Computer turning off/on every 4 seconds, showing artifacts

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SentinelAeon, Dec 5, 2015.

1. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Hello,

I have some problems with my dell optiplex 780 i have been using as htpc. While watching a video on it, it suddenly crashed and restarted.

When i press the computer on button, it will remain on for about 4 seconds, turn off, turn on again, etc. Every once in a while i manage to get it running but it either locks (when using HD 6450 on hdmi) or it simply shows many artifacts (when using integrated graphic card - displayport to hdmi adapter). When it keeps rebooting i get some mixed error codes, as far as i mananged to check them it mostly points to system ram and/or motherboard error. I had problems with integrated graphic card for a while, it was showing white as blue (when booting, letters were blue not white).

Things i tried:
    - unplugging everything except motherboard and psu
    - removing battery, clearing cmos
    - replacing processor, checking all components for overheat
    - checked all capacitors for bulging
    - checked psu test button (it shows green)
    - replaced battery

One thing i noticed is if i turn the computer on without system ram it will not restart. But i dont know if this could point to faulty ram or simply that without system ram other faulty mb components arent being used. If i remove system battery i have more luck in getting the computer to turn off instead of turning on and off.

Sadly i do not have any ddr3 ram to test if ram is faulty ( i would be glad to hear if things i explained could be caused by faulty ram), i do plan to get it asap. After that i will try to bake the motherboard to see if this solves. Before i do that i would be glad if u got any ideas what else to test.

video of Artifacts:
    View My Video

video of on/off:
    View My Video

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    By what you said and the videos it looks like system RAM is bad.

If you open it up does it have one or two sticks of RAM?

And I guess you tried the RAM in different slot?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  3. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    There is only 1 stick, i tried all slots. I will get some spare ram and test it.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That looks like gpu vram is on it way out to me. either and if that is video of the bios and did that, then its bad gpu vram, fault gpu wont shut pc down a fualt psu will

5. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Well i tried it with 2 gpus, with integrated you get this artifacts, with standalone graphic card the computer just locks. But both of them usualy just turn on and off and it takes many tried to get to bios.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    faulty motherboard. if you having troubles getting into the bios regardless of what is used, if using different ram stick dont stop it.

faulty psu will just restart/shutdown the pc, it wont keep you from getting in the bios

7. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    It seems that everyone reads what i wrote a little bit different, i will try again :)

- most of the time when i turn on the computer it will simply keep restarting ( second video)

- sometimes, for instance if i remove bios battery or if i keep trying long enough, it will actualy turn on and stay on. In case it does, it will either lock up after a few seconds (standalone graphic card HD 6450) or show artifacts (integrated graphic card)

- if i remove all system ram, computer will always turn on, but obviously it will show no image on screen

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    like I said change out the ram( go to store get new stick) if it still happening something on the motherboard is probably fault

IMO either the system ram is no good or the motherboard, and only way you gona find that out is get new stick ram test it with out the old ram.

If still happens you have your answer

Dell makes supar pc with refurbish parts even in new pcs so not surprised they failed, i fix enough of them on behalf of dell as one there field tech that were no more then 1-3 months old, to never recommend them to anyone. but that is just opinion on dell.

btw endless boot loop "according" to dell phone support to there own tech well say its PSU have use replace the psu and ram followed by the mobo if still happened.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  9. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    I just tested another stick of ram and sadly that didn't solve it. Buying either new power suply or motherboard is not a good option since for the same money i can get a whole second hand computer just like this one :/

10. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Just for the fun of it i decided to bake this motherboard, but instead of using the oven, i decided to try it out with hair dryer. I figured it has to be south bridge causing the problems. And what do you know, a few minutes and it solved the problem for now :)

11. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    With or without garlic sauce?! :bugeye:

Haha, good job fixing it. I should try this baking method with my old motherboard.

12. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    The motherboard didnt live long. As soon as i tried to install drivers for HD 6450 and it came to the stage of changing to higher resolution, it locked again, beeping, etc. Once i restarted it, it went into on/off stage again. I guess it is about time i start looking for a new motherboard. I might try to bake it again and try without external graphic card, just to see if maybe that is the reason - then i can still run it with internal graphic card.

13. 121

121 Active Member

You should try a second hand PSU before heating the mobo again.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    fualty motherboard like said in my 2nd post, baking isnt gona solve the problem just delay its final death,

15. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    I forgot to reply .... baking northbridge solved the problem, we will see how long it holds but for now it is ok :)