AMD’s New president and CEO - Dr. Lisa Su

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Why would AMD want to get into markets that are already overrun by competition they still can't compete with? Qualcomm dominates the mobile market. If you think AMD is struggling against Intel, just look at how Intel is fairing against Qualcomm. In the mobile market, it's not always about who has the fastest chip and AMD can't afford to compete in a low-margin market with a dozen or more chip makers who have more experience.

2. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Nah... I want to see them go full steam in the enthusiast desktop market, they've proven they can do it, they just need to do it again.

:evilgrin:

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    They can't afford the R&D.....

4. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    It wasn't intending it as flamebait, I was just stating my opinion.

AMD has fallen so far behind in the desktop CPU race that in using one of their cpus over my several year old one would be a large downgrade.

That's all there is to it, my post wasn't addressed to anyone.

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Perhaps not, but I'd still like to see them knock one out... powerful yet efficient.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Let's hope so, for the competition at least (sounds cliché I know). AMD's marketing dept. needs a serious cleanout though, imho.

The spin and hyperbole in AMD blogs makes me want to gag on occasion.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I think if AMD wants to compete against Intel they are going to have to redesign their CPUs. Intel did it and look what happened to them. I feel that they need to try to base their new CPUs either off of the Athlon64 or the original fx. Or make a cpu that competes with the i7s since AMD doesn't really have a CPU that competes with the i7.

8. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

While it is a cliché, it's also a fact imo... Intel has had the monopoly on this segment for far to long.

Realistically do I see this happening ? Unfortunately not but here's to hoping new minds bring new ideas.

9. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    You were right, I should have said you guys, not you specifically, sorry. Thankfully, AMD is not going anywhere. However, they will need to work on their power consumption if for no other reason than to be able to improve their performance. (CPUs and GPUs.)

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Its ok. What I think AMD needs to do is design a CPU that is going to compete with the i7s since the 8XXX is more geared towards competing with the i5s.

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Well one of the big problem of the design of Bulldozer was even windows is unable to work efficiency with it.. its a bit a stupid i know, windows do multithreading, but it dont know what to do with how the threads work on Bulldozer. Some Linux professional distro had been updated, but even for consumer one.. forget it. ( it just cant use it efficiency ). This said this was an error to go for this when the steam was on pure IPC performance. ( this was not the only problem, some other things could have been made differently . )

The most funny is certainly in 5 or 10years, we will see CPU's using a similar design again. ( GPU use allready something similar in some way, including Maxwell, by sharing parts for reduce the size and cost in transistors )

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    True but is that really what is needed?
    AMD never had the limitless resources that are available to Intel yet they still managed to pull one out of the hat with K7 (albeit from reverse engineering).
    If it's money that drives technology then AMD will never get ahead.
    This was demonstrated after Intel got over the shock of being slapped in the face and poured money into R&D...It was only a matter of time (and $$$$) before they caught up again...

I hope success is due to a combination of people as well as money.
    A history of bad corporate decisions and perpetually late releases gives me some hope that maybe, just maybe, leaders with brains could make a difference. :D

My thoughts out loud. lol

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That is right, amount of money spilled over development matters, but on other hand get 5best chip micro architecture designers on planet into one team and they can do what 500 average can't ever accomplish.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It doesn't matter how great the chip designers are, if the funds don't exist for R&D. Even the best chip designers don't get it right on the first try. Unfortunately, money does drive technology. Engineers don't work for free....and engineering samples don't pay for themselves.

15. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    lets not forget amd is teaming up with samsung to make 14nm chips. this will bring amd back as a competitor. that and a good architecture, it should be war again!

16. grndzro7

grndzro7 Member

GPU:
    7850 @ 1200/1400
    Well if AMD's new focus on Linux is any indicator the new direction is going to be awesome.

I cant wait for their new SMT chips to roll out. Might get a high end Carrizo set up to replace my old Phenom II X6 1100T in the meanwhile.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014