Newb question. Would appreciate any help

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by SixXxShooTeR, Nov 21, 2011.

1. SixXxShooTeR

SixXxShooTeR Guest

GPU:
    MSi GTX 580 Lightning 1.5
    I recently got a MSi GTX 580 Lightning 1.5GB version and I cannot figure out how to overclock this thing with Afterburner.

The problem is that I want to overclock the Memory Clock to 4600MHz but the highest Afterburner will let me put the Memory Clock is up to 3150 (That's as far right as the sliding bar will go). Also, Afterburner is saying the default Memory Clock is 2100MHz but I know the cards default Memory Clock is 4200MHz so obviously I don't know how to read this program correctly. I'm guessing that maybe you just double the Memory Clock on Afterburner and that's the true Memory Clock but I just want to make sure.

Secondly, if I want to overclock the Core Voltage to 1.2v how do I do that? This Afterburner doesn't seem to show decimals at all. Right now it's saying the Core Voltage is "+0". So what would it need to be in order for me to reach 1.2v?

FYI I am using Afterburner Driver Version 285.62 if that helps. I know that these questions are probably stupid but I couldn't find anything to help me learn how to use this program. Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to help me.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hi, this may be of some help. :)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3887034&postcount=1

And yes, just double the number you see in Afterburner.

EDIT: Ah sorry just realized you have an MSI card..still, enabling unofficial OC mode may give you more overclocking range and unlock voltage modding.

Can't hurt to try...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. WarHammerEBDA

WarHammerEBDA Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 6950 DirectCUII
    It may pay if you read up on overclocking as well SixShooter. You don't need to start increasing voltages until you are getting closer to an unstable overclock and temperatures are still ok.
    Keep in mind that More Voltage = More Heat

4. SixXxShooTeR

SixXxShooTeR Guest

GPU:
    Okay, thanks for the link & advice. I figured doubling the number in afterburner was correct. What about the Core Voltage though, what is 1.2v? Is that "+12" in afterburner?

5. SixXxShooTeR

SixXxShooTeR Guest

GPU:
    Anyone tell me what 1.2v is on Afterburner. Right now mine is on "0"

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'm not quite sure what you mean....but as mentioned you shouldn't need to adjust the voltage unless your overclock is unstable...is it crashing?

7. SixXxShooTeR

SixXxShooTeR Guest

GPU:
    I'm trying to copy an overclock result from a review of my card, the MSi GTX 580 lightning. In the review they used a 1.2 volt increase from the default settings. My question is, how do I put it on 1.2v? Afterburner has my Core Voltage on "0" right now. What would I need to increase it to in order to match the 1.2v increase in the review?

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    +0 is 0mv added
    so it like this
    open ab untick a few boxes in the monitor settings read voltage being one of them others should be ram vrm temps so you can keep an eye on temps
    ok see what the voltage reads in 3d say for example 1.05v
    you will need +150mv to get 1.20 but you should not even need that much atleast mine made little use of anything over 1.16ish on air

9. SixXxShooTeR

SixXxShooTeR Guest

GPU:
    Do you have a GTX 580 and what are your afterburner settings overclocked to?

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    SixXxShooTeR, may I strongly advise you to be really careful with voltage tweaking as you don't seem to have a clue what you are doing.

You can check the voltage of your card in the monitor, the +200 mV is adding another 0.2 millivolts (offset). So if your GPU is at 1.0 Volts, it ends up at 1.2V

The reason your memory is displayed at 2100 Mhz is because that is its real clock frequency, double data rate memory . So while 2100 MHz is displayed, 4200 would be the effective datarate (double data rate). So if you need your memory at 4600 MHz, then the correct setting would be 2300 MHz.

11. SixXxShooTeR

SixXxShooTeR Guest

GPU:
    Ill be careful. I'm simply copying a review from a well known site, the MSi 580 lightning doesn't seem to have any trouble reaching impressive overclocked judging from the reviews. If anthing I'll probably go a lot less than what the reviews pushed it to. I've overclocked GPUs before but the voltage tweaking is new to me. Afterburner could be a little more intuitive since it seems the new craze is adding voltage tweak capabilities to high end cards. Thanks for your response, it's making more sense to me now.

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Correct, in my review I had it at 1.2V with 950 MHz on the GPU if memory serves me right) and 4600 Mhz on the memory. The card can definitely take it, but with voltage tweaking there are more factors to consider, good cooling inside the chassis etc.

Anyway, g'luck let us know how it worked out for you.

13. SixXxShooTeR

SixXxShooTeR Guest

GPU:
    Oh, that was your review! Maybe it was this site I saw that overclock on. I don't think I have an issue with heat, my 800D case seems to stay cool with my water cooling setup. Thanks for taking the time to respond! I'll go slow and look at my temps the entire time.