Athlon 5350 inbound

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by sykozis, Jul 14, 2014.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Should fit in a 1U case.

It's about 1.5 - 1.75"....lol. It's installed in a Xion SFF case so it's a bit hard to get an exact measurement.

SilentPCReview says the heatsink is 39mm (or 1.5") tall with the fan installed.
    Source: http://www.silentpcreview.com/AMD_Athlon_5350

2. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Sorry, been flat out with project work last few days (bloody users & their ever changing requirements) :puke2:

The APU Frequency is the bus speed.

If I'm adjusting the bus speed I find I have to set things one at a time, reboot, go back and set the next thing, repeat process as needed.

It's painful but seems to work doing it that way

3. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    That sounds about right, BLEH! I can get you an exact measurement this evening if you need it?

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm good up to 105.....above that and problems start. At 110, it fails POST. I'm thinking it's the memory not liking to be overclocked.

5. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Try setting the SATA mode to IDE. Read about some AHCI bug in the APU's but if I follow the process of set one thing, save, re-boot, set next thing, save, re-boot, etc. it all weems to work fine for me

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    That would be appreciated if you could, my friend. Cheers.

7. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    It's hard to get in at the heatsink and measure it, but I managed to get this.

[​IMG]

That's measured from the mobo to the top of the fan and it's 42mm.

Might be too big for your 1U case, but hope that helps.

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Thankyou gentlemen. I'll have to see about swapping the CPU cooler for a rack-compatible one. Cheers.

9. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wish there were some aftermarket HSF available.... I hate using stock coolers, even if the CPU is easily cooled.

11. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Only info I can find on aftermarket coolers is that Noctua has one due out late this year / early next year

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=news_list&news_id=94

And the Gelid slim one for 1U cases I linked earlier. I'm not sure what the TPD rating on the stock one is, but that Gelid is rated for 65w which makes me think that there's either a good possibility of getting a decent overclock happening or there will be another APU on this socket with higher performace &TDP.

12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Might just be able to take the fan off, use the case airflow to cool it, 1U cases have a lot of fans in them.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm not looking for something massive....just something, not stock.... Was hoping AC would do something like their Alpine64 for AM1....

14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    How quiet is the stock cooler?

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not sure, haven't heard it make any noise yet....lol

The case vents are pointed away from me when the case is set vertical as I have it because of the case being on my left side and the vents ending up on the left side of the case. So far, I haven't noticed any noise from the fan but the processor only peaks at 42C running F@H Chrome app. Since I can't get a stable OC, it's hard to push it hard enough to actually heat up the processor enough to need the fan to spin faster. I can go into UEFI and force the fan to full speed if you'd like. Will be a couple hours though as I'm at work right now.

16. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    It doesn't seem to be loud at all, but mine sits in the corner of my lounge room and so I probably wouldn't notice much noise coming from it anyway.

I just noticed a new BIOS update was released a few days ago and so I just updated, so far it seems the same except a little less touchy when changing some of the settings.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I saw the bios update posted the other night. Haven't had a chance to update it yet though.

18. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I'd love to see some pics of your new plaything. I'm quite interested in going this (APU) route as well. Got an old AM2+ (PII X4 940, 8GB, HD6870) build used as an HTPC, but a smaller case would be better. The ATX case is just a waste of space.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I have extensive experience with the phone activation. Out of like 20 calls, I've never had to talk to a live person once. The automated system just asks you how many PC's you've used the key on.