High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Even tho i enjoy my HD 700s, the R70x looks interesting to me, I don't know why. I could been hit with an upgrade bug, Which I hope I can fight off.

Do you know if they made any balanced cables for the R70X yet? Because I planning on moving to an Jotunheim with it Dac module and all next year. I asking because if they do have balanced cables and there much cheaper then the HD 700's 100+ dollar balance cables, than it be easier on the wallet.

2. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I tried Lunashop and they do have cheap SE version of the replacement cables. I then tried Surf Cables and they aren't cheap either.....the site below has the cheapest ATH-R70x balance cable I could find thus far.
    https://www.hivemindcables.com/coll...s/hydra-for-audio-technica?variant=8502495043

BTW, one thing to note about the R70x, it does have a rather narrow soundstage....

3. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    How do you like your modded TR50 ?

I have listened exclusively to my Omni, ever since I received it....I guess it is officially called the Ori now....anyway...one fun headphone.

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I heard people talking about the build quality of the R70x being poor, how is yours holding up so far.

5. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I'm liking it a lot! Warm'ish yet detailed, nice tight bass.....what's not to like?!:thumbup: Now chilling to 'The Best of The Commitments' as I type this message.

I find nothing bad about it, perhaps some were expecting all metal build quality like the AD1k/AD2k series. The combo of plastic and metal (like the AD700X) seems solid enough, plus the metal heqadband offers a nice clamp force that holds the cups firmly over your ears. BTW, I believe I've found my bedside combo in the V20 and R70x combo, I dunno, they sound really good together (to me anyway).

6. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    Hello everyone, it's my first time posting in this section.

I heard my friend's HD 700 with Modi/Magni. I was so addicted and decided to go into audiophile. I bought Sennheiser HD 700 along with Schiit Valhalla 2 AMP and Bifrost Multibit DAC. >EARGASM<

One thing that I noticed, the treble seems less than what I heard from my friend's.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    That is because your friend's amp is solid state, and your's is an tube amp. Tube amps for the most part are warmer sounding (not as bright) than solid state.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You can try tube rolling, find a brighter tube.
    You might end up with the better solution.
    But choose wisely, read up!

9. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    Ah, good to know! Do you think a solid state is better than tube or the vice versa?

By rolling you mean use different tubes or spin it around? If spin it around, I don't know if that's possible since the tube socket has 1 or 2 holes covered so I won't be able to spin it around.

Sorry for the dumb question. I am still new to this system. :x

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    He means by swapping the tube with another tube that is compatible with the amp to change the sound signature of the amp.

11. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    There are pros and cons to both. It is dependent on what gear you have, and which sound preference you like. I personally prefer solid state sound.

As for tube rolling, that is just trying different tubes.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Hehe.
    As Genclaymore and Mezball said, try different tubes. (I did say that in my op "find a brighter tube")

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  13. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    Where would I find other tubes that is compatibility with Valhalla 2?

Also, I am thinking about to buy Asgard 2 from Schiit which looks like a solid state AMP. I would like to try switching between and see which I like the most. I am not sure if that's good idea or just buy tubes.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  15. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Imo the more experience the better, especially when making a decision about something you could keep for a very long time and something that generates strong feelings when in use.
    I do not recommend making quick decisions just to get them over and done with when it comes to audio as you may feel compelled to keep something that isnt easy to return should it not turn out right.
    If trying it doesnt mean you will feel compelled to keep it (other than for if you like it), go ahead.

I strongly recommend reading audio forums to see what is available and to get links to products worth reading about.
    This is a great place to start.
    http://www.head-fi.org/f/

Be sure to read other forums for a broader view to avoid being confined to favourite groups of products, or in case they arent aware of something else worth a look.
    It is true that some are better matches together than others.
    But its what you like that matters most, others opinions are just that.

For example I have an older friend who is even more into hifi than me but he doesnt like the sound of my system because he prefers the sound of soft dome tweeters. He collects older gear but uses some new stuff.
    My setup uses ribbon tweeters and is extremely detailed but not clinically so.
    My other friends find it nice to listen to but it clearly isnt for everyone (pun intended :p).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  17. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    I find it difficult to decide because to find which I like, I have to hear them myself. Many AMPs are not available for test on shelf.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Same problem most people have with choosing hifi.
    Which is why its advisable to educate yourself as best as poss.
    At some point you will come across information that will compare to something you have heard.
    Once you know the range of what all things sound like and whats available, you have an idea of what might suit you best.

Your choice.

19. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Really depends on you and your budget, as well as your sound signature preference. I had a Schiit Lyr, ran it with stock tubes for a while....then decided to try a couple of other tubes, bought two pairs: a Telefunken and an Amperex pair. There is a difference I must admit....I love listening to female vocals, and on a fave track with the stock tubes, I'd noticed a harshness/graininess in her voice. With the Amperex, that graininess was smoothed out....surprised the heck outta me for sure.

My present setups - Oppo HA-1, Gustard X12/H10 stack, Fostex HP-A4 - are basically solid state, so I guess I tilt more towards the brighter SS sound. The Lyr sounded real good, but I dunno, perhaps warm'ish sound isn't for me. Oddly enough, I have a Tube Amp BL-2 which is a portable unit, but packs so much power, I use it as a desktop amp and though it's a tube amp (similar to Schiit Vali v1) it sounds more like a SS amp in that it doesn't seem to add warmth to the sound.

I've tried tubes and have found that I prefer SS, I guess it's really up to you to find out which you prefer....

20. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    In general, SS is faster and a bit brighter in the treble, usually a nice black back round. Less hassle than tubes. No warm up time ect.

In general, tubes are more romantic or warm, a bit of distortion and holographic sound...not as bright a treble, can usually listen to for hours on end with no fatigue. Depending on what kind of topology the amp is built with, it may have a slight bit of hum...usually only audible when no music is playing.

Each have their pros and cons...for me tubes makes my music far more engaging and i like to change the sound a bit now and then.

I mainly just listen to the blues...which respond to tubes really well.

Hope this helps...just a preference really....as always YMMV....different ears and gears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.