New Google Nexus 7 Drop Test

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    If you are someone who is waiting to get your hands on Google's latest Nexus 7 tablet, you better take great care of it once you manage to do it. As you will see in the video posted below, the device...

New Google Nexus 7 Drop Test

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yes, indeed fragile.

3. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Idiotic test. I don't see how you can lose your grip on your tabby like that in a real world situation anyway. My tabby is my bathroom entertainment system. lol

4. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    More of ASUS legendary build 'quality'.

One of the most overrated companies in PCdom.

But, I agree with the above poster, I don't take my tablets out of the house without a shell or a case and I don't think I would be standing around on the sidewalk using it either, so the test is kind of worthless (for me at least).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well its a very extreme situation testing the worst that could likely happen to it during normal use

Chances are if you did drop it outside onto concrete it would be from waist height, not chest height, but from the looks of things, it would probably still break it

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Quite frankly, with the hardware and specs it has for the price it's being offered, it's not exactly surprising they wouldn't necessarily make it "fall proof"....if people were nicer to their electronics, no one would even know what "fall proof" meant

7. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    What else could anyone expect when these things are made to be as thin and light as possible? What about a "off the side of the boat water test" as well?

If you want thin and durable then you'll be stuck waiting on OLED.

8. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Being unable to survive a drop like that is hardly a sign of poor quality...

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Agreed. I don't think there are many devices out there that would survive this without a case. I wouldn't expect a 7" tablet to be able to withstand that at all. I'd hope a phone could, but again, I wouldn't expect it.

10. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Its a tablet not a mobile phone, they're not designed to withstand big drops. Should be pretty obvious lol

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I should have been a little bit clearer here.

The screen cracking I can totally understand, my comment was directed at the unit not powering on after the 1st drop which, imho, is weak.

As for the device, as you said, you are not going to get a better 7' device for that price.

The 7' Nexus is the only Android device I buy now (Using ATIV for 11' tablet and ATIV S for phone).

I loved the first Nexus 7 and I'm loving the 2nd Gen as well - As long as you get yourself a proper case/shell etc, you're going to be fine.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  12. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Had my Nexus 7 (2012) for several months dropped it once and guess what, it still works fine. Personally I think these tests are stupid, like I say I've dropped mine ONCE in nearly 8 Months!

Most electronic devices that are dropped 3-4ft on concrete wouldn't fair to well either I would imagine!

13. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Surface RT does well in drop tests.

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The only question about the non power on, is maybe to know if it is a retail one, or an early sample. Im not sure this will happend with all tab..

Anyway, i think this is the first drop test of a tablet i seen ( not have really looked for it anyway )... Smartphone are in general more solid due to the size.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I am going to refrain my self from going full fanboy on you! But you never go full fanboy.. :p

On topic, always hated the Nexus tablets almost as much as I hate the Ipad. Just don't see the point in a tablet at the moment in their current infantile state.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    my N4 has survived a few 3-4ft falls already and I've only had it about 2 months. Not even a scratch on it from those falls. However, I'd expect most 7" or larger tablets to at least break the screen from such a distance....

17. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    You mean it's just about as fast before as after? :nerd: