Love my X79 with R9 290 Crossfire...Upgrade to X99 though?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by nexxusty, Sep 16, 2014.

1. nexxusty

nexxusty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Was thinking about going X99. Selling off my 4770k and my X79 builds to fund it.

I almost NEVER use my z87 build. It's a shame, but it's not even close to being up to par with my X79 build. Anyway, that's obvious.

Thinking X99 will be king for as long as X79 was. X79 is still undeniably 2nd best so maybe I should just wait. It's not like my system is slow.

Does anyone know off the top of their head if X99/59XX has more than 40 PCI-E lanes?

Just curious.

I dunno boys... any thoughts? I will mostly be playing Elder Scrolls Online and GTA V.

I'm pretty sure I can play ESO perfectly at max(I don't jive with anything but max settings and 60fps) any thoughts on that as well? I'll update my Sig so people know what I have heh.

2. Cry

Cry Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080TI SeaHawk
    I think it would be a waste, you would see no advantage unless you was using a 5960x and ALL its cores, which no game will.

edit: x99 still has 40 lanes no more.

3. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    As said upper, If you go for the 5960x 8 cores, in benchmark, softwares who can use all the cores... yes.. Im not sure in current game state it will be much faster of a 4930K-4960X.

On the other side, if it is for buy the 6cores version ( 5930K ), forget it. Performance difference ( outside some specific benchmark maybe ) is too low vs a 6 cores Ivybridge-E . ( well you can win some fps here and there at 1080p, but not much ).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  4. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    I will wait for next generation consider DDR4 is too new, the memory controller or even the ram itself still need time to mature

5. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

unless u want the 8 core 5960X, then no i dont think there is any point. i might jump to 8 core next year

6. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    I would wait for ddr4 to mature and come down in price, for me I will upgrade at the end of next year, maybe change my cards for gtx980ti if that happens and maybe faster ram that will satisfy my need for new tech :)