Nvidia the ongoing Stutter / lag issue thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PirateNeilsouth, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Digidice

Digidice New Member

GPU:
    XFX Nvidia GTX 295
    Fallout 3, i tryed all the latest drivers for my GTX 295, they all stutter and make the game unplayable.

using 186.18 or what the name of the latest 18x that nvidia have on theyre homepage.

Think all up to 189.xx works good to, but when you enter the world of 19x, you are in a world of ****.

Its not all cards that got this, only new cards i think of Nvidia.

2. oozish

oozish Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX2 280 SC
    i'VE FOUND A DRIVER that can play with 280.xx series cards without stutter in TF2 and still play bad company 2 at a decent frame with AA (earlier versions of our drivers like 180.xx won't allow for AA and/or have graphic corruption in bc2).

USE: 190.62!

3. Atoll

Atoll Member

GPU:
    GTX 295 Dual PCB w/ bckpl
    Turn AA off.

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    the FO3 bug persists with all drivers except the almighty 186.18 whql.

also any other driver causes a stutter in the FARCRY2 benchmark directX10, you have to set all options to HIGH and play the short ranch, setting to Very High or Ultra, does not cause this.

DX9 is flawless too.

5. Pedroshin

Pedroshin Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC
    Using 197.25 BETA and Left 4 Dead 2 with SLI is still bugged... noticeable mouse-lag in certain spots on "The Parish" campaign while playing "The Bridge" after playing "The Quarter"...

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Which card you got, as every game, even including the iffy Fallout3 has been fine with every driver since 196.75.

Its with HDTV setting these drivers have been broken.

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    just wanted to report that the FO3 (and Oblivion) bug/pause/hitch does not happend with my GTX480, so apparently this bug is only related to older cards such as the 200 series etc.

can anyone else with a 470/480 confirm?

i'm using the 197.75 whql.

ive got a gigabyte GTX260 installed in my 2nd rig and W7 x64, every driver except the 186.18 has the FO3 bug even though nvidia stated in the PDF that its fixed for 260/295 cards.

my friend got an Asus GTX285 and W7 32bit, same FO3 bug with every driver except the 186.18.

i can confirm that this does not happend in XP with any driver version.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I had intermittent stutter problems in Project Reality with most of the 19x.xx drivers.

That disappeared after I installed my current set (197.45), and has never returned.

9. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    I was having random crashes for about a month till I checked some error logs... Turned out my drivers were causing the pc to blue screen... So after many many hours of flicking through drivers I found out that leaving the performance profile set to "Adaptive" makes my pc crash randomly, left on "Prefer Maximum Performance" my pc hasn't crashed for ~3 weeks now.

Using 197.13s here and I get nasty nasty tearing in Bad Company 2 (Using either 2/3 GTX 285s in SLI... I dont see the point in turning off SLI when I have the extra hardware... If the game wont run well it can go to hell)

10. Warpy

Warpy Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Is it possible to grab a 18x.xx driver and then just use the Evga sli fix utility? I just can't play Crysis Wars or Fallout 3 on any driver.

Which is the overall reccomended driver to fix this?

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    188.25 works great for fallout 3 also.

12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    true, i can confirm this, with the 188.25 my 2nd card a gtx260 doesn't stutter in FO3 and Oblivion.

13. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    Is this true, can anyone confirm this?
    What kind of stutter you mean btw,

the microstutter in FO3 en Oblivion can be solved with a change in the .ini file.

Or do you mean the stuttering when quickly moving the mouse.

If this is true, might be a inherent problemen in older cards, wich can't be fixed with a driver.

Or perhaps modding the .inf and using the 197.75 WHQL, also works...

Only real solution I found was, running Windows XP.

14. Boblebad

Boblebad New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 580
    With any of the 19x+ drivers I would get the occasional stutter when playing files in WMP. Pausing and resuming often resulted in the file stutter for a second, second and a half.
    Also, World of Warcraft would very often freeze, leaving reboot as the only option. I downgraded driver by driver with the same results, until I eventually reverted to 186.18 (recommended earlier in this thread).

All of the above issues vanished.

Edit: OS: Win 7 64bit.

15. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    I decided to try Battlefield 2 today because i basically gave up on it after every driver in the 190/191 and above range had lag , ground texture issues and stuttering. This was mainly a Battlefield 2 issue and only affected the gtx 260 range (single card) :3eyes: , those that got another GTX 260 and had the issue said it had instantly cured it. Well today after all this time i loaded up battlefield 2 with the latest drivers after i had set my nvidia display properties and wolla FIXED. After all this time it's finally totaly smooth , i'm still unsure as to what nvidia fixed or changed :3eyes:

The only thing i've done differently is using max pre-rendered frames at 0 instead of any higher number and using the latest whql. As i said i haven't tried battlefield 2 since the 191 driver days. I used to get this horrible texture issue when i was walking in the game and it only affected about 2 feet in front of me at ground level. When this happened i'd get this lag effect and feel as if the game was running about 30frames but it wasn't.

Ah well glad it's working maybe it was fixed in the 2xx drivers

p.s This was an issue with EVERY 190-191 driver

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010

16. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    I cant believe that you posted on the BC2 "stutter" thread over at nvidia forums when you had not even tried any of the new drivers... strange.

Many users still having issues btw, I guess your lucky !

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  17. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    heh :3eyes: , this is the one i was updating

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=109982&st=0&gopid=1111816&#entry1111816

Anyway i found the cause !

I thought i'd had cured it but i was messing around with some ingame settings and the issue started up again. At first i thought it was the audio settings but after messing around with the ingame AA the issue flared up again. I originally had it on 2XAA but the instant i put it on 4XAA things start going down hill. Even though frame rates remain the same it turns into a laggy/stuttery experience , what can only be described as a slight slow mo and with the funny ground textures. Problem is it's not visible on video :(

With the 188 drivers or any driver before 190 i had everything maxed out including high aa!. But it seems with these new drivers i'm able to run at 2XAA and nothing higher

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  18. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Well at least you got a driver that works for you as ALL drivers are the same for me including the old 18x + 19x drivers, I have to disable 1 core to get decent gameplay !! (I am on a Intel CPU btw)
    Just hope ManuelG has not forgotten the GTX2xx users with the upcomming driver fix !

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Is this stutter only apparent on the 200 series of cards. I skipped that series as I was with ATI and now coming back to Nvidia with a 480 I have no stutter in any games. Apart from Mafia II but I think thats down to either a driver or simply the games engine has trouble streaming the data.

20. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Ahh that's one of the fixes in the upcoming beta , he tested it on GTX2x cards too! :):)

If i remember rightly a guy on rage said he didn't have any problems with his gtx 260 sli , but when he tested it with a single gtx 260 the issues appeared. From what i also remember it only affected the gtx 260 range and either others didn't notice it or it was very isolated.