Crossfire always BSoD in games & GPU-Z

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by rogerthat1945, Feb 14, 2014.

1. rogerthat1945

rogerthat1945 Guest

GPU:
    iChill GTX 780 HerculeZ X
    Hi,
    So I built a new Haswell i5 rig for my backburner PC (I had two hardly used HD7770 Sapphire cards and an SSD spare [+ spare keyboard & mouse]).
    It runs great and quiet outside games.

Installed
    Windows 7 x64... Fully updated. SSD 50% empty. Games on seperate WD 1Tb drive.
    On
    GA-Z87MX-D3H Motherboard. I updated all chipset software & latest Bios etc.
    Memory
    8Gb (2x4Gb 2133 A-Data XPG RAM) Maybe running at 1333 ?
    SSD
    128Gb Samsung Pro SSD
    Graphics
    2 x HD7770`s and crossfire bridge (Tried Beta Driver; but now on this months proper driver).
    Monitor.
    Single 1080p monitor.

The HD7770 cards worked great (in crossfire) in my i7 Haswell for a few weeks until I could get the GTX 780 I wanted.

But it crashes with a BSoD EVERY DAM STINKING TIME in this Rig. :puke2:

Any Ideas?

EDIT.

So Gigabyte just? brought out a new Bios today? The F6. :3eyes:

I installed that; and ensured all Bios settings were good. But still BSoD in Crossfire games/3D testing/GPU-Z EVERY TIME.

:bang:
    IT also gives conflicting information about my 2133 Ram running at 1333; and runs in terrible 3D in Bios with a twitching mouse. 2D Bios runs ok though to adjust..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. handricks

handricks Member

GPU:
    Radeon xt290 Triple-CF
    hi,

- Have you tried a single card for say a couple of hours .... without BSOD.

- What about if you attempt to change the PCI-e lanes used, if the MoBo has multiple lanes.

What is the error message your getting ...

3. rogerthat1945

rogerthat1945 Guest

GPU:
    Single card it all works perfect.

If I leave both cards in it works perfect if I DISABLE CROSSFIRE in the AMD Driver Software.

The BSoD is IMMEDIATE as soon as I start ANYTHING that uses 3D type graphics while in Crossfire mode. Even GPU-Z. :infinity:

CPU-Z works and does not seem to show the 2nd graphics card.

I swopped the cards around (thought may be a faulty card/power), but they both work great on their own.

The Crossfire Bridge is new.

The PSU is 700W Platinum and ran them both great in crossfire in my i7 Haswell.

The PCI-E lanes are x16 and x8 that I am currently using them in.

Are you saying put the second on in the x4 slot to test?

(assumes Crossfire bridge is long enough).

EDIT :pc1:
    Using the x4 PCI-e slot now has the games working in Crossfire and in GPU-z.

Does that mean the x8 slot is inop or something? The board is in PERFECT condition....

Have Gigabyte knocked out a DUD Board as I have read about lots of people getting BSoD on this board?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  4. handricks

handricks Member

GPU:
    Radeon xt290 Triple-CF
    If 1 card works in the "assumingly faulty PCI-e lane" then it might not be a MoBo problems in terms of physical damage.

What about requesting to RMA the MoBo ?

5. rogerthat1945

rogerthat1945 Guest

GPU:
    I will try running a single card in the x8 lane (I was too tired to do that last night [as this had me up until 2a.m.]). To test. Thank you for reminding me. :)

I also have an open question with Gigabyte eSupport; so am waiting for an answer from them before doing an RMA.

Stripping out a motherboard to take apart my ultra cooler, CPU another gear is a last resort for me. Especially if I have to pay to return it, and if I replace it with the same board I might get the same problem.

Not everyone runs crossfire using this board yet. So, not many people might have discovered the problem yet. I am hoping its fixable by some update. :pc1:

Thank you. I will get the card moved now to test.

EDIT.

Just tested the x8 Slot on its own (alter BIOS to start up using PCI-e Slot 2 first to display).

Works fine. Not sure what that means though..........Tell a lie. Five minutes more of testing and it froze solid in game. Its not the card as I used this in the x16 slot for hours and it works fine. I will reduce game graphics settings on the x8 slot and test again...........................................5-minutes later.........The Game locked up again in the x8 slot after a couple of minutes (NFS Most Wanted)
    Never had that before.

I notice also that the Two graphics cards (both HD7770`s bought from the same place have different GPU Bios numbers and different memory manufacturers). :3eyes: Not sure what to make of it as a possible lead to do with how it might interact with this particular motherboard? Although there were no issues on Z87 Sabertooth with them (so I could have been `barking up the wrong tree` there).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014