Windows 8 vs Windows 7.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by BedantP, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Install Windows 7 or Windows 8

Poll closed Sep 13, 2014.
  1. Windows 7

36.6%
  2. Windows 8

63.4%
  1. charrocrow

charrocrow Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760 OC 4GB
    8.1 is better than 7?¿ games?

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I installed W8.1 two days ago, i have to say i'm surprised. It's fast and responsive, Planetside 2 runs much better, maybe becouse W7 even if unpark cores still have some problems utilizing CPU so BF4 isnt the only game.

3. xirock97x

xirock97x Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660
    windows 8... but i have heard rumors of windows 9 coming out in a few years

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Another windows 8.1 problem: bluray clips/demos (.m2ts) have audio dropouts that I have not been able to resolve. Works perfectly well in 7 with same MPC-HC version, same settings, filters, etc.... just not 8.

Its just unthinkable for me to work with 8.1 as a sole OS. Dual booting with 7 is virtually mandatory for me.

5. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    It's at least equal and in some cases, yes, better. I know that it definitely works better for the AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver processors. Windows 7 has problems with fully utilizing the secondary cores in the processor modules.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  6. Pendula

Pendula Guest

GPU:
    8 GB
    I think windows 8 is just bull... win 7 is the right thing.

7. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    Very happy with win8 I've had next to no issues feels very fluid and fast for me. I also find using win7 its a lot more clunky and slower

8. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I've personally installed Windows 8 in 6 PC's and none have any issues at all after proper configuration.

The vast majority of issues with Windows 8 I've seen users report are related to drivers. Search the web for the latest drivers, use freeware driver search applications. There are cases were an older driver is better, so if you're having a particular issue, trying an older driver can fix it.

Windows 8.1 is rock solid. Say whatever you want about Metro/Modern UI, but underneath it all, Windows 8.1 is without a doubt better than Windows 7.

9. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Win8 has some under the hood improvements but the UI is terrible.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    For you maybe....

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Except audio latency/dropouts. Not sure how they managed to mess that up.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Voted 7 because 8 doesn't interest me.

13. BedantP

BedantP Guest

GPU:
    1660Ti
    Agreed. Windows 8 is suitable for tablets, but for PCs, it's crap.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Depends on the exact operations that the PC is used for. We just got a brand new laptop running Windows8.1 at work and the guys are loving it. Haven't heard a single complaint from them about it other than the fact we only got 1 and really needed 2. Of course, that laptop is setup specifically for how they use it. Something that wasn't really possible with Win7...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  15. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    [​IMG]

2008 r2 is the best system for games

16. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Can we please get off the Metro pitchfork circlejerk. The Metro is not limiting work performance in ANY way. You can debate this all you want with your "this takes two clicks bla bla". And even if it was the doom-bringing slayer of all productivity you claim, the performance benefits of any previous OS are definitely worth it.

You people continue to shame an entire OPERATING SYSTEM for a single feature, that can easily be removed (or are you not a power user capable of such a simple task?). Are you going to complete that the start menu isn't there by default, because there are plenty of programs that work with 0 latency, ie. classic shell.

:banana:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  17. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ditto ...

18. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    All this plus more. Win 8 works GREAT on a PC. You just have to set a UI that you like.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Still rocking Win 7 ulitimate, I might pick win 8.1 when and if my startmenu is returned (no i not using third party software to fix this) or If i find on sale, I will probably wait to Win9 in hopes of metro being disable and start menu return though.

So people might like metro and lack of build in startmenu some might even not care and just deal with it, I dont like metro at all and i use the start menu daily ALOT. that is enough for me to not want win8 seeing i dont like MS as it is it just lack choices if your a gamer. to i choose to say win7 it simple as that

Considering chances of DX12 be back ported to win7 probably wont happen know MS

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Not sure why someone would be so strongly against using a technically superior OS because you refuse to make the interface suit yourself.
    Outside of Windows, this is done all the time, if you are using the default interface for a Linux distro then you are seriously missing out.

No reason to limit yourself on Windows, take it and make it yours. Put the personal back in PC. I'm not saying you recommend it to other simpler users, but I should think everyone here has some interest in that sort of thing personally.