Which Case should I get?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Qgon, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Qgon

Qgon Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 MSI Gaming
    Hello!

I want a Case that is pretty silent yet efficient in cooling. I looked up many cases and those are my favorites:

1. Corsair Graphite 780T
    2. beQuiet! Silent Base 800

Which one should I get? Should i replace the stock coolers on the Corsair with Noctuas to get a more silent System?

Or can you recommend a better Case?

Thanks

2. Disintegrate

Disintegrate Member

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    Air 540 + h110i gt owner here.

All 5 fans (3 case and 2 for the cooler) are making awful noises.
    I will replace them all and return the stock fans to the seller.
    I personally have bad experience with Corsair fans.
    What am I going to do with the extra fans once they are supposedly repaired?
    Probably hide them in a box and forget about them :)
    You can make almost any case silent, some require more work from you, others come with insulation foam built in.
    Today I think all manufacturers do good job, as they have to keep up with each other, so it's really up to you which case you like and the amount of work you are willing to put into this PC.
    NZXT H440 is also worth checking out.

3. Qgon

Qgon Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 MSI Gaming
    Ok thanks!

Can you tell me something about your Build? I will go for almost the same :) Is your CPU Overclocked? Which Temps you get with your cooler?

4. Disintegrate

Disintegrate Member

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    The OC settings for me are - go in the BIOS, activate RAM XMP profile 2 3000MHz, adjust the CPU ratio so it will equal 4.5GHz and depending on my mood - Turbo Mode on/off. Everything else, like voltage etc., is set to auto.

Ambient room temps are 24C-28C.
    The fans on the rad were replaced with two Noctua industrial @3000rpm.
    The rad is at the top of the case, pushing air from the case through the rad and out of the case.
    Currently I have the stock case fans - 2x140mm front intake and 1x140mm back exhaust.
    If I keep turbo boost on @4.5GHz, it gets 31C-35C idle on the CPU core and under heavy load it stays in the high 60s, sometimes (prime95) low 70s.
    If I turn turbo boost off @4.5GHz, that increases the temps even more and idles are 46C-52C, under load it goes in the high 70s, sometimes it hits low 80s.
    These temps are achieved by setting the cooler to performance mode (around 2200RPM on the two 140mm fans) and it becomes quite loud, thankfully with the Noctuas it's just air flow and not grinding, vibrations and stuff.
    I can also use maximum speed, which will rotate the fans with around 2800RPM, but I find this not needed.
    One thing to impress me was that both Noctua fans spin at almost the same RPM, differentiating with only 1-3 RPM.
    I also set the case fans to max speed to provide sufficient amount of fresh air and that ads up to the noise - hopefully when my order of 3x120mm and 1x140mm Spectre Pro LEDs arrives, it will be much better.

Right now the Corsair cooler is set to quiet mode and the fans are rotating at 1000 RPM and are very silent.
    The case fans are set to 50%, which is about 600-700 RPM.
    The ambient room temp is 23C.
    At the moment core temp is 26.5C and I have few things running, but nothing much like video editing, rendering or anything.
    If I stress with AIDA, it gets 37C-38C on the CPU core and remains silent.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

As above you can make any case quiet and efficient

Agree about the stock Corsair fans,they're noisy like hell,I'm running H100i,tried stock fans and I replaced them for Noctua NF-F12,usually I'm running them at 75% if I do rendering and they're almost silent,at not so demanding SW or when outside is colder I'm running them at 45% and at this speed are quiet and silent

My case is Coolermaster Storm Trooper,there I'm running Arctic F12 PWM there(I'm replacing them for Noctua NF-F12 later on),they're quiet and pretty much silent at 50%,beyond that they're noisier,but not as those from Corsair,Corsair they're sound like jet fighters at 75%

Regarding the case,which you want to use,depends on you,but I'm looking as next case Lian Li or Corsair 750D Airflow Edition,where I will be replacing fans for Noctua again

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

6. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I had a corsair 600t-white for years, and i will not swap it out with anything other than a new one in the same series.
    The room, cooling and the look is just great and with lot of backspace to hide cables in.
    So i would buy the 780t

7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Hi, i have the h110i gt and use corsair link to run fans on custom curve profile starting at 35c-800rpm /40c-1000/45c-1500/50c-1750/55c-2100, i must admit that the pump was noisy for a couple of weeks but has settled down now ,i run the pump on quiet mode with divider of 4 and the cooler runs nice and quiet nowm if you not using corsair link i highly suggest you do.

8. Disintegrate

Disintegrate Member

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    Hi, the pump for me was always quiet, I use divider 2. Sometimes, when I open my PC to clean it and I lay it on one side, it makes noise like from air bubbles for an hour and it's back to silent.
    I really don't bother with custom curves, as the predefined presets are sufficient for my needs.
    However, the fans were piece of crap - no matter at what speed they spin. As a matter of fact it was worse on slow/mid sppeds.
    Noctua saved the day :)

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I'm loving my Corsair 760T but it's mainly because of the ridiculously huge window (it's all window, really) and great filtration. It's pretty quiet.

I bought my (now ex) girlfriend a Fractal Design R4 case which had some really nice sound dampening material lining most of the case. Definitely one of the more quiet cases I've ever used and the Fractal build quality is fantastic.

My daughter's Corsair 750D is darn near silent as well. Her boyfriend has the enormous Corsair 900D and, while he likes it, he's finding it a little too big.

Hard to go wrong with the Corsair cases.