Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury downclocks after crossing 60 degrees C

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Xgatt, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Xgatt

Xgatt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro OC 4G
    Hi everyone, I just recently bought the Fury Nitro, and I'm loving the boost from my old 290. Only challenge I'm having is that the card forcefully downclocks the moment it crosses 60 degrees C in all games (at stock clocks of 1050/500 with +50% power limit). The Fury Nitro is a dual bios card, but both the legacy and UEFI bios come in OC mode AFAIK. Right now, I have the sapphire logo lit up on the card.

Here's what I've determined so far:

1. This seems to have nothing to do with Crimson or Catalyst, as I have made sure both ULPS and Crimson Power efficiency are off (done through RadeonMod, which is more dependable). Catalyst 15.11.1 also exhibits the same behavior.
    2. Overdrive also has the temp target at a much higher 85, so that's not the issue either.
    3. Clockblocker does not work on this, though it worked on my old 290.
    4. I'm also not seeing this happen on my old R9 290 using exactly the same setup, so this seems to be a feature specific to the Fury Nitro.

How can I go about either increasing the throttling threshold or disabling this altogether? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Is there an updated bios available for your card? does the same thing happen at say, 1040mhz, or with 0-20% power limit?
    The reason I ask is because I've had pre oc'd cards before that were not fully stable/throttled at the shipped clocks.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  3. Xgatt

Xgatt Guest

GPU:
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I found out that setting voltage to -24 mV and power limit to -8% allows it to maintain 1050/550 solidly in all games. I wonder if my unit just has poor VRMs or something that can't handle higher power? Does this sound like something you've heard of before?

4. Xgatt

Xgatt Guest

GPU:
    Update: I decided to RMA the card, since none of the others I spoke to had an issue with downclocking at stock clocks and voltages past 60 degrees. Let's see how the second one performs.

5. Xgatt

Xgatt Guest

GPU:
    Update 2: The RMA actually didn't go through because Fedex couldn't scan the shipping label or something. They returned the box to me, and thank god they did. If it had reached Newegg, they would've simply refunded me due to lack of stock, resulting in not having the card at all.

Took the card back and decided to go the other direction. If I undervolt the card, it is able to maintain its clocks rock solid. Just a -12mV undervolt (+50% powerlimit) lets me run the card at 1125/550 with no problems. I decided to lower that further still and run it at -90mV (+50% powerlimit) at just stock 1050/500. Performance is still great, but the card is now quiet, cool, and way more power efficient (120W less total system power at max load).

Issue resolved for now. :)

6. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    lol alls well that ends well! funny how we think of things After the fact! Isnt it strange we here about the new rx480's doing the exact same thing? that is dropping the voltage to fix throttling! Makes ya wonder dont it....AMD has temperamental hardware that needs the perfect touch! Noobs stay away lol! AMD stuff is not a great choice for the less experienced users! They need to work on that...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That shouldn't happen but if it's stable when under volted and is working fine otherwise then it's OK I suppose if you can't RMA it.
    (I run my own GPU with a voltage increase and from going by discussions the components on Fury / Fury X allows for a pretty serious increase though yeah overclock results aren't the greatest and pumping 100+ mv more into the GPU for a total of around ~1.35 or what it was does push the temps up albeit the VRM things are apparently rated for some 150 degrees or such though that doesn't mean you want them that hot. :p )

Lowering the voltage has been tested to OK however so I don't think you'll have any problems though yeah that should not happen at all.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/msi-afterburner-undervolt-radeon-r9-fury,review-33439.html

(Also the power limit slider in the AMD control center software isn't strictly related to voltage, it's something with max draw.)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016