GTX 960 question help me out guys!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by laststop, Sep 29, 2014.

1. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    Now I know nobody has any inside information but I just would like to hear opinions if my assumption is correct. The GTX 970 has a tdp of 145 watts which is very close to the 150 watt limit of having just 1 6 pin power connector. My girlfriend has a PC she bought from dell and the GPU that comes with it only had 1 6 pin power connector and that's all the psu provides.

Is it safe to assume that since the gtx 970 has a 145 tdp and theoretically should be able to make it with 1 6 pin it's just not run that way since its so close that the GTX 960 should probably shave at least another 20 watts so like a 125 tdp which should put it well within safety limits of pci-e slot + 6 pin power as that supplies 150 watt.

She is looking to replace a radeon 5770 which is just too slow for many games nowadays. But can only afford power limit wise 150 watt and below gpu's. In your guy's opinion do you think the GTX 960 will be run with 1 6 pin connector to make the replacement an easy swap in?

Also about how long does nvidia historically take to release the gtx 960 version after the flagships are out? And should the gtx 960 be able to max every game out ultra settings in 1920x1080?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    i doubt itll be a 1 6pin, previous x60s havent been 1 6pin.

A 750ti would be a good upgrade, otherwise swap out the psu. Dells consumer models are generally crap.

3. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    I know previous x60's haven't been 1 6 pin but current x70's are 145 tdp and 1 6 pin = 150 watts. x60's always have lower power use than the x70's and x70's were riding the line and have mainly been upgraded to an 8 pin due to overclocking.

Also previous x60's didn't have the luxury of being on maxwell which is so power efficient. I feel like there is a very good chance some gtx 960's will have 1 6 pin shouldn't 150 watt be enough for a gtx 960? Technically 150 watt should be enough for a gtx 970 at reference stock

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Theyll still use 2 6 pins for additional OC, which most people do.

5. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    But I have seen instances where not all manufactures over spec for OC. Maybe the reference model will be a single 6 pin since its likely to have only a 125 watt tdp. But I appreciate the input. Is there any hope the gtx 960 will have a version released with 1 6 pin since it should run totally fine with 150 watts?

Also I dont think the majority of people OC their GPU's sure the majority around here do but the population in general I would say most leave the GPU at stock

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Ill take an educated guess that the 960 will have aprox. 1344 cores, thatll be 10-15% less power at most.

The 970 TDP is capable of running on 1 6pin but NV didn't provide just 1, they added a 2nd for extra OC potential, i can only assume theyll do the same. Is it possible theyll just use 1, yes, but unlikely IMO.

7. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    it will have lower clocks as well not just reduced cores 15% less power would be 21.75 watts less. 123.25 watts. and if it has 20% less power for whatever reason thats 29 less watts or only 116 watts. I think there is a good chance that at least 1 manufacturer will make a single 6 pin version.

NV added the extra pci-e power because the 970 was so close to the 150 watt max. The 960 should give them a lot more breathing room. and who knows they may disable some rops as well on the 960 and maybe even drop memory bus down to 192 bit so we could see even lower power numbers. Dropping to 192 bit bus wont be so bad for 1080p gamers.

I just dont think its as cut and dry as you think. Manufacturers may add the extra power for their high end premium cards like evga classified and FTW. But the standard cheapest evga may go with the single 6 pin. Sometimes it's a big advantage for a company to offer both configurations appealing to a larger group of people in limited setups.

I think the GTX 960 will be a perfect candidate to offer a 6 pin and a 8 pin version. 6 pin for the simple stock users that want a lower power, quieter rig and 8 pin version on the more expensive custom cards for the OC'ers plus the extra power delivery can be used as a selling tactic to upsell people to spend more on the higher end versions.

8. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    Actually as recently as the radeon r9 270 some manufacturers went with 2x 6 pin connectors on their highest overclocked cards while using 1x 6 pin on others. This isn't as rare of a practice as it sounds. I think the GTX 960 is the PERFECT candidate to have your highly overclocked boards use additional pci-e power cables and your regular versions to use 1x 6 pin power. It helps drive sales of the more expensive card as you can use that feature in advertising "extra 6 pin pci-e power pins for EXTREME overclocking headroom" and for the cheaper cards using 1 less power connector slightly lowers the BOM price to enlarge the profit margin on the cheaper non oc d cards.

I just really hope they release a single 6 pin gtx 960. It will definitely fall way under the 150 watt requirement and even at 150 watts there will be room for some overclocking. By offering both versions you can upsell a lot of people that will just worry about not having enough power. You can take advantage of it to drive sales of the 2x 6 pin version as your extreme overclocker while catering to the people that only have 1 6 pin and don't want to tear up the entire build to change a PSU out.

Also the GTX 960 will probably be their highest volume selling card. It will be the perfect card for 1920x1080 gaming which lets face it is the vast majority of gamers. This card will also be a huge seller for OEMS which will most likely start most of their gaming desktops with the gtx 960 as the base default selection. Running off just 1 6 pin allows OEM'S to integrate that card with a cheaper PSU and we all know how oems love to squeeze every penny of profit possible from their machines. IF card manufacturers want their gpu to be inside the oem machines they will want a 1x 6 pin version since that card will be ever so slightly cheaper to integrate into the base model of a desktop and OEM wins can mean huge profits for the card manufacturer

9. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I´m pretty sure it´s gonna be one 6 pin just like the gtx660, they´re very focused on efficiency lately... now for ultra settings, not even the highest end guarantees that because some devs just can´t deliver good graphics and great performance at the same time.

Now I´m waiting for them too but it has to be a 6gb card because that´s what you gonna need to max textures out in the near future, I like to play games with the textures they were authored with. Ahaha seriously, if nvidia doesn´t make an affordable 6gb card I´m gonna get an AMD.

10. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    192bit, 3Gb card, 1280 Cores, 48 ROPs, 6Ghz Memory, 144GB/s, 1 6pin or 1 8pin connector,
    120W TDP.

You heard it here first.

11. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    yea im leanin towards nano. I'm sure it will be able to be found with 1 6 pin

12. Apocalyptic God

Apocalyptic God Member

GPU:
    GTX 660Ti 2xSLI
    GTX960 192bit, 2Gb card, 1088 Cores, 48 ROPs, 7Ghz Memory $199
    GTX960Ti 192bit, 4Gb, 1472 Cores, 48 ROPs, 7Ghz Memory $259

My guess.