EKWB aio cooler big raise in temps... why?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TyrantofJustice, May 21, 2017.

1. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    ok i had the ekwb predator 240 aio for awhile now and temps were at 13-15c at night and no higher than 65c during the dayat load while gaming, now it has gotten hotter out and i know that has something to do with it but it stays between 70F and 74F in the house ... now my temps fluctuate at idle between 22 and 30C and hitting 77-78C while gaming.

is this likely dust in the fins? or could unit be going bad?

2. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    btw this is my first time with any water cooler so i am clueless

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

74F is around 23°C and have idle temps close to yours ambient temperatures its sometimes hard, all depends on case and case airflow etc plus how fans are run on EKWB AIO and case

I would try to play games during the night when outside is bit colder or you can try raise speed of fans on AIO and case as well which should lower temps

You can check if there dust on radiator and check speed of pump as well

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I would check the pump. Is it working? Set the pump to run at 100% 24/7. Adjust rad fan speeds until you see a temp you're OK with. Pump may be your problem.

5. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i get same temps at night Jura and my case air flow is good

my rad fans are always running at full speed and also how do i check pump speed in my asus software there is nothing listed under pump and there never was

6. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    actually in asus fan profile software that came with mobo under pump is a red 0 percent but it has always been like that if there is soft ware to check or adjust it that would help.

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Not sure how is it on the Predator,but I think you have there hub where you connecting fans and pump and hard to say speed of pump from this

Check as first if there is dust on radiator and what speed of fans are you running ?

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    my vardar fans are running full speed all the time at 2160 rpm according to asus fan program thermal control but i am thinking since it is only one plug to the cpu fan port that it should control the pump too?

so fan speed would also mess with pump speed but im getting no reading in asus thmermal program because i have nothing hooked up to pump header

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I've never owned EK Predator but supplied EK Vardar F4-120ER are 550-2200RPM fans and you are reading fans speed and not pump

I would assume pump is controlled automatically, unless you are see very high temps like 90-100°C on idle then pump is OK, when you see high 90-100°C on idle then pump is failing or failed

You can try replacing thermal paste TIM for something like is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or Noctua NT-H1

If you open case window, do temps drop a bit?

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Checking the installation manual, it seems like you can detach the pump from the cooler's internal hub and attach it directedly to the motherboard CPU fan header. Attach the hub PWM/RPM cable then to some other fan header on the mobo, like CPU_AUX if you have that. That way you would see the pump and radiator fan RPM separately. However, if you have CPU_AUX, it might be PWM coupled (mirrored) to the CPU main fan header, not sure about the RPM monitor, though, but if that's also coupled, you'd need to use another fan header for the cooler fan hub. Your mobo's manual will reveal all this, though, so there's no need to guess.

That is, if I was reading the correct manual, har har.

Otherwise you indeed can't see the pump's RPM.

12. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thanks first off i have a bios update unrelated though so i will do that tomorrow.

then i am going to clean the rad with canned air just need to go get some.

i did a few things i checked the cpu block which is not getting hot.. i felt the hoses and the water is flowing.

and on the back of mobo the circuits behind the socket are only slightly warm while gaming.

maybe its not the pump but just dust in the fins and increase in ambient temp due to spring/summer idk