GUIDE - Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 7 Installation

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'm gonna make a wild assumption that you didn't actually look at the cite note and reference used for the SSD sub article.. ;)

The whole paragraph on SSD's is weak at best, it should be pulled tbh.

I'll save you the time: of the 2 references cited in wikipedia, the 1st is a 6yr old Tech Report article where the only time NCQ is even mentioned is here:
    Nowhere in that paragraph does it state NCQ improves performance.
    Furthermore the writing is so vague one gets the impression the author doesn't have all the facts and trying to wing it with by obfuscation, he doesn't even say NCQ helps with multiple commands; only that NCQ it's used for command queuing. I mean, come ON! lol

The 2nd paragraph where OCZ as mentioned is the one that made LOL, and I can see why the links have been removed..

U may not know but when OCZ released the Vertex II it DID NOT support NCQ.
    In fact OCZ said on their own site that NCQ decreased performance on SSD's........LOL.... l

So yeah....not really compelling evidence there on Wikipedia as I said. :D :p

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    You're not being helpful :p
    Someone asked what NCQ is about and your replied that it isn't used at all on SSDs. Then, proven wrong, you make the statement that NCQ isn't useful at all on SSDs.
    What's your source about NCQ not being used or useful on SSDs?

There are numerous examples where manufacturers state NCQ is used on their SSDs (besides Wikipedia). See:
    http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8146/~/native-command-queuing-(ncq)-defined
    http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-029623.htm
    http://blog.goplextor.com/?p=3910
    and so on. Some of the articles may be quite old, but they're still current until proven incorrect.

Now please explain why NCQ shouldn't be useful on SSDs.
    I just don't think it's just mentioned for marketing purposes.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Now you're being a dick.

I've just explained to u why the wikipedia article you linked to was no good.
    Your downfall was linking to an article without any real understanding of what was in it, hoping to trip me up,
    I discredited it with good reason now you got nothing and seem a bit mad. Too bad.

I acknowledged NCQ can be useful but only at QD32 or more, which is unheard of on anything other than an enterprise server. I said this already. If you can find ANY proof where NCQ helps performance at low QD please present it, otherwise topic is closed.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  4. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    No, I won't fight you as you're clearly already down :p
    You were first claiming that NCQ is not used on SSDs, then that NCQ isn't useful on SSDs and now I have to prove anything more to you? :bang:

Point is, NCQ is used on SSDs and it's generally considered to be useful on SSDs. This discussion is not about you or about what you think is useful or not.
    And please stop calling people names already.

5. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    This guide doesn't apply for Windows 8/8.1 - correct?

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The fact you are still referring to something I said in my first post and then recanted in my next post speaks volumes about your intentions here.

NCQ is supported on SSD's OK? I agree with you. Clear enough?

You don't have to prove anything, least of all to me, actually I'd rather u just drop this argument - which you started.
    Remember it was YOU who replied to my post.

However if you choose to continue debating with the view that NCQ helps at low workloads, then yes either bring something to the table or get off the stage... this is not a debating chamber, this is a hardware forum where baseless opinions have little weight.....u know how it works.

How silly do u think people are... ofc if u could have found something to back up your POV we would be looking at it already.

And before you ask, you'll find solid evidence of my argument in any storage benchmark on the net...try AnandTech storage bench.

Point is, you're now talking out your ass and also borderline trolling.

I already conceded that NCQ is supported on SATA II compliant SSD's. Obviously since NCQ is already part of SATA II specs. And supported does not mean beneficial. It means supported.

That's 3 times I've said it now. Lets move on.

*"Generally considered" is troll-speak which translates to "I can find no evidence to support my argument, therefore I'll try and win using baseless claims"

Wikipedia includes "generally accepted" in their list of weasel words, along with other meaningful phrases like "some say".

So with that in mind, it seems I wasted my time explaining, quite logically imho, why the Wikipedia reference u linked to doesn't hold water.
    That article btw seems to be the only quoted source on the net advocating NCQ on SSD's. Funny that...

And I called u a dick because, well you are acting like a dick.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  7. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Should I set the JMB 363 and JMB 362 to AHCI? I have the HDDs and my SSD set to AHCI, but the Jmicron are set to IDE. Does it matter?

