Free Bitdefender for 180 days no restrictions.

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Veteran, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Found this...

Complimentary license keys for BitDefender Internet Security 2014 (x86/x64)
    BITDEFENDER INTERNET SECURITY 2014: Absolutely FULL & FREE for 180 Days without any restriction.

http://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/60-second/index.html
    http://www.bitdefender.com/oneclick/
    http://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/stacksocial/

Complimentary license keys for BitDefender Total Security 2014 (x86/x64)
    BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY 2014: Absolutely FULL & FREE for 90 Days without any restriction
    http://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/facebook-promotion/

After having claimed and obtained your promotional key, please keep in mind that you have 30 days to activate your product with said key.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nice find Veteran.

If you don't already have a license for BitDefender and your license for your current A/V is about to expire or you're using a free A/V, I really recommend giving BitDefender Internet Security a try.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i wouldn't use anything else tbh bitdefender is great and rated as one oof the best in the world.

4. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Ive been using BitDefender for years. Good product.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    After the issues I had with Kaspersky, I switched to BitDefender. Was only half way through my Kaspersky license. Got a 2-year license for BitDefender Antivirus Plus for $6.95 and ended up upgrading to BitDefender Total Security after a couple months. Still prefer Avast, but it's performance impact is too severe. Only thing I've found missing in BitDefender is a sandbox feature. The web filter is among the best I've seen though. BitDefender is also available for Android devices.

A nice present from BitDefender - All Antivirus Products At The Same Price $49.95*
    That's for BitDefender Internet Security, Total Security and Family Pack.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    How would you rate NOD32 vs Bitdefender for some of you, personally?

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    No comparison. I haven't touched NOD32 in years, but BitDefender constantly outperforms NOD32 in antivirus lab testing.

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm a little torn on that. I don't think it's that clear cut.
    BD has a slightly better detection rate, but the interface is clumsy, options are lacking, and customer support is horrible.
    NOD32 is chuck full of very useful options in an organized interface, and customer support is fast. And they seem to use about the same amount of resources.

Reviews I can find pretty much summarize in "BD has the better detection rate, but if you want more control use NOD32". I guess because their detection rates are close enough? And it seems like the main difference is that NOD will ask what to do in certain cases while BD will simply remove the suspected virus outright, giving it the better rate. I will always have an AV ask me what to do everytime in every case. It might compromise you a little more, but 99% of the time what I get are false positives.

IDK. I'm no expert on AVs. I just feel I'm leaning to NOD, unless you want a free AV, BD's free version is great.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've had no issues with BitDefender customer support. I've contacted them twice and had a resolution within 24hrs. Last time I contacted ESET customer support, I never got a response.

I've read reviews making a broad range of claims for every antivirus on the market. As with everything else, including customer service interactions, experiences will vary.

Personally, I've found the majority of settings in antivirus or security software to be rather pointless. Properly designed security software shouldn't give the user options that reduce effectiveness.

Quite honestly, I'm biased towards Avast..... If it wasn't for the excessive resource usage, I'd still be using it instead of BitDefender.

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah Avast is amazing, especially for a free AV. I only stopped using it because of the ads.
    (rant; why would you hound free users to get the Pro version every few hours to protect against Cryptolocker. Doesn't put much trust in your own protection.)

Avast for myself only used 2 processes, which used no noticeable CPU time when not doing a scan, and about 50mb ram, 80mb tops. I understand that BD uses like 30-50mb, but I would hardly say that makes it better or worse.

As for options, it's obviously a personal thing. I would recommend someone BD Free, but I can't stand it's lack of control for example.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I won't recommend BitDefender Free because it gives the user no control what so ever.

Cryptolocker isn't a virus. By the time antivirus software detects it, it's too late to stop it. Cryptolocker needs to be stopped before it's ever executed and preferably before it's ever downloaded. You really need a solution that scans files being downloaded, which most antivirus software doesn't do.

Personally, I recommend Avast Free and Panda Cloud for basic antivirus. For a "suite", I recommend BitDefender.

Over the years, I've run antivirus from nearly every major vendor. I've found that with proper habits, they all provide equal protection. The real difference is in preference. Basically, which UI you prefer. Doesn't hurt to "test drive" products from other vendors every once in a while though. Especially when they offer a 90 or 180 day trial.

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I bet you Avast Pro doesn't popup a message every few hours though. It's annoying. And if what you say is true, then they are false advertising. Avast Pro won't make a difference, so why are they constantly messaging users to upgrade their protection because of it.

BD Free has enough settings for people who obviously would not bother coming to a site like Guru3d. It's not THAT bad. I just prefer more.
    Panda Cloud is IMO way too weak. To my knowledge, it doesn't have anything resembling a heuristics auto file scanner and a web scanner. Pretty much those two things are going to keep the majority of people protected who just use their computer willy-nilly, site to site, install to install, without abandon.

And of course, proper habits and all that are more important. Most of the time I run with no AV, just run a scanner every 2 weeks or so. Most of us here are pretty good at avoiding a virus. I can't remember the last time a virus infected my personal computer. Bloatware yes, lol.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nod 32 is the worst i have ever come across
    I lost my steam account while using it years ago.
    This made mer paranoid about security so instead of listening to others and there advice i did my own experiment. I setup a laptop with lots of malware purposefully installled and ran around 8 different security suite.

The top 3 that found every piece of malware on that laptop were bitdefender, Norton and kaspersky. The rest failed nod32 being one of them. I got my account back from steam support and they confirmed that my account had been compromised. Ive never lost anything since then security wise.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Cyberdyne if you want lots of options grab a personal firewall and av suite of your choice instead of an aio security suite.

15. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    firewall only club here, what an incredible OC Veteran on your gpu, great to see.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Panda Cloud does in fact have a heuristics engine, as well as a web scanner. It uses the exact same scan engines as Panda Internet Security. It's actually quite effective also. For detection and prevention, it's typically "on par" with BitDefender and Kaspersky. It's weak points are in FP's and the fact that if you lose your internet connection, you lose your A/V because the virus definition file is stored remotely.

Avast isn't a typical antivirus. If the proper settings are turned on, it's much more effective at prevention than any other antivirus on the market. The issue with turning those settings on is that Avast becomes overly intrusive.

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Norton out performed and NOD for you? That's crazy. I've had to fix my fathers PC many times after he got a virus while running Norton. I fixed it each time by installing Avast, lol.

Maybe I'll give Panda a try. I mean if I'm offline, the chances of me getting a virus significantly decrees, then there is always scanners. Hmm.

Well anyway thanks for the perspectives.

Are there any free actually good firewalls? Comodo is too paraniod, and Zone Alarm is more like bloatware then a firewall.
    Maybe that's changed though...

EDIT: Sorry if this is going too offtopic, kinda feel like I'm hijacking a thread. But hey, at least this section's actually getting posts.

I decided to try out Privatefirewall and TinyWall. Both free, with no payfor crap, one is about 3mb and the other 1mb.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im using nod security since V4, now v7 and works flawless - detected any threat so far, also really like its FireWall and whole GUI/settings.

I tried various AV security back in 2009-2010 and bitdefender had really crappy FW, the worst from all (stalling), even TrendMicro had better. I tested it again ~ 2011 and still no go. Didnt bother again, nod32 is doing a very fine job.

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I should probably try BD at some point but for now I stick with Avast Internet Security (disable code emulation and things get really fast).

Doesn't hog my ram either.
    [​IMG]

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    In the end I went Goldie's route. And my usual personal route.
    Those two firewall apps are fantastic. Privatefirewall is amazing. No AV for me.