NVIDIA 8800 Series Info - RivaTuner Works Great

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by imabiggles, May 11, 2007.

1. imabiggles

imabiggles Active Member

GPU:
    BFG8800GTS 640
    OK, after putzing around with RivaTuner for a couple of days, I finally was able to accomplish the following with XP Pro:

* Change Core and Memory Clock automatically between 2D and 3D settings.
    Great for my system as it is a 24/7 system and I can save a bit of energy by running low clock rates 90% of the time. Also saves on heat generation.
    * Use any fan control settings that change automatically with temp of the GPU Core
    When I'm gaming, I really can not hear the fan so I prefer to have it ramp up at a lower thresh hold temp than the stock settings - I think the stock temp was 90something degrees before it went 100%. Most of the info was here: Marc's Fan Speed Guide

Remember that to change the clock speed on the memory, it takes an addition step since you really can not separate the 2D and 3D mem clocks w/o screwing about in the cards firmware.

These were accomplished without running the stat server. I like the server but prefer not having the resources chewed up by it 24/7.

Card now performs as I though it should from the factory. Thanks RiviaTuner!

Now I spent a bit of time pulling loads of info from this forum to be able to do this. I didnt find it that easy, but perhaps Im a dolt. If you are having difficulty setting up an 8800, post your questions here and Ill help ya out (I promise I will not be a 'RTFM' or 'Use the search' *****).

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  2. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    I agree, no other app will ever do same amount good stuff.

Personally I like the core temp setup with profiles saved + launcher, where gpu temp triggers fan control and oc, they work flawlessly, and they will never be part of os/nvidia tools.

With RivaTuner 2.01 (with Vista) I finally can make a big sigh of relief: perfect and auto control of oc/temp/fan.

Once again, you tha man Unwinder. Keep it up, wanna see more the coming 5-year period...so nvidia can catch up :D

EDIT...just as a comparison..what if a "RivaTuner for Vista" was behaving like all nTune for Vista etc(crap)...no man alone could take the heat...I guess nvidia guys walk bent forwards, not wanting to be discovered :D !

Still nvidia releases crap, non working apps...

3. imabiggles

imabiggles Active Member

GPU:
    BFG8800GTS 640
    Hey, off topic but how do you like your TerraTec DMX6fire card? I was looking for another option than the 680i onboard (which is actually pretty good) but hate creative stuff due to bloat in the drivers and issues that always pop up with nvidia chipset and creative.

4. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    so youre underclocking your 8800 on 2d? wouldnt that cause any adverse effects for the card?

5. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    It has the breakoutbox that I like: plug in headphones at front - with volume knob.

had it 3-4 years, it's NOT a gamers card...you need to fiddle and select 3D Sensaura mode for games (Full hardware acc) ...when I used it for pro audio, it was in normal state, 96khz etc..then it MUST be in medium hardware acc, otherwise GAMES stutter.

no, i dont recommend it anymore..in Vista also u LACK all the 3D setting tabs, all u get is a beta driver from them...but works goooood

no...this is too old product.

edit...but I wont buy another 3d card for Vista..hear all suck..I'll keep mine..it's trustworthy, but not a must-have. u understand lol

edit 2: say u got it installed and hear noice with high volume: replace the analog cd-audio cord with a digital one. I heard noice for 2-3 years @ high vol(even it didnt come from cd..but it distorts)

6. imabiggles

imabiggles Active Member

GPU:
    BFG8800GTS 640
    No, underclocking to 300/400 on 2D should have no issues. I think the card actually boots at 200/400 until the drivers load - ramping to 540/810 on 3d.

7. imabiggles

imabiggles Active Member

GPU:
    BFG8800GTS 640

Yeah, I know its not a gamers card, but I do some mixing and production so thats what I would use it for. I saw a couple on ebay that were pretty cheap. Thanks for the advice.

8. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I also been doing this for months on both a 6800GT and now my 8800GTS. No issues at all.

I also use core temp to kick in 2D/3D speeds, I like it better that way.

9. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    For Vista users if we want to underclock and overclock the memory clock, it looks like we have to set the threshold at the "Hardware acceleration" monitor.

Thanks to imabiggles and unwinder for the tips to help me figure this out :)

10. Akagi

Akagi New Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800 GTS 640 MB GDDR3
    What have you got your clock settings at?

Last edited: May 27, 2007

11. imabiggles

imabiggles Active Member

GPU:
    BFG8800GTS 640
    Right now, std 2D is 200/300ish (ish because of the steps in the clock generator, not sure what it sets at)- over clock is 580something and 900. No issues. I have a manual profile on a hot key if I need a 2D boast but really havent needed it. 44C idle, never gets above 62C full load.