Skylake 6700k + DDR3 RAM + XMP Voltage @ 1.65 V - How long until it dies?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by chinobino, Nov 12, 2015.

?

Skylake 6700k + DDR3 RAM + XMP Voltage @ 1.65 V - How long until it dies?

Poll closed Feb 10, 2016.
  1. Less than 6 months (Anytime before 13th April 2016)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 7 months to 18 months (13th April 2016 to 12th April 2017)

20.0%
  3. 18 months to 3 years (13th April 2017 to 12th Oct 2018)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. After 3 years (After 13th Oct 2018 or end of Intel "Performance Protection Plan" Warranty)

26.7%
  5. Never (or until my next upgrade)

53.3%
  1. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    When looking at the dates set in the poll please note that the system has been running since the 12th October (4 weeks already) with the RAM @ 1.65 V, with regular gaming use, some video encoding and some benching.

A fun experiment!

For my new build I decided to try my luck with Skylake and my existing Corsair DDR3-2666 RAM that runs at 1.65 V when using the XMP Profile.

I selected the Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 motherboard for its features and also because the Corsair RAM is on the QVL.

I intend to keep this system for at least the next 3 years so if you select the fourth option in the poll I can hopefully still report in on this thread and keep it updated.

As of BIOS F5a the motherboard detects the RAM correctly and runs stable at XMP timings as shown in the screen shot;

[​IMG]

I am getting decent bandwidth with this combination, here is a screenshot of my Ivybridge system running the same RAM with one minor difference (1T command rate);

[​IMG]

The Ivygridge system has been running with 1.65 V on the memory since I bought it in June 2012, so it's been running for 3 years and 4 months at that voltage without issue.

The question is - can Skylake do the same? Place your bets!

If you also want to guess at a specific date go ahead - if it does die we can see who got the closest.

The CPU is currently overclocked to 4.3 GHz across all 4 cores at stock voltage.

I am using a Corsair H80i GT Cooler on Performance mode and the 6700k has not been de-lidded.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  2. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    50+ views and not a single comment?

Many websites are posting articles saying that running DDR3 RAM at 1.65 V will damage a Skylake processor and that only DDR3L should be used.

I will list the titles of some of these articles below as I can't post links to these sites;

Intel: Usage of DDR3 at default voltages can damage “Skylake”

Intel: Use of regular 1.65V DDR3 can damage Skylake processor

Intel Reminds: Skylake Processors Do Not Officially Support DDR3 RAM, Use Could Damage the IMC – Only DDR3L and DDR4 Supported

Skylake's IMC Supports Only DDR3L

I have purchased Intel's Performance Tuning Protection Plan so I am covered should the processor die.

Any more takers?

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    If you cant post links then you know they're shoddy sites..

Btw There were the same "facts" crusing around for Ivy and Haswell.

I can safely say Haswell is fine with 1.65v, heck I even oc'ed the ram further from 2133 cl9 to 2400 cl10 with higher dram current and it didnt "damage" anything.

Btw try 2400mhz cl10-12-12-31-1t

You will get better read speeds.. I get 35.9gb/s, 37.8gb/s, 36gb/s, 41.5ns (read, write, copy)

4. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Hi TJ, Guru3d has blocked the sites on policy (who wants to advertise the competition?), which is fair enough.

Are the sites reputable? Good question, that is why I started this thread - admittedly my sample size of 1 does not carry much weight (although if the 6700k does not die it may just prove that "strong" chips can handle the voltage long term just fine).

Here is DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31 1T on the Z170;

[​IMG]

and here is the same RAM on the Z77 (10-12-12-32 1T);

[​IMG]

I went one better with DDR3-2500 (10-12-12-31 2T) on the Z170;

[​IMG]

Now I have to run Memtest again... With a 40 minute walltime for 1 pass I guess it's time to do the dishes and go to the shops.

5. swing848

swing848 Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Lightning
    Chinobino,

You are talking about the life of the RAM, not the life of the CPU.

If the RAM is guaranteed for life, do not worry about it. Most good DDR3 can handle 1.65v and some require it.

Do not worry about it, it should last for years unless it is defective or you neglect it and let overheat.

Make sure you have good case cooling and get a can of compressed air [from Wal-Mart or a computer store] and spray on heatsinks, fans, power supply and RAM to keep "dust bunnies" from getting in components and kill them with heat.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You're taking a pretty big gamble there. Why not just buy DDR4 memory and be done with it?
    And are you sure that tuning plan will cover you if it damages the CPU? The terms and conditions clearly state:
    Using unsupported RAM isn't exactly considered tuning.

7. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Nah, it's the CPU being at stake here. **** DDR3 RAM sticks ;)
    Skylake's integrated memory controller (IMC) officially supports only DDR3L with a voltage of 1.35 volts, so any higher may cause problems after a while.

OP, I chose 7-18 months, depending on your overall OC. Does it have any effect on your max stable OC, you think?

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So are Haswell cpus.

But if using xmp then its safe.. Also if a mobo wasn't made with ddr3 in mind and or had a certain limit build-in then it should be fine regardless..

@chinobino

Looking good at 2500mhz.

9. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Can Intel tell if the IMC was given 1.65 V until the point of death?

..and even if they could would they really refuse a single warranty claim from a consumer?

I think it's irrelevant - if you pay the extra $30 US to get the 'Performance Tuning Protection Plan' warranty it covers Intel's cost to replace it (as it likely costs them far less to make one single 6700K CPU).

Everything is running really well, just did another 8 hours video encoding and the hottest core got to 74°C @ 4.3 GHz.

I am really enjoying Skylake combined with my 980Ti.

10. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    miss leading post subject

11. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Update time!

Well the first Milestone has been and gone and the system is still running fine.

I put some of my old G.SKILL DDR3-2400 (PSC IC) RAM in to see what it could do, these are 4 x 2GB sticks with CAS9.

DDR3-2600 (9-12-12-31 2T, 4-DIMM's @ 1.75 V)

[​IMG]

A quick bench with 1.75 VDIMM - no problems.

[​IMG]

I tightened the tertiary timings but still could not catch my Corsair Dominators (2 x 4GB).

12. knowom

knowom Guest

Not at all surprised by the results. The way I see it if DDR3 at 1.9v was possible on a NB on c2d and personally I'd imagine a far more current IMC is just as rugged or more so. If anything the IMC being located closer should improved general stability and reliability compared to being located on a NB like it was back then I imagine just due to the physical wiring involved being closer which helps with those things.

We really need fiber optic based chip processors and interconnects if we are going to ever get around the physical limitations copper and other metals as the speed of light is defiantly quicker.

Judging by this not too worried about pushing 1.5v DDR4 at all for Skylake for a sustained period of time and it's probably fine up to about 1.6v realistically speaking potentially higher for sustained usage w/o little to minor degradation for the life cycle of the system keeping in mind it'll likely be replaced long before it actually fails.

13. Raptorta

Raptorta Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    This is very interesting actually. Keep us posted!

14. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Well the system is still going fine - so I setup a second one...

This time an i3 6320, with some fast CAS9 DDR3-2400 @ 1.65 V.

Fine tuned the tertiary timings and the bandwidth @ 2460 MHz is amazing;

[​IMG]

So with 2 systems running the same motherboard with 1.65 V DDR3 we can really see if 1.65 V is too much for Skylake.

15. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    [​IMG] heres with some ddr4 3000 and a decent oc

16. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Hi scipio, nice oc and bandwidth.

Most Z170 DDR4 motherboards I've seen can do ~30,000 Read/Write/Copy at only 2133 MHz CAS15.

I am only just keeping up with lower clocked DDR4 RAM, sadly.

I plan to hold out until Z270 and 3D Xpoint "Optane" has proven its worth (or failed miserably).

17. kalokking

kalokking Guest

GPU:
    8gb ram
    Hey I've had my z170 mobo and 2x4gb ram with my 15-6500 for nine months now and didn't even realize that it was not meant to be placed together, I was wondering if you could provide an update to your system to help me make a decision whether or not i should replace my ddr3 1.5v ram and z170 ddr3 mobo

18. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Hi kalokking, both systems still going fine (after 13+ months for the 1st system and 9 months for the 2nd system) with DDR3 RAM @ 1.65 V.

19. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Here's another update.

The EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 Power Supply that was brand new on the i3 6320 system failed and had to be replaced under warranty.

I took the faulty PSU to the retailer who tested it and confirmed it had a short.

New PSU has been installed and both systems are up and running.

Hopefully the bad PSU didn't damage anything when it went out.

20. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Been running 2400+ ddr3 at 1.65v on my asus z170 d3 without any issues.*