My new HTPC any cons !?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by johnny87au, Jan 9, 2012.

1. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

hey guys this is my new htpc im getting done in the next week or so
    With the Intel G530
    Silverstone LC17 Black Case
    AsRock Z68M-USB3 Motherboard
    Intel G530 CPU
    HIS ATi HD6450 1GB Silent Model
    Silverstone ST50F-ES 500W 80Plus certified Quiet Power Supply
    Tenda Wireless N 150M USB NANO adapter
    Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 REV 2 - CPU Cooler
    4GB Ram

Setting it up for surround sound 5.1 + trueHD + DTS would be HDMI from 6450 to Receiver output then from receiver output to TV input right ????

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Looks good, no objections from my end. Though, the IGP itself should be able to output 1080p video without problems so the Radeon HD 6450 might not actually be needed.

For reference, this is my media centre I built in 2008:
    http://www.kwokinator.com/page/computer-specs#htpc

deltatux

3. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

And my setup order is correct?

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yes, but I just realized, do you really need Z68 for an HTPC? I'd probably go for a H67 chipset instead...

deltatux

5. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
  6. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    H67 would indeed be a better choice, i doubt you'll be overclocking a HTPC

I would stick with the GPU you've chosen though, as the sandybridge video output can't do 23.976fps, whereas your ATI card can

Nice PC - not too different from mine below (yeah i know the PSU is stupidly overkill!)

Intel Core i3 2100T
    Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2V-B3 Motherboard
    4GB OCZ Ultra Low Voltage RAM
    OCZ Vertex 2SE 50GB SSD (OS)
    600w Corsair HX600 PSU
    ATI Radeon HD5570 HDMI
    Intel Pro 1000CT Gigabit PCI-E

being fed media from this using CAT6E and Gigabit:-

Intel Core i5 2400s (2.5Ghz)
    Gigabyte GA-H67M-UD2H-B3 Motherboard
    550w Corsair PSU
    12 x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDDs (RAID6)
    3 x Icy Box IB-554SSK 4 Bay Hot Swap SATA Enclosures with alarm.
    LSI Megaraid 9260-16i 16 Port SATA/SAS RAID Controller
    16GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
    Intel Pro 1000CT Gigabit PCI-E

Steer clear of the ION stuff too. I tried the AMD Hudson board before i went with the i3, and it couldn't de interlace a lot of content. Plus it barely used any less power than the i3 2100T.

2100T is the best CPU for a HTPC, no doubt.

Looking to upgrade to 4/5TB had drives once they become affordable maybe end of next year

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  7. r0k0

r0k0 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    Wow... i've got this has a HTPC

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.4Ghz
    Asus Striker Extreme
    2x 1GB Hynix DDR2-800
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 512MB HDMI
    2x 160GB ATA HDD
    550W Ultra LSP PSU
    Coolermaster Centurion
    TP Link Wireless N

lol

8. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

The setup i mentioned will only cost me about $400 which is pretty cheap imo..

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Go for it, good price.

When not playing protected HD audio, you can use a good soundcard for analogue out to give better quality sound (DACs on amps are pretty poor unless the amp is pretty expensive).
    There is a way of making an analogue soundcard play protected High Def audio btw so you dont need to use HDMI audio at all.

10. marinexus

marinexus Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB
    My recently built htpc looks like this:

Case: Chieftec FI-02BC, mini-ITX, 200W
    MB: Gigabyte H61N-USB3, socket 1155
    Mem: Dual Channel Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB), DDR3, 1600MHz
    CPU: IntelĀ® CoreTM i3 2120, 3.3GHz, socket 115
    SSD: Adata 32 GB soon to be replaced by OCZ Vertex 2 60GB

No odd, instal win 7 from usb stick, and i have an USB ODD just in case i need it. storage on external a-data hdd and synology NAS

11. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Any sound card in particular ? I do have a forte which is my gaming card.. Thinking the essence stx lol ?

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Personally for a HTPC I'd be going with AMD A6-3500, it eliminates the need for an external card as it has a fully integrated HD6530D graphics core. Note that the AMD method of integration is more complete than the Intel Method of just placing the GPU core on the same chip.

Note that the A6-3500 and the Intel G530 both have a 65W TDP (CPU and graphics core flat out). Its only the models ending in 'T' of the Intel range which are lower TDP (and slower). The AMD's do have models with 100W TDP, the A6-3650 and the A8-3850.

If you can get the A8-3800 (later release than the A8-3850) that would also be a great choice as its also a 65W TDP part. The AMD A series are perfect for using as a HTPC, better than using Intel. Also the A series are great for workstations that don't see much heavy processing use.

Intel make great high performing CPU's, but for AMD its the lower end of the market they have got right.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Posting as a separate post so it doesn't get lost with the other post (plus I didn't think of it at the time)...

Be careful of the choice Tenda Wireless N 150M USB NANO adapter. Mini USB receivers aren't designed for heavy or distant use, it might not provide the reception and bandwidth you want. Remember that 150MBPS is the maximum theoretical bandwidth, it progressively drops off as reception becomes crapper. Also you won't get the stated bandwidth...

A better choice would be something like (this was a 5 second lookup job from the link you posted):
    http://www.amazon.com/Tenda-Wireless-N-Adapter-Detachable-Antenna/dp/B0058JPY8Q/ref=pd_vtp_e_1
    or:
    http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS048NH-802-11b-Wireless-Long-Range/dp/B003UVS5BW/ref=pd_vtp_e_6

At least it would give you a much better signal. You can use a USB extension cable and plug the dongle it to that, then you can move it to wherever you want to. You could even have it flush up against the case to save room etc!

Unless the receiver is in the same room forget about Nano receivers. Like I said, getting a signal doesn't mean much if its running at 5.5MBPS. Considering the more powerful receivers don't cost any more...

14. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Those usb adapters better then a cheap PCI wireless card or PCIE wireless card ?