HOWTO: Reset your graphics card

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Matt Hazard, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Matt Hazard

Matt Hazard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M/3072 MB
    Not sure if anyone else posted this. It didn't come up in a search, and it isn't a sticky; so I'm assuming I'm the first.

Anyways, this is my first howto, so go easy on me ;)

PROBLEM: You may have overclocked your graphics card a bit too much, and it may have downclocked itself to it's 2D performance clocks. What I mean by this is that you have to reset and recover your GPU because the driver crashed thus forcing your card to downclock itself into it's 2D performance clocks. In simple terms, your graphics card is rendering unusually slow.

Solution:

1. Download the Devcon utility that's specific to your computer's architecture (either 32 bit or 64 bit):

x64 bit: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5352623/devcon-7600.16385.win7_wdk.100208-1538-x64.zip (Scanned using Avira Internet Security 2013)

x32 bit (also known as x86): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272 (NOTE: I do not know specifically if this 32 bit version will work in Windows 7/8, though some forums hinted that it will)

2. Extract the files (NOTE: You may want to rename the extracted folder to "DevCon" or something easy to type)

3. Run your command prompt at Administrator Level (right click the Command Prompt shortcut and click "Run as Administrator": should say "Administrator: Command Prompt" in the blue title bar)

4. In your Command Prompt, browse to the folder where you downloaded the DevCon utility:

In a command prompt, you use the command cd to "Change Directory". So for example, let's say you downloaded and extracted your files to the Windows "Download" folder (and renamed the extracted file to "DevCon"). You would literally type this into your command prompt window (quotation marks included!):

cd "C:\Users\Matt Hazard\Downloads\DevCon" (NOTE: The "Matt Hazard" part after Users is your username specific to your computer. So yours may be "John Smith" if your computer username is John Smith.)

5. Now that you are in your DevCon folder, type this:

devcon listclass display

You will then see something confusing, like this:

[​IMG]

What you want is the Vendor ID of your NVIDIA card. That would be the first few digits before the "&" symbol. For example, mine is "VEN_10DE".

6. Then type this (Include the asterisks too):

devcon restart =display *ven_10de* (NOTE: The part that goes between the asterisks varies depending on what card you are using. Mine just happened to be ven_10de.)

7. Your screen should flicker for a few seconds, but your Graphics Card should be reset, ready for more overclocking. :)

SOURCES: The proper commands info was from SuperUser, and the download link to the correct DevCon X64 bit utility (compatible up to Windows 8 Pro) was located at Microsoft TechNet under Alan Isherwood's comment.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. Olvik

Olvik Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Thanks...

3. Matt Hazard

Matt Hazard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M/3072 MB
    Glad I could help. If you or anyone has any questions, or thinks one of my steps is too ambiguous, please feel free to leave feedback. :)

4. Olvik

Olvik Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    This well explained, you refer to NVIDIA, but I imagine it will also be valid for AMD, right?

A greeting.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Or you could simply click the reset button. ;)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  6. Olvik

Olvik Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I guess that sometimes refers fails card RESET.

A greeting.

7. Matt Hazard

Matt Hazard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M/3072 MB
    Yes, just make sure you got the right Vender ID. The Vender ID is the letters and numbers after the "PCI\" and before the "&" symbol and starts with VEN_

E.G. My NVIDIA card's Vender ID is: VEN_10DE
    And my Intel card's Vender ID is : VEN_8086

8. Matt Hazard

Matt Hazard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M/3072 MB

I see you changed your post.

Well then, I'll change mine.

♪♪ There's no mustache like my father's mustache ♪♪
    ♪♪ That's the biggest mustache in TOWN!!! ♪♪

*Play me off Johnny*
    ♪♪ ♪♪ ♪♪ ♪♪ ♪♪ ♪♪ ♪♪

9. Matt Hazard

Matt Hazard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M/3072 MB
    Yes correct. If you overclock certain cards a little too much, they'll downclock themselves to their 2D modes. You have to reset your card/driver in order to fix this problem.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's not wrong, I thought you meant the clock speeds. However I will remove it because I'm a nice person...

Btw AMD drivers reset themselves automatically, it's called VPU recover.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

11. Matt Hazard

Matt Hazard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M/3072 MB
    Ah, I see. Well then, I apologize for being belligerent, and thank you for removing your picture post. :)

Also, I have clarified what I meant in the "PROBLEM" section. Again, let me know if there is any ambiguity in my post so I can clarify it. Thank you. :)

Although....you can still reset an AMD card using this method, it would just be redundant as they reset themselves, eh?

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    There is a MUCH, MUCH easier way to do this in NVidia Inspector.
    In a shortcut to NVidia Inspector add "-restartDisplayDriver" to the target.

If that does not work you can also just open device manager, disable your GPU (you will still be able to see even if it's your only GPU in the pc) and re-enable it.

Or if you are more patient you can just restart your computer...

13. Matt Hazard

Matt Hazard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M/3072 MB
    WRONG! That was the first thing I tried, because on an ungodly amount of forums, that's the first thing that's suggested. And guess what? That never works. Surprise surprise. -_-

Besides, having the Devcon utility without having to download and install all 2 GB of the Windows Drivers Kit can be useful on it's own merits.

14. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    the nvidia inspector can work for nvidias.

But going to device manager or restart its too bad.

I had a 4770 which on my computer (and only on it idk why :bang:, a friend tried it and had no problems), after some random time, it would start sttutering and feeling choppy like madness (not in mid-game, just recently opened apps/games), i was with it during 1year, going to start menu and click a shortcut called "Restart GPU" was fine, but restart or going device manager... :bang:

Thanks for OP, a capacitor on my GPU exploded and i was too lazy to *remember* the steps i did that time, so for now i was restarting PC (SSD :p) when using dual monitor each time PC went to sleep (there is no problem with single which is what i use 95% of the time), now i'll simply launch a script doing this from the mobile phone.

PD: Oh, and of course, this is not only usefull for OCing :), living with semi-faulty cards can be more confortable with this.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  15. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Can't you just disable your GPU from Device Manager, and re-enable it? I've done this before after my driver crashed, and it worked just fine. When you disable the GPU, Windows (at least 8 does) loads the standard driver.

No idea how this would work on Crossfire/SLI though.

It's called VPU Recover on Windows XP. On Vista+ it's called TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) and is a Windows-specific thing, not vendor.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No it's not.
    VPU recover is specific to ATI drivers. TDR is a Windows bugcheck and can occur on any card or OS.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Its an AMD thing, look here for more information on the feature in AMD drivers.‎

18. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    so why did you delete the file from dropbox?