Info on AGP slots and their voltage

Discussion in 'Links' started by Glidefan, Feb 8, 2003.

1. CarT

CarT Guest

neo1.... do you know that your powersupply isn't a no namer ;) ?

2. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI AIW X800 AGP 2 Monitors

Power supply is good. It was supplied with the Antec case and is one of the best. It is over 400 W. I have a voltage monitoring program and all monitored voltages are good.

On google I found a review of of the 9800 XT. The cooling system is fantastic! I think the 9700 is well known now for its poor voltage regulation and the 9800 is well known for running far too hot. ATI produced two bad cards but looks like they have a winner with the 9800 XT.

I have since switched to the new 9600 AIW. It is the first AIW with dual monitor support and does not have the huge power draw that the 9700 and 9800 do.

My system is now almost perfect except for a few XP annoyances.

Thanks, neo

3. madh52

madh52 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x XFX 8800GTX
    Why do I have in my motherboard bios (asus p4p800) to choose the agp voltage only in a range going from 1.5 to 1.8 volts (4x agp) even if I have a 9700pro gpu, that's an 8x agp card??

4. bluesmoke

bluesmoke Member

GPU:
    ASUSN6600 EX SLI
    "On google I found a review of of the 9800 XT. The cooling system is fantastic! I think the 9700 is well known now for its poor voltage regulation and the 9800 is well known for running far too hot. ATI produced two bad cards but looks like they have a winner with the 9800 XT."
    -----
    I've got an 9800 XT and begun to have the same problem as you guys.
    Still i'me figuring out a way to solve the heat problem from this card. MY case temo raised by 5 º C, and i've had to underclock my cpu. I think i'm gonna trade in this piece of sh***t

5. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:

Yes, I have found heat and noise due to the fans and hard drives to be a problem with the current generation of high performance computers. After a great deal of research I was able to improve both. First, I have an Antec case with a larger than normal quiet power supply with 2 variable speed fans. I then found the Panaflo fans which have liquid bearings. They are much quieter. I replaced the case fans and added 3 internal fans. Last, I researched CPU coolers and ended up replacing the CPU heatsink with another all cooper with an external speed control.

6. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Info on AGP slots

I believe the ATI 9600 XT doesn't require the additional power cable required by the 9700 and 9800 series.........could that explain the added heat created by these cards that require more power to work properly..............the AGP slot is designed to operate @ 1.5 volts but with the additonal 12volts(probably less) required by the 9700 and 9800 they would need additional cooling..........:D

7. neo1

neo1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Re: Info on AGP slots

I have not used the XT series but have tried the 9700, 9800, and 9600 AIW in that order. The 9700 has known problems with voltage regulation and was unstable in my system even with the highest AGP voltage setting. My computer is on at least 12 hours every day and the 9800 burned out without overclocking in about 2 months. The GPU was hot enough to burn my finger even when the system was at idle. It drew huge amounts of power. Several times XP would not start and I received an error message that the additional power connector was not plugged in when it was. I finally had to run a power feed directly from one connection of the power supply just to the 9800.

I finally decided to drop back to the 9600 AIW because I wanted the AIW and the two monitors (first AIW to have two monitors). The 9600 has no additional power connector, is much smaller, and runs cool. Just to be safe I added an internal fan directed at the GPU.

I think current CPUs and GPUs are reaching a limit of power consumption and heat dissapation.

neo

8. corac

corac New Member

GPU:
    Redeon 9800pro
    Sapphire 9800pro with 3.3v (AGP 2x)?

Hi,

has anyone experiences in running his 9800pro with 3.3V (AGP 2x) ?

My board only supports AGP 2x with 3.3v (its an old one) and i am not sure, if my new Sapphire 9800pro 128 DDR-I will do it. The technical spec under http://www.sapphiretech.com/broschure/9800pro.pdf said, it will do 3.3v. The card also has the 3.3v notch and it fits in my slot.
    Now i am confused, because the Print on the retailpackage only said 1.5v and 0.8v. 3.3v not mentioned anymore and the Sapphiresupport said, only the second AGP Standard with AGP 2x/4x will work and not mine AGP 1x/2x.
    I don´t know, what is right and what is wrong.

Maybe anyone of you has an idea. But why should the card have an 3.3v notch, when no 3.3v is supported?
    Thanks

9. Goff

Goff Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 55nm SSC
    Why are you running a 9800pro on that system?!??!?! It's going to be majorly bottlenecked

10. corac

corac New Member

GPU:
    Redeon 9800pro
    it was a good deal for about $160 and the old card was very slow (TNT2 Ultra). What about the 3.3v?

11. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I didn't read this entire post, but if you're running agp 3.0 8x and the only volt-settings you have are 1.6, 1.7 & 1.8, wich should u use?

12. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    AGP slots

Present day 8X AGP slots run as fast as the videocard is designed to go...............1.5 Volts.........no higher and no lower period.............:D

13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    great..

14. skeeb

skeeb Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 660ti 2g
    Ok, please help me here... I have just got my 9800pro. Games look awesome... but in hardware mon it says that my core is 1.7V and my aux is 1.23V they are both in red. Is the core my cpu and aux is agp? How do I change this or is this ok? My games keep rebooting on me after a while an done time it said "out of range" on my monitor. I dont want to fry this card it was too much money. Also... I didnt use the y cable with it because I have 2 hard drives. So I have a cable for cdroms, cable for 2 hard drives, and a cable for my agp and case fans. Should I do this different? Please someone help!

15. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    9800 Pro problems...

I've read your profile and decided to look at your motherboard specs. ............I discovered an article on the web that explains the problems encountered with your motherboard and a ATI 9700 Pro......eventhough you have a 9800 Pro..........here it is...........

Good features, but rather unstable for gaming purposes.
    by Nick Askew, Wakefield, UK
    Jun. 24, 2003

Overall Product Rating:

Pros: Lots of features
    Cons: I found it very unstable - XP2k & XP2200 with ATI Rad9700Pro

Recommended: No
    Has Owned Product: 8 Month(s)

Comments:
    I purchased this product November last year (2002), had two very frustrating months trying to get it stable enough to play computer games without crashing 10 minutes into the game and didn't succeed. I spent countless hours trolling FAQ's, Forums and Newsgroups trying to find other people with the symptoms I was having but only managed to find a handfull. I tried countless versions of video card drivers for both an nVidia GF3 and ATI Radeon 9700 Pro yet it still crashes. Various versions of VIA4in1, O/S patches, updated BIOS (december), tried moving the gaming HD around the various IDE channels, removed Creative Soundcard (5.1 Plat - I admit Creative sound cards don't work very reliably on AMD machines..), bought another 450w PSU, had the electricity company test my lines for interference and finally purchased a 1250w UPS. In it's defence, as long as I wasn't using any graphics intensive software - it was as stable as you can get.. but soon as the 3d stuff started hitting the video card, poof! - Both graphics cards worked fine in my old ABIT KG7-RAID before I bought the Gigabyte, and wondering whether the Gigabyte had nuked my cards I tried them again - worked fine. So, I ended up sticking it in the back of a cupboard and buying an ABIT AT7-MAX2 which runs all of my stuff without even hiccupping. (now, i WOULD recommend this board!) - Oh, and it wasn't a temperature issue either, I have been using CPU watercooling for quite some time now along with more than adequate cooling for the northbridge/vid card/hard drives, none of the components ever hit more than 41degc externally.

I think you need to upgrade your motherboard or flash your BIOS or maybe a new CPU.........it probably can't keep up with the video GPU.............:(

16. skeeb

skeeb Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 660ti 2g
    LOL, just talked to gigabyte tech. They told me my board cant handle the 9800pro. I said that the manual and box says it is 8x agp compatible... they said that it isnt!!! They said it is backwards compatible with agp 4x and when I play games that try to use 8x it kicks me out! Way to go Gigabyte for being jacka**es! so... went out today and paid 100 for an Aopen AK77-600N board. Looks pretty nice and so far it is working great except I havent tested any games yet since I had to reload all of windows! Ill keep you guys posted. Could be a good indicator though that the culpret is the MOBO for the other guys with this issue.

17. 8itgreat

8itgreat Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb w/Si
    well i changed a video card out of my main system and took the old gf4 ti4200 8x 128mb and put it in the old system a p2 with an intel se440bx-2 chipset...with agp 1 ....didnt even think of voltages and saw no warning stickers lol cause the system is five years old ....anyways...

it works lol...didnt bork anything...runs only in 2x agp...how is this possible...cause in reality it shouldnt work?????? i do hear a surge every once in a while for a second ....but not for a while only the first week or so...now its running fine...weird

p.s to the guy above me ...ouch...i too have a gigabyte board on my main system...ran fine in 8xagp with the gf4...but 9800 pro nope, only 4x.....but the difference is only 1-4% buddy in performance....so i think you wasted 100 bucks my friend...unless you love the new mobo and selling the old...i was going to do the same thing, but thought for that little performance increase it was silly

Last edited: Mar 18, 2004
  18. Arauthator

Arauthator Member

GPU:
    Abit R9800XT
    PSU's

I was up and down the scale this past week over voltages on my Abit R9800XT. Couldn't pinpoint the problem and finally it came it me. I went and purchased a 90 dollar UPS backup that regulated my power coming in from the wall. This stabilized my system and as a bonus feature, I get 30 minutes auxiliary power before the computer shuts down. How coo l is that?

19. moonracer

moonracer Guest

Sorry to hear that I am not alone in this frustration. Here's what little I've gathered so far from trial and error:

I bought my Radeon 9700 pro 2 months ago and have been battling with it ever since. It seems if I switch from 8x to 4x AGP, link the adapter power cord to my HD, and set the 3d settings all the way to "Performance" I can get the card to work 'most' of the time.

Unfortunately after reading this thread I checked my BIOS and there is no option to change the AGP voltage. Though I did change the aperture size from 64 to 256(max in options) and this seemed to help a tad, which seems odd. I've never messed with overclocking utilities so I don't know and was wondering. Can I use them to underclock as well? Or might I be able to change the AGP voltage setting through an overclocking util(since I can't in BIOS)?

I've ended up upgrading everything in my computer (used troupbleshooting as an excuse) so I can't think of any other issues. My Itel MB came with a temp and power monitor which shows everything is fine.

Even with this about every 5th boot up gets graphical corruption when windows boots up (and I have to turn my computer off and on till it loads up right). That and I can get games to run maybe a 3rd of the time without crashing right away.

Overal, not the best of first impressions for a new ATI user. I could have bought a $100 video card and got the same quality 3D acceleration and more stability.