D3D Overrider's Force Triple Buffering not working

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by crapshoot, Jan 11, 2009.

1. crapshoot

crapshoot New Member

GPU:
    Radeon Hd 4870x2
    Not sure if this belongs in the generic or advanced section but here goes.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, it doesn't appear that forcing triple buffering through d3d Overrider does not work. Now seeing how popular this program is, I must be doing something wrong but I just can't see what.

Here's how I came to this conclusion. I've got 2 systems. One runs a geforce 7900 gtx with Windows XP Home Edition and the other runs a Radeon 4870x2 with Vista 64 Ultimate. Both have Riva Tuner 2.22 and D3D Overrider installed. The refresh rate for both is set to 60hz but the system with the gtx7900 can also do 75hz.

When D3DOverrider is not running and V-sync is off at the driver level, the frame rate in a given game will hit around the 100 fps on both machines. (the 7900gtx is running at lower res with details set to low in order to reach 100fps.)

When v-sync is enabled at the driver level, the frame rate drops to 60 fps. If I change to refresh rate to 75hz on the 7900 gtx system, the fps goes up to 75fps. The same thing happens on the Radeon system if I lower the refresh rate to 24hz, the fps will drop to 24 fps.

Now when I run D3D Overrider with Force triple buffering in Direct3D and Force VSync in Direct3D enabled for the Global profile (also tested custom game profiles), nothing changes. I hear the d3d overrider bell when the game launches but the fps will match whichever refresh rate I set the system to, weather it's 60hz, 75hz or 24hz. Again, this is happening on both machines.

Force VSync in D3D Overrider does work but triple buffering doesn't appear to.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

> I hear the d3d overrider bell when the game launches but the fps will match whichever refresh rate I set the system to, weather it's 60hz, 75hz or 24hz. Again, this is happening on both machines.

I'm afraid you don't understand what is VSync and what is triple buffering. _What_ effect are you expecting to see?

3. crapshoot

crapshoot New Member

GPU:
    Radeon Hd 4870x2
    Perhaps that is the explanation, I'm expecting the wrong thing.

I was under the impression that triple buffering prevented v-sync from limiting your frame rate to your refresh rate. In other words, with v-sync and triple buffering enabled, I was expecting my fps to be above my refresh rate. Is this not the purpose of triple buffering?

4. Unwinder

No. The purpose of triple buffering is to avoid dramatic (2x and below) performance drop when VSync is enabled and framerate is lower than monitor refresh rate. TB is not supposed to increase the framerate above the refresh rate.

5. crapshoot

crapshoot New Member

GPU:
    Radeon Hd 4870x2
    So in other words, as soon as v-sync is enabled, your frame rate will never go above you refresh rate regadless if triple buffering is on or off?

So if I don't see any difference in frame rate when triple buffering is enabled when vsync is on, then there's no point I guess for me to run D3D Overrider.

6. Unwinder

Correct for both statements.

7. crapshoot

crapshoot New Member

GPU:
    Radeon Hd 4870x2
    ok thank you.