Lower than 25% fan speed

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by homefry, Apr 10, 2011.

1. homefry

homefry Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    Is there a way to make afterburner set the fan speed lower than 25%?

With my 6950, the auto fan spins the fan down to 23%. I don't want fan on auto. Any way to edit some files to make lower fan speed possible?

2. MaxMax

MaxMax New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950
    +1 i would be interested in such a feature, too.
    thx

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    yeah. just go to profiles folder in afterburner directory and open up VEN_10DE&DEV_06CD&SUBSYS_079F10DE&REV_A3&BUS_1&DEV_0&FN_0 .
    Change the line FanSpeed=X to desired. Mine is 100 btw. If you dont like auto fan just turn it off.. :3eyes:

4. homefry

homefry Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    that's not working.

btw, i know you can create a custom fan profile to make the fan go below 25% (which is how I know afterburner can control the fan to be below 25%). but when i watch youtube videos, the clocks increase to low power 3d and will ramp temps up even though I know they are not getting dangerous, so I want to keep it constant below 25%. and some games go to low power 2d while in the menu and i don't want the fan constantly buzzing up and down while gaming.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

5. MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770
    I would also like the have lower values for my Power Color Radeon HD 5770 PCS+. Please add this. You can disable it by default and let us set a special option in the config file to use it.

6. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    No, the minimum or maximum fan speed is controlled in the BIOS. Although Afterburner can allow you tweak below or higher than the BIOS settings, but it doesn't work as you expect. The only way is get revised BIOS.

7. Mooo

Mooo Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II
    No.. What he means is that the lower limit for manual setting is higher than the lower limit for auto setting.
    I have the same. If I use auto, the minimum speed is 13%, if I use auto with user-defined curve, the minimum speed is 10%. But if I use manual (the slider), the minimum speed is 25%.
    And before you say "It's saying less than 25% but will actually be using 25%" or similar, no it isn't. I can hear hear the fan speed change, and the graphs in afterburner register the speed change too.
    So, please allow the full range of fan speeds to be set with the slider.

8. homefry

homefry Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    Or better yet, allow custom fan profiles to accompany overclock profiles instead of having 1 universal fan profile.

9. MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770
    I can set lower values by editing the fan curve. If you need a permanent lower value use OpenHardwareMonitor to set the fan to a lower value.