close on-screen display server

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by darkshot, Aug 30, 2010.

1. darkshot

darkshot Guest

GPU:
    XFX ATI radeon HD5850 XXX
    Hello everybody, I have a little problem with my msi afterburner here for now I just use it to monitor temperature and fan control. However I do not use more on-screen display server and would like to close it, but always when click on close and close, but then goes back.

I wonder how I disable the on-screen display servers?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Try to read documentation:

- Additional server process is required to provide some functionality including
    framerate monitoring, On-Screen Display, screen capture and automatic profiles
    management. The server will be automatically launched by Afterburner as soon
    as you enable any of the features listed above. You will not be able to shut
    down the server manually while these features are in use, that is by design
    of Afterburner

3. demoncamber

demoncamber Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti Duke Oc
    Ok, so how much more resources does it take up? I'm just having the same issue. Also what is the point of the auto profile settings for 2d/3d if you just select the profile you want out of 1234, doesnt it automatically load that profile anyway, so there is no need to force it for 3d?

4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Check task manager. Very little.

Clarify more please.

5. demoncamber

demoncamber Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti Duke Oc
    Ok, well. I have mine set up to auto load profile 3 at startup.

When I play games it will always use the clocks I set for profile 3 without even having to force that profile to 3d in the automatic profile options.

So what is the purpose of being able to set 2d/3d profiles specifically?

I really do not even need to use that option if I'm only wanting to use one profile for 3d right?

And then I bypass the extra on screen display server from running.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  6. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Well, I don't use AB but keep in mind if you want the program to do things with your card as you have set them up, RTSS must be running. How else is it to know what you have configured and what you want it to do?

7. demoncamber

demoncamber Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti Duke Oc
    Yeah, I don't mind it, I was just curious as to why it just suddenly showed up.

AB seems to work fine auto loading profiles without having to force 2d/3d auto profiles anyway.

8. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    The OSD starts up if you enable 2d/3d auto loading profiles or frame rate monitorin. Disable those and make sure you set "Start with Windows" to OFF is the OSD and it shoul be gone.

You use 2d/3d profiles if you want to load an oc-ed profile while gaming and low profile while not. In normal circumstaces you would not need it as the power saving features will kick in anyway and downclock when not gaming. However, on some cards, the power saving isn't very good (or you enable unnofficial oc, which kills power saving), eg: on 5770 it downclocks the core to 400mhz but the mem stays at stock speeds 1200, you would want to downclock that too, so you create an underclocked profile. But now you have 2 profiles to work with, and unless you want to manually change the profiles everytime, you need the OSD to auto switch them.

9. Choseh

Choseh Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 3GB
    finally. thanks! got rid of it by disabling fps monitoring.

10. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You can always simply press "i" button and see which active funtionality of Afterburner require OSD server and keep it loaded. It is listed under "Active clients" section.