[Confused] NVCP, Control Panel, GeForce Experience?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by wilflare, Jun 24, 2015.

1. wilflare

wilflare Member

Finally decided to get back to PC Gaming with my first nVidia GPU - the 970GTX

However, I'm totally lost and overwhelmed by all the new stuff.

GeForce Experience - after using it for a while, I decided it was not useful (and causing some bootlag for me) and uninstalled it. Will that cause any issue? It's not really anything helpful right? I would prefer to made my own game settings than to leave it to its optimization (or is that bad?)

NVCP - this feels somewhat familiar and manageable, are there anything I should definitely enable for now? I was told to turn on
    under Global Settings,
    (1) MFAA under Global Settings
    (2) DSR Factors 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Inspector - this is the one that gets me really overwhelmed and I have no idea what I should enable, etc... I've been trying to play the following games
    DmC - I can't find a toggle for AO under NVCP?

I'm gaming primarily on a 24inch 16:10 screen so it's 1920:1200
    using i5 4570 with 8GB RAM
    I've been messing with GeDoSaTo but I'm inclined to think that I'm better off disabling it and just keep to my options above.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If you don't plan to use Shadowplay, Twitch streaming, or NV Shield streaming then you can keep GeForce Experience off. I also don't have it installed, a lot of us here don't use it as well.

Honestly, what you should set NVCP, Inspector, and GeDoSaTo really depends on what you want to do. If you have no particular goal in mind, then default is fine.

As for AO in DmC, I assume you are talking about DmC-Devil May Cry?
    That game does not have official NV AO support.
    You might be able to force support by following this guide...
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=387114
    It looks like the guide does have a flag for DmC, so if you follow you will have AO.

3. wilflare

wilflare Member

thanks for the reply!
    yes I don't think I have use for Shadowplay and Twitch Streaming (OBS + Steam's internal features help with that)
    Shield Streaming yes... but I guess I'll rather do without it and wait out for Steam Link...

do people still use GeDoSaTo? or is everyone generally with Inspector? (is there an option to go HUDless with Inspector?)

What about AA for DmC - I followed the steps in the AA thread but I don't see any discernible difference... does Inspector automatically filter out AA options that do not work with my card or is that up to my own discretion?

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    GeDoSaTo is a different beast then the likes of Inspector, it can do more then downsampling. It's a code injector, where as Inspector just modifies existing NVidia game profiles. For downsampling I would just use DSR, which you already have enabled. It really just comes down to personal preference.

And no, Inspector will not hide options you can't/shouldn't use. Typically, you are going to want to stick with 2x, 4x, and 8x Multisampling- if you want SGSSAA you need to select the matching (4x MSAA = 4x SGSSAA) Sparse Grid Supersampling from the Transparency Supersampling drop down.

5. wilflare

wilflare Member

thanks! didn't realise you've already replied me here.

so to confirm
    if I choose SSAA for my AA Mode, under AA Transparency - it needs to be SSAA as well..

what about those Hybrid Sampling options?
    like SSAA + MSAA - what do I choose for Transparency?

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    SSAA is fullscreen AA, transparency AA is not necessary.

Ideally, you wouldn't combine transparency AA with any form of SSAA, MSAA combined or not. But if you are feeling adventurous you should be able to choose any level of regular transparency supersampling (or like I said, use SGSSAA = to your MSAA level).

7. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    This guide may help you understand the new Control Panel a bit better .http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html

8. wilflare

wilflare Member

thank you!
    I'm currently running 8xS 1x2 SSAA + 4xMSAA
    - so I won't need any AA for transparency right? (unless I want to match my MSAA level, so that would be 4x SSAA for transparency)?

Is there a difference between 2x1 SSAA or 1x2 SSAA?

thanks ESlik! I found this a few moments prior to checking this thread - it is very useful! explained the options very clearly

---
    just one last thing, if I were to do a clean install of my PC, what's the best way to save/backup all these settings? or is it recommended to just manually set them up each time