GTX 780 Ti rebooting problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by symphonyX, Feb 5, 2014.

1. symphonyX

symphonyX Guest

GPU:
    Palit Jetstream GTX 780Ti
    So I just got me a Palit Jetstream GTX 780 Ti yesterday, but my PC keeps on rebooting when starting up games

Tomb raider - reboots on main menu
    Futuremark - reboots as soon as firestrike starts
    Far cry 3 - loads fine but reboots after 5-10mins of playing
    Heaven benchmark 2.5 - no reboots so far, runs fine with 2 loops, haven't tested the latest version

No error code, it just reboots. Faulty card? or is my PSU breaking down / can't handle the load? still running @ stock speeds, didn't have this problem with my last setup. Any thoughts guys?

specs:
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.3v
    Asrock Z68 extreme4 gen3
    8gb Ripjaws X ddr3 1600
    60gb G.skill Phoenix pro ssd
    2TB Seagate hd
    2x Sapphire HD6950 unlocked
    Cougar GX 1050w psu

2. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    I sounds like u PSU can`t keep up with the card,but just wait for some more opinions.

3. kaingr

kaingr Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
    try powering the card using different cables from the source of the psu i mean usually if its modular the psu or not but get an 8 pin from one rail and an 6 pin from another.If the problem persists its probably the psu. Also you can try upgrading your mobo and gpu firmware and try a clean install of windows.

sorry for my english i hope u understood what i was saying

4. chasus

chasus Guest

GPU:
    -
    I suppose you are not using both 6950s with the new 780Ti.
    I assume the 780Ti replaces both the 6950s.

Then, it is hard to imagine the PSU was able to handle two 6950s but cannot handle one 780Ti. I suggest:

a. remove both 8-pin PCIe connectors from the 780Ti and then reinsert them. Even though they look like they are inserted properly, but it is good to redo to confirm.

b. also remove the 780Ti from the mobo and reinsert again

c. assuming you are using the 2 fixed non-modular (6+2)pin PCIe power cables for the 780Ti, try using +12V5/+12V6 (ie red connectors of the power supply) to supply power to the card

d. make sure all traces of AMD drivers are gone as it is possible that there is driver conflict between AMD's and Nvidia's in some rare cases.

Your PSU cannot be more than 2-3 years old and so the chance of its failing is small. And the chance that the PSU breaks down exactly at the time when you make a graphics card change is just like winning the lottery. But people do win lottery and so you never know.

5. symphonyX

symphonyX Guest

GPU:
  6. symphonyX

symphonyX Guest

GPU:
    @chasus

yeah did those already, used driver sweeper on safe mode and even tried the latest beta and official nvidia drivers, re-seated the card, switched cables. I thought it was weird also not being able to handle the 780ti while I had no problems with 2 6950s.

Gonna try it in a different pci-e lane. And you think it's ok to use the splitter type cable that came with my card? to compensate for the lack of power, if that is what's causing the problem

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  7. chasus

chasus Guest

GPU:
    -
    There is no need to use that splitter cable. Your PSU has two fixed non-modular and six modular PCIe power cables. Each of these has a (6+2)pin connector. So, you do not need to convert 6-pin to 8-pin at all. Just use two (6+2)pin connectors.

But then, there is no harm if you want to use it to convert two 6-pin into one 8-pin.

8. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Yeah I don't quite understand why you are using that splitter. Shouldn't be any need to.

I do wonder if there is a conflict with drivers somewhere though.

9. symphonyX

symphonyX Guest

GPU:
    Yeah I know, I was not using that splitter, I just showed it if was ok since I've done all that I can think of but the problem still persists. Guess I'll go buy a new PSU tomorrow, any recommendations? Also planning on getting another 780Ti maybe in two months time.

I'm eyeing on the NZXT HALE90 v2 1200W or the TT toughpower grand 1200W.

10. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Go for a PSU with one powerful single 12v+ rail.

11. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    Try to use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379506

Credits to WAGNARD AND THE DDU-TEAM.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    sounds like you are tripping one of the 12v rails. is there connectors to put in another 6+2 pcie cable in the psu?

13. symphonyX

symphonyX Guest

GPU:
    Well I'm almost positive that it's the PSU but tried the DDU anyway, still no good. Also forgot to mention that the system shuts down first then reboots after 2 secs.

And I just remembered, last year after cleaning my PC I connected the wrong power cable on the PSU but didn't realized it at first, it was a spare power cable for monitors, thinner than the right one, so after playing for a few minutes it smelled like something was burning coming from the unit. Then I double checked and saw the right power cable on the table, so I switched them and played again, nothing unusual happened after that, no problems until now. Maybe that's the cause of my PSU f-king up.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah could be something with that cable too, also dont use any splitters use original PSU pcie 8pin and 6pin.

Edit: double check those pcie connectors plugged into PSU modular connections, maybe its a bit loose?

And is your cpu 1000% stable? Heaven is mostly a gpu whoe, while all other games are big cpu limiter, but then again 3dmark 2013 Firestrike is gpu whoe too and it shouldnt cause that..

2x 6950 used more power @ 12v+ so I think that psu should be fine, its 80+ Gold after all.

Yes also try that DDU, maybe its some AMD stuff left behind..

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  15. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Wrong. My PSU 1kW is 38 months old (3 years old) without any problems. GTX 480 is same max TDP to GTX 780 Ti. :)

@symphonyX:

Change PSU but still may get reboot. But very likely your new GPU is abnormal and you get RMA.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

16. symphonyX

symphonyX Guest

GPU:
    I bought an NZXT Hale90 1200W, it was a dead unit and the store's last stock, had it exchanged for a Corsair AXi 1200W which was also their last stock, luckily it was working. So everything's fine now.

17. Sybrsean

Sybrsean Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780ti
    My solution

Try this forum... The last post where he describes getting the "disable.exe" from Kingpin. I did this and WALLA first time Firestrike ever worked!!

forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=130502