ReShade - Advanced post-processing everywhere (SweetFX)

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by CeeJay.dk, Nov 30, 2014.

1. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    The topic was about getting SweetFX_1.5.1 to work in ESO not Reshade.
    Consequently, all your posts about Reshade are totally irrelevant.

Completely disregard all the posts about Reshade since it has absolutely nothing to do with getting SweetFX_1.5.1 to work in ESO.

If you watch the video in the link again he explains that his old ESO install that had been receiving the auto-updates would not work with SweetFX_1.5.1.
    He said that SweetFX_1.5.1 only worked after he downloaded the latest version of ESO and fully reinstalled the game.
    However, ESO has a "Repair" option in the game options menu that you might try first to see if it fixes things.

If you have a copy of the original game & the latest patch I would suggest just reinstalling. :)

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I have not downloaded the older 1.5.1 version of SweetFx (Based on the SMAA injector I believe.) but it should be the exact same thing when it comes to ESO, game won't for whatever reason start with a new folder in the same location as the game exe so move the folder in after the game has loaded or modify the shader files so they load one folder back as to avoid the issue. :)
    (If SweetFx 1.5.1 or rather the InjectSMAA .dll allows such a procedure, else it's better to just upgrade to SweetFx 2.0 / ReShade as there's no doubt several presets available for download for that too both for the basic SweetFx pack and the more extensive shader framework version.)

3. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    And there it is.
    Of course we all knew that's what you were up to in the first place wasn't it.
    You clearly aren't interested in helping with SweetFX_1.5.1.
    You are obviously only interested in destroying all competition to Reshade.

Like many others I have used original SweetFX & SweetFX_Boulotaur from their inception up until the present with total success.
    During that time I also watched the creation of the EFX injector with its long development period, spotty performance, and ultimate abandonment.
    I have also watched Reshade/EFX_2.0 go through many ever changing versions since its public release and it still hasn't achieved the 100% success rate I already have with SweetFX.
    The simple truth is that Reshade provides no actual benefit to me and many others over original SweetFX & SweetFX_Boulotaur.

If you or anybody else wants to volunteer to be bug testers for Reshade then that is certainly your prerogative.
    As for me, I like to use software that actually works right now. :)

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I wasn't aware there was any competition between the SweetFx 1.5.1 shaders and it's injector and the ReShade one but the choice on what to do is his or hers and it's nothing more than a suggestion however the SMAA Injector or what 1.5.1 is actually using is unlikely to be updated further and ReShade is getting closer to a stable release so I see nothing but advantages to switching over but many of the older presets will of course only work with SweetFx 1.5.1 so if that's a issue and if the "trick" with loading the shader folder later actually works with the older injector then that works too as the main issue here was with Elder Scrolls Online compatibility which is tricky because it has this quirk with not wanting to start when other folders are present in the same folder as the games exe file. :)

(Also wasn't there in fact plans for a SweetFx 1.6.0 update later on for those wanting to use the older injector? I'm sure Crosire or one of the other actual SweetFx creators can clarify that.)

5. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    Congratulations, that has to be the longest run-on sentence I have ever seen in a forum post.

Anyway, there is a fundamental flaw in the main argument which you seem to be making.
    SweetFX_1.5.1 & SweetFX_Boulotaur are already 100% effective for me and I suspect that they are for most other people as well.
    Your suggestion that people should abandon them and use a buggy injector that is still in the beta testing stage instead is just silly.
    Basically, all this cheerleading from the Reshade supporters is utterly pointless.
    Reshade will never be a practical replacement for the injectSMAA or Boulotaur injectors unless it works better than they do.

Just to be clear, I am not against Reshade.
    However it is improper (and frankly rude) to interrupt a support thread for SweetFX_1.5.1 and try to derail it in favor of Reshade.
    Reshade.me is the proper venue for discussing support issues regarding Reshade and I am fairly certain that you can cheerlead it there all you like. :)

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Not to drag this out any further but this topic as far as I can tell is for both the earlier 1.5.1 version of SweetFx and the new 2.0 version which is currently only available with ReShade or actually it's about the SweetFx shaders and support for them moreso than the injector program used alongside. :)
    (I'm not exactly all that great with arguments either so I'll just stop here, main thing was to give a reply regarding ESO compatibility and that's done.)

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Reading this is like

[​IMG]

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Heh, that's why I decided to stop arguing about it, felt like it was just going round and round or how to say so it'll be better if it's put to rest.
    (Hopefully Celrond manages to sort out this problem with potential Windows DirectX files having been replaced and then the game compatibility problem itself which I think I've said all there is to say about it, ha ha.)

EDIT: (As to not post more than I already have in this thread and let things go back to normal.)