8. MrDaniel

MrDaniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 660 Ti Jetstrea
    I just set up a Sandisk Extreme Pro as my first SSD, and am having trouble setting up AHCI. I'm running windows 8, and I can get as far as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services in Regedit, but the file msahci doesn't exist.

Can anyone help me?

EDIT:

I fixed the issue by going into msconfig, selecting to boot into safe mode, and restarting my computer. Then I went into the bios, and enabled AHCI. Once I rebooted into safe mode I ran msconfig again, and turned off the setting to boot into safe mode. AHCI remained enabled, and I can boot with it enabled now without issues.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  9. baked cake

baked cake Guest

GPU:
    gtx460 x2 sli / hd 4250
    Resource Moniter

Anyone else's resource monitor break after changing to ahci. Mine will no longer show the individual disks.

EDIT

I found the official windows guide here but i cant link to it (Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive Article ID: 922976 )

credit goes to a guy i also cant link (Improving Windows 7 performance by enabling AHCI mode by Sanket Singhal)

Exit all Windows-based programs.
    Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
    Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
    In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
    In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

I happened to have both registry keys mentioned so i decided to change the other one as well, it didn't fix my resource monitor, however.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  10. Mark68

Mark68 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GS 7300

Hilbert,

I am new here and red about this post on how to change IDE to AHCI.
    I set my SSD from IDE to AHCI and followed your instructions.
    Everything works well and is faster!
    There is only one slight problem and that is that my pc will not shut down anymore. Windows says "shut down " and the monitor goes into stand-by but the pc still runs.
    Do any of you have an idea how to slove this?
    I use Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
    Many thanks !

Mark

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    reinstall the SATA driver....

12. chiadretti

chiadretti Member

great stuff

13. IamLearning

IamLearning Guest

GPU:
    IDE to ACHI

many thanks, boot time reduced by 12 seconds :) i am not sure how to upload screen shots but

+80 mb/sec read
    +35 mb/sec write

4k-64
    +125 mb/sec read
    +55 mb/sec write

i'm happy with the boost

14. epguy19

epguy19 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Xpress 200 - 128Mb
    For those using motherboards with AMD SB7xx chipsets (like the ASUS M5A78L-M LE USB3 board on my friend's custom built PC), I used this specific procedure to enable AHCI under Windows 7:
    http://www.saltwaterc.eu/fixing-the-amd-ahci-drivers-for-sb7xx-on-windows-7.html
    Had to manually install the amd sata ahci driver through device manager (add it thru legacy hardware procedure), reboot & remove the device from device manager (but not its driver software), reboot again and change from IDE to AHCI from the BIOS and then reboot again. Note that this procedure is for those boards using newer AMD SB7xx chipsets and newer AMD AHCI drivers only and does not concern those using Intel-based chipsets.

I found that AHCI mode is only useless for 1st generation SATA drives (aka SATA 1.5G) because NCQ was not available until SATA II (aka SATA 3G) drives came out. I removed a Hitachi HDS722525VLSA80 hard drive from there and put in a Western Digital WD3200AAJS drive in my friend's PC. There was a small performance gain on the WD3200AAJS hard drive but no difference with the HDS722525VLSA80 drive with AHCI enabled.

15. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
    I see there isn't one of these for Windows 10

things are different there, you cannot just enable the built in ahci driver via registry edit.

Instead, what you do is let it crash until the startup repair menu comes up, bring up the advanced repair options and force the system into safe mode.

You can then just shut down and restart - the next boot will have the ahci compliant driver active.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I know this old but I recently put SSD in to Win 7, ACHI was enabled in win7, but the bios was set to Sata, And SSD was seen as SSD and there was no "removeable" usb icon, I switch the bios to ACHI system booted to windows 7 fine, it HAD a "removable" usb icon listing only the SSD.

I since did inplace upgrade from win 7 to win 10 on that computer (Asus M3A78-CM lastest bios) + athlon 64 x2 6000+, Even windows 10 sees the SSD as removable and no registry tweaks I found online stops windows from seeing at removable, I tried install AMD ACHI/Chipset driver and still no go. This bios has no option for hotplug in the Sata settings or ACHI settings