Need a new CPU cooler, advice?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Netherwind, May 16, 2017.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So, it looks like my trusty old Corsair H110i GT finally gave up.

See pics below:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the idle temps but it got much worse later...
    Question is, what to replace it with? I bought a Corsair Crystal 460X which I wanted to use but I also have my old FD Define S.

If we talk about the Crystal 460X, the three options are:
    1. A new 240mm AIO in the top (FD Celsius S24)
    2. An air tower cooler like the DarkRock or equivalent
    3. A new Corsair H110i v2 on the front

Which option would you go for?

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for the advice but I'm not sure that I'm handy enough to perform such a feat. It's 5 years old after all and the pump itself was audible when the rest of the fans were running at low speed. I don't mind buying a new cooler.

4. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Take a look at the Be Quiet! Silent loop 280/240, no frills and extremely silent while still performing great :)

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Go for a custom loop :D
    Seriously though, what would speak against just buying the next one of those AIOs if you were happy with it for the longest time? How long did your AIO last now?

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it's very expensive compared to other other 240mm coolers :)

Hehe, it would be cool but that would cost 5 times the cost of a 240mm AIO :) Money I don't have at the moment. My last AIO survived for 5 years but I cannot buy it if I want to keep my Crystal 460X case since it only fits in the front :(

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would personally go with air cooler, been there with AIO and burned with these AIO

I would go route of the Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal, NH-D15 or NH-D15S and if you don't like Noctua brown/poo fans then have look on Thermalright TY-143 or TY-147A fans which are great fans and really push enough air

If budget is then I would do custom water loop there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Love my D15S. Only about 8C hotter with the same overclock than my custom loop was on my 2600k. Seriously this cooler is a beast and almost inaudible.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Did you delid?

H20 doesn't do much better when IHS has poor conductive abilities with crap paste

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Cryorig with a custom mod looked sweet!

Thanks for the advice. Many are talking about the Noctua D15 so I think I'll buy that plus one or two fans to the top of the case.

Last edited: May 17, 2017

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

If you are really looking at best air cooler then NH-D15 or NH-D15S are best with Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal

Have owned NH-D15 and is really one of the best air coolers on market

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I think Sandy was a soldered IHS, it wasn't until Ivy onward when they started using the crappy paste.

@OP: The NH-D15 is a solid cooler, I'd take it over most AIO units personally.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Oops, yep I just now noticed he has 2600k

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sandy. I would get about ~52C on the hottest core under Prime with H2O but around ~60C with the D-15S. Now my loop could have performed better but I think my flow rate in my system was a bit low only running one d5 pump with the size of rads and hoses I was using. It still out performed AIO.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hi Jura.

I thought about this for a long time and checked out numerous reviews, both of the Noctua but also Cryorig, Thermalright and a few others. Every time the Noctua wins hands down but it's so fugly! And I who just bought this case where everything is class and whatnot, aesthetics are very important.

Finally I decided to go for the MSI Frozr L CPU cooler, not only cause I have both an MSI mobo and MSI GPU but also since it's cheap, seems to perform well enough and is silent. Sure, the Noctua still beats it but now that I'll have five chassis fans, I doubt it will make more noise than them combined. And finally - it looks great and is illuminated. I care only that it performs decently with my rather mild OC. Prime and Intel burn tests are not important to me.

I'll post pics when I got it and assembled the computer (for the third time).

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So I finally got my MSI Core Frozr L and I must say that it performs perfectly. Not only is it completely silent, it cools well enough too and looks great combined with my other MSI products :) The three games I've tested so far are Overwatch, WoW and Prey and in all scenarios the CPU stays around 55 degrees (stock with Turbo Boost enabled).

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Agree Noctua coolers don't look good and many people hate their look, but for me performance is most important thing then look, if look is my thing then I would go with RGB or LED fans which will perform very poorly or poor, personally I loved my NH-D15, but sadly with 3 GPUs it has been not possible unless I would be happy with high temps on GPU

Regarding the MSI Frozr not sure if I would choose it, personally I like Phanteks PH-TC14PE or Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal and other ones is Thermalright LeGrande Macho add there two TY-147A and you have one awesome cooler with low noise, NH-D15 is one cooler which I've used on few friends builds and all of them are very happy, I replaced only fans for TY-147A and on my I've run TY-143

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Hi there

If you happy and performs good in yours view then this is counts mostly there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hello Jura.

Since I thought that I would use my brand new case, aesthetics were very important but since I'll keep my old, closed case, this doesn't matter anymore and I could have very well bought the Noctua. On the other hand, the MSI was cheaper and performs as it should. I'd have to do a side by side comparison between the two to really know but sadly you cannot do that with computer peripheral.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2017