Buying HD tv for PC how do i set it up??

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by masterchiefx2, Jan 18, 2008.

1. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    Thinking of buying this to use as a monitor for my PC

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131916

A- will it run HD on my PC properly?

B-will games like crysis look better in HD??

C- will performance on games decrease in HD

D- How do you enable HD for a PC on a HD TV?

Lol sorry for questions but im new to HD

2. Helpful

Helpful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    That 36in. TV has a native "Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels". This will give you really large letters on screen. The picture will be grainy when sitting monitor close i.e.30 inches or so.
    Try this self test : Put your index finger about 6 inches in front of your nose. Move your finger away from your nose, straight ahead, until you can see it clearly. If you can't reach that far, use a small square of newspaper. That is the point of convergence where your eyes work together. This is also the closest your monitor should be. You might want to make a note of this distance for future reference.
    Next, for good ergonomics, you'll want to place the screen so that the top edge is even with your eyes. We were created to look down while reading, so if you're constantly looking up to read or play, your neck may rebel.
    36 inches is a lot of real estate for your eyes to cover at close range. Doing frequent left to right would be tiresome too.
    This TV is actually designed to be viewed from 8 ~ 10ft.
    A. yes
    B. yes & no. Yes, because of the lower resolution of this monitor, 1366 x 768 pixels , your video card will have an easier time rendering it so you might be able to bump up the graphics to the next higher setting. No, if you're viewing it from arms' length as it will be a grainy picture.
    C. No - See Yes above
    D. This is usually automatic when the two are plugged in to each other and energized.

If a good, large monitor is what you desire/ need, then 24 - 27 inch is a good size that should not cripple your graphics card.
    If a good TV is what you're after, try to actually see, in person, at a store before you lock to a decision.
    True High Def is really 1920x1080. Though from a distance (say 9ft.) you may not notice the difference between 768 and 1080. I do because I'm farsighted and really fussy. Hope this helps you make a more educated decision as there is alot of ignorance and deception out there

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  3. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    thanks for advice very helpful after what youve said i will be sitiing about 3 foot away from it so a- my eyes will get screwed up and b- pic quality as you say may be bad

so i may just opt for decent 24" monitor cheers

4. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    HDTVs are actually less/equal resolution to regular PC monitors. 1280x1024 has been the standard for a while for PC screens, which is actually higher resolution than 720p (1280x720) which is what would be displayed on that HDTV. And a 24" is higher resolution than a 1080p HDTV:
    1920x1200 vs 1920x1080. Also, the dot pitch on a 24" monitor is much better than a 1080p tv because its smaller.

I love my 24", and I would definitely recommend getting a 24" for your PC.

5. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    There might be a difference between you computer's 1920x1080 which is 1080i and your TV screen that is 1080p There is a major difference between the two.

But the best way to choose is to test both and see which looks the best.

If you have a laptop, run around your best buy/future shop/circuit city with it and ask to test what it looks like and what matters is what you see at the same setup

6. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Personlly, I use a 40" Samsung LCD (LN-T4065F) for PC gaming at 1920x1080 at it looks great. Before I was using a 21" Samsung at 1680x1050 and I can't imagine going back. I play at a distance of about 3-4ft. and have no problems with my eyes/neck getting tired.

Before that I used a Dell 30"...old model that ran at 1376x768, but playing at that res. at 30" was better than playing at a higher res. on a smaller screen in my opinion. That's something to think about.

Most current games run very smooth at full res., except Crysis of course, on my rig. I even use it to browse now as well. The only problem so far is that Crysis runs like crap at this res., but I can bump it down to 1280x1024 if I need to. This particular HDTV is optimized for PC resolutions of 1280x1024 and 1920x1080 and both look great...super crisp text and graphics.

Anyways, just thought I'd share that it is possible to enjoy PC gaming on a large HDTV monitor, mostly due to a larger size; I just think it looks better than staring at a small screen even if you are gaming at a lower res.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  7. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    ill be playing at 1366x 768 on the HD tv at 1080i will that res look crap in HD as all i can afford is a HD TV doing that res not a 1080p???

plus id rather have lower res on TV as i would get much smother framerates

8. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    1080i is pretty much equal to 720p in term of what you see on your screen IMHO

9. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    If you hookup a PC to your HD TV, always use the native resolution of your screen (so you have 1:1 pixel mapping)

Dont be a fool and use 1080i which is just an interlaced image that needs to be streched down to 768 pixels in height on your HD Ready TV.

You will be forced to use a VGA cable though.
    DVI > HDMI only supports certain resolutions (480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 1440p, etc.) but there's no "768p".

I've got a friend who is using 720p from his PC on his HD Ready TV. Even though there is some small upscaling, the IQ is flawless.
    If he tried feeding 1376x768 to his telly though HDMI, the image was converted into 1080i (on the pc) which wasnt as pretty to see (it was converted again on telly too to fit the 768 pixels in height) ...

10. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    That's true as well...the part about getting a slight boost in fps that is. Also, it won't look like crap as long as you don't run the TV in 1080i mode. Simply hook it up and set the res. in the windows control panel to 1366x768 and you'll be fine. There will be some PC mode or PC source setting for your TV. You should be able to get 60hz at least, but it looks like your monitor may run at 120hz.

To address your concern, the only way you'll be running in 1080i is if you manually set up your graphics card to detect the TV as an HDTV and display in 1080i mode. Something like this would be selectable from the options menu in CCC. Like I said, just set the monitor to run at 1366x768 from CCC or in windows settings and you'll be fine.

You don't need to worry about 720p, 1080i, etc., because you'll be running in a PC mode and it's all just plug and play for the most part. You'll need to hook it up via a VGA connection, set the native PC resolution for your HDTV, and you're good to go. Also, you need to use a DVI > VGA converter on the graphics card end, which most cards come with, and a VGA cable.

Overall, no, that res. will not look like crap IMO. I use to play on a Dell HDTV that was 30" at 1376x768 and it looked great. Again, I preferred it over my LCD monitor due to the fact that it was a much larger screen. While the graphics were sharper on my monitor even at lower resolutions, the size factor on my 30" Dell outweighed this.

Anyhow, I hope that made some sense and just some things to think about. One last thing to think about is in the end is the actual quality of the HDTV. If it's not so good, you might want to actually pick up a 24" LCD monitor. It's going to be fair, above average, etc., then I'd definitely go for the bigger size.

I guess too all of this can be a little confusing so if you have any more questions please feel free to ask and I answer to the best of my abilities.

Cheers,
    WIll

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008

11. squirrel007

squirrel007 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4080
    My HDTV/monitor is a 32" and the res is 1366x768. I am also running crossfired 2900's and at 1366x768 I just have to bump up the AA to 4x or higher. At such a low resolution there is not much fps loss. I use it as my only monitor and the picture is crystal clear. I sit about three feet from the monitor and I can sit back in my chair and still read the text on the screen. Just remember that ATI doesn't have a 1366 res in their drivers; it's 1360x768. My monitor doesn't like that res but if you go into the .inf file before you install the drivers and change the 13,60,07,68 to 13,66,07,68 then you are good to go. I tried adding custom resolutions with Powerstrip but, it doesn't seem to like crossfire setups to much.