Wireless keyboard and mouse for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TDurden, Jul 8, 2016.

1. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    I am looking for a wireless keyboard and mouse, separate or combo. Reading reviews on Amazon etc. there are some complains about input lag, others say it's fine. I have little experience with wireless keyboards or mouse, are they ready yet for semi-serious gaming? No esports level, but casual gaming, fast FPS games included.

Do you use wireless or wired for gaming? Can you recommend some options?

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I always use wired. I like the slight resistance you get from the cable. Plus I can't be bothered to plug the things in. I'd rather just turn my computer on and everything works without having to worry about the batteries dying halfway through a gaming session.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I would never recommend wireless equipment, unless you really need it.
    Having battery dying halfway, bad signal and delay is worst for gaming.

Its all marketing gimmick

4. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
  6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Non-standard batteries are never good unless it can work in wired mode like the second one you linked. If the battery dies mid gaming then you gotta stop and wait for it to recharge unless you have a spare mouse you can plug in. I'd rather just pop in 2 AAA batteries or whatever wireless mice use.

7. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    ...been playing nothing but first-person shooters with a Bluetooth keyboard (Microsoft Keyboard Elite) that I've been using since I got it in 2004. I prefer trackballs, and am in love with Logitech's latest M570 (since it's got two extra buttons compared to previous offerings, plus it's wireless).

Batteries last for a few months (and there's an indicator when they're getting low so that doesn't catch me off guard, plus they use standard AA batteries, for which I keep a spare set on deck in a charging station). I've never had an issue with interference nor lag (and I have connected wired keyboards alongside it and tested them stroke-for-stroke and cannot see a difference). If I was going to play something competitive and was concerned about battery life, I'd just put a fresh set in before I started.

I don't think this keyboard is available for sale anymore, and trackballs aren't for everyone, but unless you bought some really awful hardware, the wireless option shouldn't be an issue (I'd like to think wireless hardware and protocols have improved over the last 12 years).

8. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    If you are thinking wireless for gaming, just stop thinking.. I've had too many multiplayer games ruined because of some yahoo using a wireless mouse suddenly stop doing anything because the batteries ran out...

9. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    My wife and I both had wireless kb/m and computers are side by side.I would start missing key presses and Couldn't figure out why until I realized it only happened when she was typing. Her keyboard interfered with mine so I went wired. So it does happen.

10. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Yeah well most wireless are bad, but mostly I was talking about that G900, its REALLY good wireless and only wireless mouse I would get if I had to get wireless.

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Easily solved with a usb cable that can stretch the distance, or use a battery pack like I do. Mines could probably last my mouse for a year fully charged.

Seriously, everyone should have a usb battery pack, they're so useful.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm happy with my Logitech G602. I had a wireless logitech keyboard for a few years and it eventually stopped transmitting but it was perfectly fine for gaming. I also use an xbox one wireless controller lol. No issues. I don't play cs go or whatever though.

13. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    For the price you gotta pay to have a decent wireless mouse or kb you can buy a godlike wired one.

It's pointless anyway. If you're gonna sit on a desk to play a game, how would the wireless mouse or kb benefit you?
    It's just an extra hassle to deal with. If you wanted something wireless for media usage (messing with netflix from a distance for example) I could see how it can be useful, but for gaming (specially fast paced fps like you said) then just no.

14. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I also use the G602, and love it.

Pyrage: Uuh... how about not having to worry about a cable getting caught on something when you're trying to move the mouse, say, to aim at someone in a FPS? My past... like... 4 mice have all been wireless Logitech mice, and I've had no issues at all playing shooters. And for the most part, batteries aren't a hassle. Take the G602 for example. 2 AA batteries, and it lasts MONTHS.