The Darkness 2 [Official thread]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TheHunter, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I don't how as the main menu text and subtitles etc. displayed just fine pre-update with the current v290.53 betas I'm using. With those same drivers and post-update the text no longer displays.

2. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Demo works like a charm. Great visuals, tight gameplay and awesome audio. A must buy for me :)

3. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Just thought I'd post as our systems are very similar. 290.53 drivers here and win 7 64bit, no issues what so ever with demo. Steam is also installed on a seperate hardrive....

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    One little thing that annoys me about this game. In the first one, you could use your demon arms to break the lights so you can recharge your darkness powers. I haven't been able to do that in this one. Instead, I have to waste ammo to shoot them out.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    You can slash out the lights. It's what I've been doing.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Really? I've gotten right next to them and tried slashing and stabbing them and it hasn't been working.

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    If I could get FRAPs to work with the demo I'd show you. But, for some reason... FRAPs won't record when I'm playing The Darkness II demo.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for that.

Are you using MSI Afterburner and/or D3DOverrider though?

I had triple-buffering forced for the demo and tried to get Afterburner to display its OSD by enabling the Direct3D option (click on the spanner icon and check the box) but it doesn't work anyway. When I disabled both of those, the text was still mysteriously absent but I had not tried restarting my PC and reloading the demo. Those are the only things I could think of that might possibly interfere with the demo but then it was working OK before the update fix.

I'll try the demo once more tonight and if it still doesn't work then I'll uninstall it. I've cancelled my pre-order for the game anyway.

9. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    The only time i saw intro/story text blurred or overlapped was when i alt+tab and then back, otherwise its fine.

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    have you tried without d3doverrider and afterburner ?

11. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    I'm using MSI afterburner 2.1 but solely as a fan controller with ALL other monitoring bits disabled as they can cause issue, albeit minor. No longer use D3D overider at present.

I trust you have deleted all program/app hidden data files etc when reinstalling. Best to start completely fresh as I downloaded demo in patched state. Just a thought.

12. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    This demo is freakin' broken. I have reinstalled my drivers without Nvidia3d and physx. Cleaned up excess driver fragments with driver sweeper. Disabled MSI afterburner, disabled D3Doverrider, messed around with the nvidia control panel, and disabled my firewall and still the game CTD 3 seconds after starting it! What the HELL?? I even removed the BinkW32.dll file to stop the videos from playing and it just shows a black screen followed by the same CTD.:bang::cussing:

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes. Twice. Makes no difference. It was working with both before the update though.

If I had to take a guess at the problem then I'd say it's the font is corrupted what the game uses as everything works fine and I can play the demo, just like almost everyone else. I just cannot see any text at all so I can't change options or enabled subtitles.

14. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    done the first one on xbox, LOVED the ending. FFS for once it's not a shiny happy ending or a crappy one for that matter, please don't spit on it :p

now about the second, even if they made a change to the artistic direction, must say it look quite good and kick even more ass than the first one. right from the intro you know what to expect, it gonna be immoral, violent, gruesome and people are going to encounter every gruesome death possible by dozen packs.

it may be one of his flaw, you're so overpowered next to your enemy it's laughtable. all it take is to shot a light bulb to turn you into an invincible demonic killing machine, and yet you got 4 skill tree of darkness upgrade to fill up Oo talk about turning your enemy into a bloody pulp :p

totally over the top, i love this game already :p

15. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    ****ing Zonealarm was the culprit! Turns out even after disabling it some of its stupid apps were still running in the task manager. After dumping that **** software I can now play the demo.

16. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    I'm so glad they decided to keep the Darklings. So cool, so crude!

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'm glad they dropped the idea of multiple, different types of Darklings... and instead give you one Darkling, with his own personality and behavior.
    Much better.

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Dropped about an hour into it, game is awesome.

20. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Yeah Afterburner didnt work either, until unwinder added support for it. Maybe fraps has to update to.