Digital Camera Upgrade

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Xelorz, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Xelorz

Xelorz Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Tech 7900 GS 256MB
    I know there has to be some uber digital camera gurus around. I've seen time and again all the digital shots of water cooled 5950s and neon lit computers on a resolution of 9million by 6 trillion. I too have been able post a couple of pictures but from a 4 year old 1 mega pixel camera with no memory expansion slot. It was good for its day but not that day is over. So I'm upgrading I have a few questions. I was wondering what the hell the difference between all the memory cards are. Does one memory have an advantage over another? Is there really a "best" choice in memory? Should I look for a camera that accepts a particular type of memory. Secondly the amount of megapixels is actually the resolution of the pictures it takes, right? Also what are some of the better brands? Any other tips you can give me before I make my purchase would be greatly appreciated.

2. top_gun36

top_gun36 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9800 Pro|MR9600 Pro Turbo
    GReat link about buyin a digital Camera
    Linky

I find that Canon is probably #1, then Olympus, then the Sony (with Carl Zeiss lens)

As for storage, most use Compact FLash, Olympus uses xD, Sony uses Memory sticks. Some even can do several (no more than 2 though), but be warn, if you're getting a Sony Camera, be prepared to pay 2x as much for a memory stick (vs other storage means for same amount of storage). Most cameras come with either 16mb or 32mb, better get yourself either a 256mb or 512mb.

And and if the camera you want doesnt take AA, it would be a wise idea to invest in a spare battery

Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  3. bjoci

bjoci Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7900 GT SC
    I have the Olympus C-740 UZ and I'm super satisfied.Two of my friends and my lil' bro have Fuji Finepix S5000 which is the same price looks a little better but the specs are sligthly worse than mine.if u have 300 bucks i think this are the best cameras u can get: 3.2 megapixels 10x optical zoom etc. etc. If u can cough up more(lot more) get a Canon, ppl say they are the best,overpriced imo

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=30-122-016&depa=0

and

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=30-111-119&depa=0

oh yeah, and definetly buy from newegg. can't go wrong

good luck

4. I have a Canon EOS 300D....Great Digital SLR.....a Grand though (With lens...no storage)....

www.dpreview.com

That's a good site.....depends on how much you want to spend, and what you're looking for. I was looking for a camera that I could change the lenses on.....so I got the EOS 300D.

Dan

5. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    I have a Sony 5 megapixel camera, the p-10 (i think it is, its not right here to look at), and it has been about the best camera I have ever used. I used to own a nikon digital camera, and this sony totally blows this away. I have never messed with canon or olympus, so I cant say how good they are.

6. Sony does make good cameras.....But I find Canon to be the best...Simply my opinion...A friend of mine swears by his Nikon D70....*shrug*

Dan

7. Rokujuuyon

Rokujuuyon Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D geForce 7900 GT
    Well considering that you've come from a 1mp camera, you shoudn't need more than 3 at maximum.. if size matters to you, one of the Canon IXUS series (I, perhaps) would be good choice. Small, light and relatively good as well as use compactflash (which is currently the cheapest, albeit not by a large margian)

and yes, transdogmifer, the D70 is a great camera. I'd prefer it to a 300d any time ;)

8. I have looked at the D70 image (taken at same spot...same time) and compared it to my EOS 300D....Personal feeling is I like mine better (The 300D)....Admittedly it might be that I bought mine...heh....But I don't honestly see that much of a difference and having great lenses helps either camera....

Nikon DOES make a good product though.

Dan

9. Rokujuuyon

Rokujuuyon Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D geForce 7900 GT
    Well yeah, image quality is almost completely the same (a very slight bit better with 300d, agreed, because D70 lacks ISO 100), but the Nikon is alot faster at shooting continuesly and writing to storage