Fan Speed confusion - drops when not supposed to

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Fregger, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Fregger

Fregger Guest

GPU:
    ATIMobility Radeon HD4670
    MSI Afterburner doesn't work. Fan speed adjustment

Hello World,

So far, Afterburner has been an awesome tool, so thanks to everybody involved with the project!

My problem is that I configured afterburner to have the fan speed run at 100% while in a gaming session because my Dell Studio XPS 16's gpu: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 has an overheating problem. But the problem is that everything is fine and dandy until I jump in game, then for some reason unknown to me, the fan speed drops right back down to the default 30%. When I exit/ tab out of the game, afterburner shows my fan jumping back up my to my user defined 100%. In the picture attached, you can see the game running when the fan is at 30%, the game minimized as the fan jumps up to 100%, then back to 30% as soon as I jump back into the game. I tried to jfgi, but didn't find a similar case.

http://i44.tinypic.com/33pc9xv.jpg

Also, one a side note, I still have 400 days of Next Business Day support and XPS Technical Support from Dell, should I use this warranty to try to replace my GPU for one that doesn't have an overheating problem? The GPU slowly heats up to ~93C and then my entire computer shuts down. I can hear the fan in the laptop working, it isn't in an overly hot part of the room, I have dusted out the vents, and always have the laptop sitting on a cooling pad that circulates air.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. Fregger

Fregger Guest

GPU:
    Nobody? :bang:

[​IMG]

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500

Hi :) I dunno about your fan but 93c is very hot...have you checked the GPU fan?
    Maybe contact Dell and see what they say.

Oh have you created a 3D profile in after burner? Your version of AB is very old btw...it's up to 2.2 beta 15 now, might pay to update it...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  4. Fregger

Fregger Guest

GPU:
    Hey there, I upgraded to the newest version of AB.

And yes 93c is too hot, I was trying to use afterburner to get my fan to cool it down a bit, but it isnt working. And the GPU fan works fine, there seems to be a software issue.

The issue still persists

5. Fregger

Fregger Guest

GPU:
  6. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    You know, mobile GPUs are not supported by Afterburner. Besides, Dell probably has their own tweaked graphics card (and system) BIOS - you can't control fan speeds using standard means then.