Very well. :)

9. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    Actually the situation isn't very difficult to understand:

SweetFX is a shader suite created by CeeJay.dk several years ago which uses the injectSMAA injector by mrhaandi.
    The most current release of this official version is SweetFX_1.5.1.
    Boulotaur2024 also created an injector for SweetFX which had its final release with Swfx_Injector_20130601.
    The important thing to note here is that both of these versions of SweetFX are considered completely stable & reliable.
    Consequently, all SweetFX_1.5.1 or SweetFX_Boulotaur support questions can & should be asked in this forum.

Reshade is a new injector that is being developed by Crosire which CeeJay and others are currently writing shaders for.
    The important thing to note here is that this injector and the shaders utilizing it are still being bug tested.
    Consequently, it is very important for all Reshade support questions to be asked at the Reshade.me Bug Reporting & Support section
    so that they can be properly catalogued and responded to.
    There is also a SweetFX section there for questions related to SweetFX_2.0 specifically.

:)

10. blue_kid

blue_kid Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @jackie, for War Thunder i'm using SweetFX 1.5.1, no ReShade
    I was able to fix the fonts problem by disabling the SMAA_ANTIALIASING
    I tried to disable each option from SMAA_ANTIALIASING, to find out which one is the culprit, with no result
    " #define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.14 // [0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold. If SMAA misses some edges try lowering this slightly. I prefer between 0.08 and 0.12.
    #define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 72 // [0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
    #define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16 // [0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
    #define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 50 // [0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners. 0 seems to affect fine text the least so it's the default.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
    #define COLOR_EDGE_DETECTION 1 // [0 or 1] 1 Enables color edge detection (slower but slightly more acurate) - 0 uses luma edge detection (faster)
    #define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND 0 // [0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.
    //Enable this only if you use a Geforce 7xxx series or older card, or a Radeon X1xxx series or older card.
    So i did set to ON or OFF ( 0 or 1 ) everything, one by one, as i said, i couldn't find out which setting is causing the fonts problem
    Only if i disable the whole SMAA_ANTIALIASING ( #define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 0 // [0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the SMAA technique ) the fonts are looking ok

Yesterday i tried ReShade 0.18.3 Public Beta with Framework for Project Cars, it's working but the game crash a lot, with the error
    " Unhandled exception trapped. EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at
    0x40d9a66d. Reading from Address 0x00000000. Thread 0x00002338

Build SMSARI.20150507.1001.BLDA000
    Is that maybe because of the ReShade 0.18.3 Public Beta with Framework ?
    Thanks

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  12. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    You made a post about your War Thunder issue on the Reshade.me forum that you even reprinted here verbatim.
    Are you saying that you were actually reporting a problem with SweetFX_1.5.1 on the Reshade.me forum???

Stop making Reshade bug reports here.

It accomplishes absolutely nothing and is an obnoxious waste of everybody's time.
    Besides the fact that it makes about as much sense as asking for Mac support on a Windows forum,
    it actually makes the job of the Reshade developers more difficult.

Please report issues with Reshade at Reshade.me in the Bug Reporting & Support section.
    link: http://reshade.me/forum/index

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  13. XRyche

XRyche Guest

GPU:
    MSI AMD R7 265 OC 2GB
    Wow, this thread is going to slowly die until/if CeeJay.dk makes SweetFX 2.0 usable with a independent injector. Don't take this as a criticism of SweetFX in general or SweetFX 1.5.1. I used SweetFX up to 1.5.1 till when Reshade with SweetFX 2.0 was made available to the general public. I was perfectly happy and impressed with Sweetfx independently until then. Unfortunately, as long as SweetFX 2.0 is solely dependent on ReShade people are going to keep coming here (be it right or wrong, knowingly or unknowingly, ignorant or just plain stupid). I personally wouldn't object to using SweetFX 2.0 independently with it own injector myself since some of the games I currently use don't require, or can't use anything but SweetFX alone.

14. Bards n Lard

Bards n Lard Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x
    Is there a way to apply SweetFX to a video?

15. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    ???
    Sorry, but you aren't making much sense.
    SweetFX_2.0 is being written to work with an "independent" injector called Reshade.
    CeeJay has stated that when he is finished with SweetFX_2.0 he will release SweetFX_1.6 official version for the injectSMAA injector.
    The activity that is currently happening on the Reshade.me forum is mostly bug reports and screenshots with blurry backgrounds anyway.

I think you will find that a large number of people (especially SweetFX veterans) continue to use SweetFX_1.5.1 & SweetFX_Boulotaur quite happily.
    Since the official version is completely stable & reliable then of course there aren't going to be a lot of people coming here with problems.
    Besides, Reshade actually has more cons than pros for me personally.
    Not the least of which is the fact that some games won't work with it and the last version I tried wouldn't work with ENB at all.

With all due respect, your supposed concern for the health of official SweetFX seems more than a little misplaced to me. :)

On the SweetFX_1.5.1 title page you will find a link for shaders that CeeJay has written for use with MediaPlayerClassic.
    link: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=395072

Last edited: May 15, 2015

16. Bards n Lard

Bards n Lard Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x
    Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

Do you know if there's a toggle on/off key for the shaders on MPC-HC?

