HD 6950 2GB Unlocked Overclocking

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MrBox, Apr 20, 2011.

1. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    this in bold and prolly black screens and sound loops, weird corruptions in graphics after a couple of hours etc, you said you wanted to challenge my opinion, when peopple say that a weird vein pops outa my neck and start going into crazy excited uptight uber nerd competition mode, so so solly. hehe

2. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    well so I did the benchmarks, I installed gpu-z, I dont have crysis near me so I run a crysis 2 benchmark, 5x each benchmark with everything max out thats possible in this version, but since its not crysis 1 I did a loop of 15 runs of metro2033 with everything set to its maximum settings. no bsods, no black screens, no sound loops, no weird corruptions in graphics, it was boring as hell but yea, thanks for the advice but I dont really find it necessary to bump any voltage on my card right now as its stable as is. I'm not gonna look for 3dmark 11 pro to run test 4 in a loop. Ive run 3d mark enough times already and nothing was wrong with test 4. From other things, i've run metro2033 bench 15 times and I have it on video but results show 14 runs which I find weird, there's also a small inaccuracy in either gpu-z or afterburner because gpu-z reports my memory to by 1.5mhz or so lower than set in ab.

[​IMG]

3. MrBox

MrBox Guest

LOL. I haven't really had time to be on here, but it's good to see I started an all out war.

The original post is a little off. I didn't know people were up in arms about 1000core ad 1100 mv. I actually have __980___ core stable at 1100.

My 1000Mhz core setting is at 1175mV stable. I did NOT mean to post 1000core @ 1100mV, that's my mistake. I don't even want to try that at 1Ghz because it will most likely crash. 1175mV however is plenty of power on this particular card for 1000Mhz core, tested with kombustor and OCCT. I most likely won't have time to do a 5 hour run of OCCT, but i'm sure some of you are able to do 1GHhz on 1.175v with no problems, right?

Everyone just relaaaaxxxx

4. petrossa

petrossa Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 flashed to 6970
    I noticed the very low temperatures on your card. Is it with stock fan? I get stuck around 66.....

5. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    the temps were ramping down so wasnt max temp petrosa, and showing obvious throttling...ok gd luck I had no idea a card could run albeit throttled at those volts.

last thing to do would be actually play metro for half hour, if no fail its stable, if so well done

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  6. petrossa

petrossa Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 flashed to 6970
    Ah. Ok. Was wondering already if there was some special fan available. My pc isn't even encased and still i get above 60. Not that i worry about that temp but yours showed such spectacular differences. And no matter how you turn it, temperature is the main deciding factor in longevity.

7. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    yep your right, 1000 core may be doable but do you have to factor crazy temps and throttling, il post a screeny of mine running at a true 1000 core at nice temps later and maybe it will show a good comparison.

8. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    1175mv is pretty low I haven't tried it with aftermarket cooling yet I'm testing 1.25 and seems fine ill continue to lower voltage

9. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    I dont understand how you had no idea? its simple no? the card only throttles under windows and stays around 450-500 due to me having a dual screen setup. It doesnt throttle in games.

so now 15 minutes is not enough and I should run 30 runs of benchmark or play for half hour? Dave, please :D

max temp in metro was 62 degrees and crysis bench also around there, but yesterday was quite chilly in my house I remember having temps of around 68 deg. on sunny days and its gonna be more when summer comes so an aftermarket cooler is a must. its a shame though, dont want that shaman bigfoot in my system.

also keep in mind that I have a custom fan profile in Afterburner.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  10. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    not 30 runs play the damn game, the game puts lots of varied load on so might be a good indication, Ive benched a hundred loops of crysis but still not stable in gta4, it happens.. enough now its kinda obvious we dont get on, you dont like what I tell you so figure it out for yourself bud.

11. MrBox

MrBox Guest

In heaven 2.5 I got some artifacting with 1Ghz core @ 1.25v. I think I will stick with my lower voltage @ 950Mhz. It's a sweet spot for performance, and I don't have any need for increasing my mem clocks. I'm going to re-enable crossfire and run them both at 950ish.

12. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    ill give it a go right now and report back some finds later. Thanks for the heads up. I did run a few loops of 3dmark11 and about an hours worth of various gaming and nothing just yet but ill try anything of course :)

13. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    just gave it a go and no artifacting, definitely laggy though haha
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

14. MrBox

MrBox Guest

The artifacting I got was just a couple small pink blurries, but I killed heaven immediately, then shut down and did a cold boot. Set it back to 1Ghz @ 1175 and it ran through OCCT and heaven fine. I'm going to stick with the 950 clocks on both cards for now though. There is no reason to increase the clock with both. 1Ghz is a huge performance gain over the stock 6950 though.

not sure why it was getting artifacts @ 1250 though when at 1175 I am completely stable and never get any. the temps were normal and I had the fan on 90-100% just in case. Since I killed the first 6950 I had I get really scared if I see any artifacts, because once that one started it was terminal.

Stock 6970 settings I got like 750 in heaven at 1680x1050 with normal tessellation

1Ghz / 1375 I got about 1300 at the same settings.

That is almost double the performance for heaven. I've never had a card that yielded such a high performance return. Geforce 8k and 9k didn't seem to have such a large performance increase for me. I did love the 8k geforce though, it was amazing in its time. Rambling over...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  15. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    You guys must be really lucky because I have to run my cards AT LEAST 1.300v to be able to run even 925/1400 and not crash after 10min of gaming. At 1.175v I can run every benchmark in the world for an hr or 2, but only a game actually makes the system crash.

Every system is different, my cards are super stable at 1.300v and never exceed 65c!