dont go quadro and mod a geforce?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by raouuul, Apr 25, 2004.

1. raouuul

raouuul Guest

what are cons to modding?

nice forum. first post. i was just about to buy a quadro fx 1100 until i asked some questions at anandtech and found out about modding a geforce 5900 to get quadro fx 3000 functionality. and on top of that to be able to boot for gaming or for working. ill be using maya. i just thought this is crazyness. to good to be true you know. looked around, this seemed to be the best place for the most knowledable people on the subject and would like to ask what are the risks? is it difficult, is there a tutorial or something? what are pros and cons? thanks alot for anything you got.

Doh! let me look around first. sry. ill repost if i still have questions. im just so anxious, i was supposed to purchase this card yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2004
  2. juandemi

juandemi Guest

I just converted a Leadtek A350XT (5900XT) -> Quadro FX3000.

Great improvement for 3Ds max 6 with extreme 6!!

If you want to have a better performace, go for 5900 instead of 5900XT...as it got better ram!!

3. raouuul

raouuul Guest

im thinking of just forgeting the whole thing. id like stability. a piece of mind. i dont want to be left with a hunk of useless....whatever material it is.

4. cruc1fy

cruc1fy Guest

Just so you know, you won't get all the functionality (hard AA, for example). I benchmarked (SPEC ViewPerf) a modded 5950 versus a real 3000 and a real 1100, and both authentic Quadros did better (though the major difference was in Unigraphics performance which won't effect Maya).

5. AlphaTier

AlphaTier Guest

if ya switch the resistor under the HIS, you'll get all functions, but still need NVSTrap. Sq4 is not needed anymore.

6. raouuul

raouuul Guest

thank you for your replys. i own a geforce 4 ti4600 run maya with it and dont have any real problems except that its oh so slow. but thats a cpu issue. i think. i have a friend that has the new radeon xt and says it runs blazin fast through maya. now isnt stability the main reason to use an fx that and drivers and stuff. if thats needed i dont see a purpose in modding a geforce to a quadro. the idea of being able to boot for gaming or for working is awesome but you lose graphic power for gaming and the above mentioned for working. yell at me if im wrong. this was all interesting to me before, i wanted more bang for my buck and 630.00 for a fx 1100 seemed way too much but now im not so sure.

7. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    hmm....i have a radeon 9800XT i dont think its blazin fast with maya...
    if i ware u id get it changed....i think u just need to flash it......that is if u buy the 5900Ultra......

its a very useful idea......i've also been trying to find out how its done....but no luck here......

8. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    hmm....i have a radeon 9800XT i dont think its blazin fast with maya...
    if i ware u id get it changed....i think u just need to flash it......that is if u buy the 5900Ultra......

its a very useful idea......i've also been trying to find out how its done....but no luck here......

u can wait for the 6800 ultra to come out because i think it uses a ddr3 and it comes in a 512mb version too....u know....thats going to be very good...for maya etc....

9. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Stick to original Quadros if you want stability & driver support for the future, since modding is going to be progressively harder to do in the new driver versions... ;)
    And if you want to softmod a Quadro in order to play games, just use NVStrap + NVStrap antiprotection and force a corresponding GeForce model. The slight performance change will be vissible only in OpenGL games. D3D performance appears to be identical.

10. raouuul

raouuul Guest

great, the replys are very helpful. alec never thought of going the other way, quadro to geforce. what sort of performance equivalence would i get with a quadro fx 1100? cheers.

11. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Gaming performance of a Quadro FX 1100 seems to be between a GeForce FX 5700 non-ultra and an ultra.

GeForce 5700 clock: GPU: 425 MEM: 500
    GeForce 5700 Ultra clock: GPU: 475 MEM: 900
    Quadro FX 1100 clock: GPU:425: MEM: 650

A far better deal for games IMHO seems to be the Quadro FX 1000 equiped with a better cooling for GPU & Memory and overclocked to FX 2000 speeds.

It will be equivalent to a GeForce FX 5800 (non-ultra)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004