17. XRyche

XRyche Guest

GPU:
    MSI AMD R7 265 OC 2GB
    When I say "independent" I mean without any other shader suites to confuse, hinder, complicate the user (you chose the word that's fits your view)

Also with "all due respect", my concern for the health of this thread was more due to the fact of how belligerent you are with anyone who dosen't agree with you or dosen't adhere to the fact that this is a thread for SweetFX 1.5.1 and asks about SweetFX 2.0 . As far as I know you are not an appointed moderator or the like so why are you policing this thread to begin with. I tried being amicable initially but you wouldn't have it.

Also people who use the phrase "with all due respect" by no means really mean "all due respect". It is just a clever way, or so they think, to mask their contempt and believe in their own unwavering superiority.

18. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    [​IMG]

I have been thinking about my previous response to your post and I realized that I may have misunderstood your meaning.
    If your intention was to encourage CeeJay to make SweetFX independent from all third party injectors (including injectSMAA & Reshade) then I actually agree with you.

There is no logical reason why SweetFX should not be self sufficient.
    In order to be in that position, SweetFX needs to have its own exclusive injector that should be transparently developed as an open-source project in-house.
    If that could be accomplished then SweetFX would be able to confidently step into the future without depending on any outside parties whatsoever.

Of course since CeeJay has always shown no interest in writing an injector himself, it obviously means that somebody else would have to do it.
    Although the Boulotaur2024 injector was initially very promising, it is unlikely that any further development will be done to it.
    Therefore, the only alternative would be for a new injector to be created by an individual or group of SweetFX users who have the necessary skills to do so.
    Strict open-source policies would have to be adhered to or the whole thing would be a waste of time however.

:)

19. XRyche

XRyche Guest

GPU:
    MSI AMD R7 265 OC 2GB
    That's pretty much what I was trying to get across except I was trying to hint at maybe CeeJay.dk could maybe even modify, with permissions if needed and possible, the current batch of SweetFX 1.5.1 compatible injectors to work with SweetFX 2.0. Having access to the depth buffer and the ability to predict aliasing via the depth buffer even a little does help a small amount in anti-aliasing with SMAA in most cases if not all. I have seen some improvement, not a huge amount, mind you, in all the games I use SMAA with depth prediction on. Frankly, SMAA is the biggest reason I use SweetFX to begin with. The myriad ways to manipulate colour without jumping through all kinds of hoops is another big plus as well.

Also, thank you for responding maturely and reasonably to my post. It shows that you are not wholly belligerent and have the capacity to respond appropriately to reasonable post. Even if the poster is mistaken or not adhering strictly to the subject of the thread (ie. talking about SweetFX 2.0 in a SweetFX 1.5.1 thread). Please respond to others with the same courtesies. I'm not saying let people walk all over you but respond in a polite manner if the poster is polite as well. It dosen't matter if the poster is asking "stupid" (might not even be a stupid question to them), "inane", or totally unrelated questions.

Time for me to get off my little soap box I created for myself here. Sorry all for the needless drama. I'll go back to my quiet lurking again :) .

20. jackie

jackie Guest

GPU:
    *Sigh*
    I am afraid that you seem to be somewhat confused about the situation so let me explain it more clearly to you.

Your original post was so disjointed that I simply assumed you were not a native-english speaker and I did the best I could to figure out what you meant.
    Since I had the post saved in a word processing program, I read it later several times to see if I could decipher it any better.
    When I surgically lifted that single sentence out of the garbled mess, I came to the conclusion that I might have been incorrect in my initial assumption about the intended meaning of the post.
    Consequently, I made an amended response to that post and I had not even read your second post at the time.

Regarding your latest diatribe, I would appreciate it if you could stop ascribing actions to me which I have never done.
    Although it is somewhat amusing, it is getting a little tedious.
    Your attempt to claim that it is somehow belligerent or impolite to point out that it is improper to post Reshade bug reports on this forum is just silly.

Lastly, your request that injectSMAA should be "modified" by CeeJay to include a depth buffer is obviously not going to happen.
    Besides, the generic depth buffer is the most problematic feature of the Reshade injector.
    Furthermore, CeeJay has already stated that SMAA performance in Reshade is worse than injectSMAA pending some future optimizations.
    Basically, if you just want SMAA+ColorCorrection+Sharpening then use SweetFX_1.5.1 or SweetFX_Boulotaur.
    They already have that and more totally covered and they don't have the baggage of Reshade's problems.

I originally wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt but your subsequent post has made me think that was probably a mistake.
    Like many others here, I am a SweetFX user who has followed its development from the beginning.
    Before that, I was using FXAAinjector & injectSMAA and prior to those I was using ENB.
    You seem to lack some basic knowledge about the injectors and you might want to do some research before you come on a forum like this.
    Once you educate yourself a little more you might be less inclined to attempt to stridently browbeat the veterans. ;)

Last edited: May 17, 2015