightness(Max) : 250 cd/㎡ seems bit low

u should really go window shoppin and comparing em with ur own eyes

maybe ask em put familiar content on the screen if u get intrested of something

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I just bought the VS248h-p to replace my 2053bw and it blows the samsung away PQ wise, and the brightness it not an issue, I have the brightness down to like 5 on the monitors and still find the monitor way to bright.

As for motion the VS248h-p handles its much better then my 2053bw handled it. Darks are darker too, and there is no backlight bleeding in the corners that I hear so much about on led's.

Still miss my CRT as it still handle's Motion the best out of all Monitor/TV tech out there imo

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I was about to mention the VS248H, it was what I was looking at before I bit the bullet and got the VE258Q instead.

For Asus, the first two letters is the series, some of them have obvious differences between them like the ML vs the VS, or the VK being a VS/VE/VW with a webcam, but others I'm not so sure about, like the difference between VE and VS.

The first two numbers (the 24 part of VS248H) is the diagonal screen size, the '8' is typically the release version, so a VE248H is the newer version of VE247H. This applies most of the time, the exception is like with the ML248H and ML249H, where the ML249H is the same release as the ML248H except with a MVA panel instead of a TN.

Out of the VS248H and VE248H, I'd go for the VS248H as its a later model. Apart from that, at least for these two models I don't know what the difference is in terms of the 'VE' and 'VS'.

In any case, the VS248H

5. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    those VS248H and VE258Q has (to me) unacceptable large pixel pitch ;)

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the bigger the monitor the bigger pixel pitch is, the 2053bw has 0.258mm , and VS248h-p has 0.2768mm and I can't tell the difference between the 2 and i am very nit picky about pixel pitch and and how a lcd/led handles motion.

7. Unfettered

Unfettered Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB
    Am I wrong in thinking that there are LED screens out there that aren't just edge lit, and if there are, how do you tell?

Also, are there any 120 hz monitors that dont just double the frames such as 12345=60 hz, and 1122334455=120 hz? I want to have 12345-120=120hz.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there all edge lit from what i found out, the ones that arnt edge lit cost a whole lot more then most tv, in general monitors that are 120hz actual do 120hz, it the tv that arnt actual 120 hz

9. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    its matter of price and quality more than screen size really

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    its is, And the price I payed for 240$ I payed samsung 2053bw 4 years ago? and the Price I payed for the Asus VS248h-p 192$ the Asus Looks much better is 4" bigger and Handles Motion much better more control over How it handles motion too. it just dont have Gamma control like the samsung did.

If I wanted pure quailty I would of bought IPS panel, but they completely suck for Motion which why I will never buy one till they become sub 2ms