Building a new ITX rig for gaming :) Your thoughts please??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CPC_RedDawn, Jun 30, 2015.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Building this to use in my bedroom on my new TV and for taking to LAN's I have twice a year with clan mates.

Will be using either the wifi or home plug I have for internet.

I simply love the ITX GTX970 looks so sweet for the size, though the R9 Nano recently announced is VERY tempting to wait for :D

Had this planned for a while now just gotta wait for a few weeks as I get two weeks off work and will have more time to get the parts and build it.

Here it is. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

Might step down to 120GB SSD and get a 1TB HDD for games and media storage as 250GB probably wont be enough for games these days. Also may get the same case but get the one with a windowed side panel.

Any thoughts welcome.

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Looks good. I probably wouldn't spend so much on the motherboard though, £110 is a lot. Unless you plan on a lot of overclocking the Evo 212 is a good cooler for the price but not sure if it'll fit in the case (haven't checked).
    I wouldn't put games on an SSD, there's not really much point. Upon testing only a few games have been improved by SSD performance (Skyrim for example) but it just cuts loading screens by a few seconds. Get a fast 7200RPM HDD (as big as you want).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  3. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Looks great! Only thing that I would add would be a second 2,5" or 3,5" HDD simply for storage. And I can see you put some thought into it ;) That PSU is very good and should power the 970 without any problems.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yea I think I'm going to step down to a 120GB SSD instead of the 250GB SSD. That way with the extra cash saved I can easily add in a 1TB HDD.

Thinking of the seagate barracuda 1TB "single platter" drive.

The case has space for 2 drives so should be fine. Just a little worried about cooling for the HDD though as the case only has passive vents on the one side and NO intake fan at all.

Might switch out the rear case fan with something stronger and quieter. Like a Noctua NF-F12 to help decrease noise but increase airflow. Gonna want to get the air out the case as FAST as possible with no intake it might be a bit tricky.

Ah well, only one way to find out. Will be building this in the next few weeks. Was going to go for an i7 4790K but seriously won't need that much horsepower and going for the i5 4690K will save some cash. I might go for an i5 4690 (none K version) but I might try some overclocking :nerd: if temps are ok hehe.

Having the non K version will obviously save cash but I'm too much of a tinkerer to not have the K version :) Will be conservative and only go for 4.2GHz which shouldn't be too hard on that CPU with that cooler.

Thanks guys.

5. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    I honestly think that a 120GB is cutting it close for a Windows drive, especially if you have a lot of programs that you like to install. It doesn't leave much room left over. I don't know about pricing in the UK, but here in the US, the price difference between a 120GB and 250GB SSD is minimal. Definitely not enough of a difference to buy a 1TB drive.

Also I wouldn't worry about not having a fan directly over the mechanical drive. External hard drives function perfectly well and they get almost no airflow at all. There will be airflow through your case that will help cool the HDD, so I would not worry about that.

For the power supply, I think you'd be quite close to the limits (amperage and wattage) of what that power supply can handle. Your system requires roughly 350 watts of power (at stock clocks) and 28-30amps for your GTX970 (your PSU puts out 36 max)

If it were my own build, I'd go for Silverstone's 600w SFX and not have to run the PSU so close to it's max output. Could mean a longer lifespan for the PSU.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015