Looking for a new pair of 2.1 speakers

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by deltatux, May 9, 2013.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Hey guys,

Wanted to know if there's any good pair of speakers. My local computer store recommended this but it's a bit pricey for me: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_535&item_id=049220

Does anyone have any suggestions which is not as pricey but still very good. I'm trying to find new speakers that aren't tinny and have good sound and bass reproduction. My target budget is $50-80.

I'm going to be in the area of the local Canada Computers store on Friday so it's preferred to get it from there, but I wouldn't mind getting any other suggestions from other Canadian stores.

Cheers,
    deltatux

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    At that store for 2.1 setup, best one to get imo:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_535&item_id=029785

Klipsch Pro Media :)
    edit: Or this for price range :)

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_535&item_id=049535

regards
    ,RagDoll.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
  4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280

5. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Ok, Look at the specs for the Genius one I recommended, goes down to 35 hz and has a better frequency range :) If you're looking at this class of speaker, for that price, that genius one would sound better, however I'm not 100 percent sure because in this pricepoint you really aren't going to hear that great sound imo...

regards,
    RagDoll.

6. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Also, shop on ebay at one of the power sellers, you can find gold there imo ;)

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The issue is that I'm reading from user feedback that the Genius ones have a lot of failure problems.

I'm just looking at decent speaker systems, I'm not an audiophile so I don't believe I'll be spending so much. Worse case scenario if they're all crap I might have to cap my price at that Harmon Kordon set as my absolute maximum. Any good suggestions in that price range or is that Harmon Kordon set the best?

deltatux

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You'd be better off getting a set of powered bookshelfs for that sort of money. AV40's or Solo 1c's or the like.

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm not sure what these "powered bookshelfs" you're talking about...

Right now, I'm kind of leaning towards the Harmon Kordon Soundsticks II for $130 since the cheaper Edifier hasn't been recommended here. Any other recommendations for the same price of the Soundsticks?

I found these too, are they any good, which one would be better, the Harmon Kordons or these?: http://www1.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_535&item_id=034972

Cheers,
    deltatux

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    CC's prices are balls and they rarely price match, they always have some excuse of why aliens are preventing them from having the same prices as every other store in the country. Buy from NCIX, Walmart, a gas station, a hobo on the street, just not from CC.

Just took a peek to see what's on sale, Edifier make nice stuff - http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=27404&vpn=S330D&manufacture=EDIFIER&promoid=1202

Edit: Lolol, Amazon wins - http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002BA5JLW/...5381&creativeASIN=B002BA5JLW&tag=shopbotca-20

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I've never had issues with CC, I've bought from them most of my life, I pretty much know the staff at my local store, been going there for over a decade lol.

As for the Edifier, I'll look into that, thanks for your vote. If I do end up getting it, I'll likely order it off Amazon.

Thanks,
    deltatux

12. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I got Microlab Solo 6c new for $110 aud a year and a half ago, i think they are great value active speakers for that price point. Remote was crappy though.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    A "powered" (Or active) bookshelf is something along the lines of the M Audio AV40 or Solo6c (Also see solo1) mentioned by Killer. They're more or less a standard bookshelf speaker with a built in amplifier. There's a few starting to spring up on the market for fairly entry level prices that are better than the standard "2.1" PC Speaker setups most use. Although the one linked in paticular is outside of your budget by a little, there should be other options in the price range which are superior to the sort of thing you're looking at. Edifier 1600t/1900 if you can find them are a good example.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah this Edifier S330D would be the best choice :)

Edit: although they seem to be average
    http://www.digitalversus.com/pc-speakers/edifier-s330d-p6172/test.html

15. zais

zais Guest

GPU:
    if u can try logitech x 540 and audition it vs your 2.1, its so far the most optimized for pc audio (3.5) i think or the g51

ps : x 540 got seperate sub jack and rear that can be used as matrix mode (2 stereo) & nice earth sub

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I don't need the absolute best, I need the best bang for the buck and not a weak bass. That's all I'm looking for.

Seems like many are pointing me to this one yet the reviews say the bass is weak ... I'm at a loss...

deltatux

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ok, I caved and went with the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 lol. I was at Canada Computers and was just blown away by the sound quality (they were playing it on an onboard and that was able to blow me away, my sound card makes it sound even cleaner).

It was on sale too for $150.

Thanks anyways guys.

Cheers,
    deltatux

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Edifier makes reasonble PC speakers. I have heard quite a few of their more budget systems and they all seemed to be good for the price.
    Try and make sure you get s system that has two ways satelite speakers -meaning two speakers in the sats and try and get an all wood system.
    The Edifier S330D Multimedia 2.1 is pretty good IIRC....I mean for the price point you can only expect so much but I am sure you would be happy with them. I don't remember that set having weak bass.

You can always wait and save more money...

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm a little late but I have to say Logitech are never a good choice for the price, there's always something significantly better for a lower price. The G51 as you can guess is a 5.1 system, and it was absolutely terrible for the price, the MSRP was $200.

I got a G51 system years ago for $80 during one of Dell's 1 day sales and it was barely worth it. Even with a Sound Blaster ZxR pumping lossless (FLAC) audio to it, it sounds like ass for a set that had a $200 MSRP. The bass is extremely muddy and the sound clarity in general across all ranges leaves much to be desired. I've always found most of Logitech's equipment to be extremely subpar for the price.

If you're wondering why I don't upgrade my speakers if they're so bad, it's because I rarely get a chance to use speakers. That's why I bought a nice pair of headphones.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  20. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    I have a pair of A&E Aego 2.1's for sale. Haven't put them up on ebay yet.
    Great speakers and a crisp 120w base. Just got me some 5.1's. :)