Guide: AMD Ryzen 7 Memory And Tweaking Analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this article we'll take the new G.Skill Flare X 3200 MHz memory kit and have a closer look at the effect of memory frequencies on applications and games. Next to that we'll also address tweaking ...

Guide: AMD Ryzen 7 Memory And Tweaking Analysis

2. Sweeeper

Sweeeper Guest

GPU:
    32 gb
    First !!
    Well joke aside.
    Got the same ram for my msi xpower setup with bios 1.3
    The ram are stuck at 2400 mhz.. if i go 3200 mhz windows will blue screen me with memory error. So hope this soon is relevant for me.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah I am releasing the XPower review tomorrow and am also complaining about memory compatibility in that review as well. MSI will release new BIOSes by next week that hopefully addresses this.

4. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    On page 4: "When Microsoft launched Windows Vista 1 GB was just be bare minimum recommended specification. They actually recommend 2 GB with Windows 7 at minimum."

Actually Vista's minimum was 512 MB and W7's was 1 GB.

5. Sunesha

Sunesha Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 960 4gb ssc Evga
    Thanks for the testing. This was definitely a helpful insight which memory to buy.

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Great test hilbert.

Good to see some results at above 1080p also :)

7. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Very good article. There are very often very impressive gains with faster memories. Now we just need those bios updates to come so we get access to even faster memories.

8. HittriX

HittriX Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I'm here with the same memory kit you got with your r7 1800x unboxing kit,
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, and i am also stuck at 2400mhz with my MSI B350 Tomahawk at bios 1.2 for now.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Great review/test. So an overclock shows more improvement than memory bandwidth increases, but memory does make a difference. Would love to see 3600MHz memory working with Ryzen.

Hilbert, do you think you will have time to test the R7 with a Fury X or 480, and compare it to Intel so we can put this new theory that Nvidia is gimping AMD to bed or shine light on it with reputable data.

10. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Awesome review HH. I appreciate the detailed through reviews you do. Main reason I love this site. Thank you! :)

11. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Similar issue for me. I had better success with the cpu at base clock first, then OCing oddly.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    512 was for Vista home basic.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/919183/system-requirements-for-windows-vista

The other editions were more. I only remember because I tried to install it on an older system with 512mb of ram when it came out and it wouldn't let me, ended up using XP.

I don't know about Win 7.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
  14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Honestly I'd rather wait until VEGA arrives as we'd need a really fast rendering card here to be able to show a proportional enough difference. GPUs like 480 and even Fury X are much more GPU bound in 1080p. Anyway I do not want to rip open this discussion again in a thread with a different topic. I'll think about it, but right now I am drowning in time with too many reviews in the queue to be able to that.

15. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Great article as usual. I'd be interested in your take on what kind of voltage you'd use on a daily basis.

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Overclocked CPU? Depends on your setting and preference.

Ryzen needs roughly 1.45 Volts at stress on all cores in the 4.0~4.1 Ghz domain. Now you can fix that voltage at 1.45 which adds roughly 50 Watts under stress on all cores or ~ +15 Watts in idle.

If you go a little deeper into fine-tuning you could OC based on offset. Say for each automated clock step upwards an offset of +100mv would do the trick. At that stage your overall power consumption would go down.

17. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    I see, I'm kinda hesitant to go that high 24/7. I'm at 3.925 GHz with a mild +43,75mV offset, I'll just stick with that for now. Thanks ;)

18. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    One possiblity ofc is always downclock cpu's. Get Ryzen And I7-6900K to run at 2GHz each and see how nvidia / AMD behaves on that comparision. Should make AMD cards cpu bound at 1080 a lot more that way aswell.

In all honesty, people have been too eager to blame nvidia for gimping that it almost sound like they would do it on purpose. New arch need time to get working optimally. I would only worry if this claimed performance gap would exists after few months, but it's still way too early.

19. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Thanks

Thanks for this review. Personally the cost is a non issue. If the memory is fast and stable so what is an extra 50-70 bucks on a new build. Its on par with needing 4 sticks of RAM for the x99 just in this case you need two sticks of high bandwidth memory to get the most out of Ryzen.

btw minor typo on page 8:
    "bandwidth numbers will chance bigtime:"

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  20. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Thanks, nice review but you forget to use the lastest BIOS
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming/#BIOS

Last Stable is 1.60
    --changes:
    1.Improve XMP DRAM compatibility.
    2.Add Simultaneous Multi-Threading(SMT) item in BIOS setup.

And Lastest Beta 1.93D
    --changes:
    Improve XMP DRAM compatibility.

Good day for all