Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    looks great stuff. but not available here.. i saw a samsung that kind of tablet laptop which can me dismount that style. it is i5 4gb ram w8. but even in tablet form, it was too heavy. and 13". :(

2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

^^ I know the samsung...
    the acers one are really tablets, not weird mix
    petty its not available there
    Windows RT eventually will get more and more stuff as ppl start
    publishing w8 apps for ARM arch (RT)

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    WindowsRT can be affected by viruses....It just doesn't have enough market share to be a worthwhile target. If it ever gains any real traction....it may become a target.

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    well, iam talking from the internet reviews of RT mouth.

but hopefully that time there will be a market for RT ANTIVIRUS apps hu? I hope so :)

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    The thing is, WinRT is a bit DOA.
    A full Win8 (not RT) tablets (like Surface Pro) powered with IB or Haswell CPUs are coming around shortly, and most people only knows WinRT as 'Surface' due to MS unfocused advertisements, thus expecting a 'Surface' to have a full Win8 OS when it's not, further dwindling any already established interests; please view this from the average Joe/Jane's perspective, not us the more experienced PC users.

Which is, of course, a Surface isn't a full Win8 device, nor any other WinRT devices.
    WinRT tries to fill whatever imaginary gap iOS and Android didn't manage to fill.
    Moreover, WinRT devices are severely impacted by its price.

Apple made it just fine with high prices because they were "first", along with its walled garden ecosystem and a well-established user base and brand.
    Google (with Android) made it just fine because most of Android devices are available on any price range imaginable.
    MS came late with WinRT, offers nothing more than both iOS and Android aside from it being "Windows" but falls short of it being a full Windows, and competes in the high-end range price-wise, and no cheaper variants.
    If there's any (probable) advantage of Surface (or any other WinRT devices, I presume) is that it has Office included.

Heck, even RIM's upcoming BB10 has more devs developing apps for it compared to WinRT.
    Most WinRT devs are either rather pissed-off or being apologetic due to MS inadvertently killing WinRT with its device's price range and the shortly upcoming full Win8 tablets.

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I was considering a "Surface" tablet until I saw the prices.... Unlike alot of Android tablets....Surface isn't aimed at the average consumer. It's price proves that. The average consumer can't afford a $500 tablet with limited functionality.

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... it's not really aimed at being a competitor to Android tablets. The standard Surface tablet basically has no less functionality than an iPad.... if not actually having MORE functionality. And the Surface Pro starts at $900, but IS a full-fledged Windows 8 OS on a tablet, capable of running any program your desktop can. Probably the main thing that's the cause for price differences between Android tablets and iOS/W8 tablets is the nature of the OS... that being that Android is completely open source and free to anyone.

and on another note.... yep.... no display on TV due to HDMI cable being sh*t.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I just moved my system over to a new motherboard and cpu, I've replaced only the Motherboard+CPU.

My previous system was an amd cpu + nvidia chipset motherboard.

This new setup is all intel based..

I've installed Windows 7 onto my secondary to use my new system.

My question is, with my Primary hard drive I have Windows 8 installed from my other motherboard, If I boot from that with my new motherboard+cpu... Will Windows recognize the new hardware changes and install everything accordingly?

Will it crash? I thought I'd ask before I screw it up.

10. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Clone the drive and then give it a try. However, because of the drastic change in base hardware, I would personally just redo it from scratch.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If I can just get into windows, I can then do the re-install function of Windows 8..

Would that be a good way of doing it?

I'm not fazed about losing anything on the drive, it only has Windows and Games, important files are stored on a server series WD drive.

It's just the activation I'm worried about, because it is an Upgrade version.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    iOS has a considerably larger app library than WinRT....which to most users, makes it worth more than Surface. There's also the sense of stability that comes with an iPad...you know it's not going to become completely worthless because Apple decides to release a new version (like what MS did to WP7 users with WP8)....

Whether WinRT was intended to be a competitor to Android or not....it's being sold in the same market and as a result, will be competing directly with Android. There's no way to avoid it.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Refresh your PC feature in W8 will still keep it activated. It will likely ask for the original W8 cd as it will need stuff from it.

This. MS doesn't have a leader, they have a stock holder's puppet. As a result his minions just pitch and toss idea's in every direction to see which ones stick, bum rush it out the door, then abandon it because some other company found a trendsetting niche that's oozing money so they go that direction...basically they just play follow the wallet instead of making their own wallet.
    However they did tough it out with xbox 360, but they didn't have much of a choice at that point.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    I can't install normal w8 on a w8rt device hu?

15. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Nope. Windows 8 RT devices are ARM based, not x86.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    WindowsRT devices do not support x86 software at all.... That's why I said the Surface tablet has limited functionality. If you want x86 compatibility....you have to pay the extortionist price tag on the Surface Pro....

17. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    How is it "Extortionist"? It's essentially an ultrabook that you can use on the go WITHOUT looking like you're someone who'd take pictures/video at a public place with an iPad.... and the cheapest ultrabook with a touchscreen is still $700.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Show me where they've invested even 50% of it's sale price to actually build it.... MS has had a greater than 50% profit margin on the WinRT based Surface....I'd expect to see the same profit margin on the Surface Pro....which is ripping off consumers. Neither are "premium" devices....nor do they offer a "premium" experience.

I can get an Android based tablet that's more capable for half what a Surface costs....or just as capable for less than half of what a Surface Pro is going to cost. The only thing that might be lacking, is printer support....which is negligible for most people anyway.

Also, Ultrabooks have a reasonable profit margin on the entry-level and mainstream models.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I booted up with my Windows 8 drive with my new motherboard and cpu.. and it says that my windows 8 is not activated and the only options it gives me is "activate with a new key" and "buy a new key"....

How do I fix this?

20. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I can see the thing with finding an android tablet that's just as capable as the Surface for half the price.... Nexus 7/10 hands down. But i think just as capable as Surface Pro for less than half is stretching a bit much. You mean to tell me that you think you can find an Android tablet that's anywhere near as capable as any laptop or desktop PC?

And even some of the Ultrabooks i wouldn't say are "premium" devices either with the $700+ price tag. Probably a $500 laptop with a multitouch overlay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.