Dual Booting ubuntu/Windows PC. Windows Crashed and wont boot

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by CONRACK, Oct 29, 2014.

1. CONRACK

CONRACK Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT 1GB
    HI guru3D forum, i have a massive problem with my pc i hope you can Help. I have a Dual booting pc with Ubuntu 14 and Windows 7, a few days ago windows got completely stuck on the logo screen without reboot that fixed it, i tried repairing the OS with the instalation disk but it did not find any problem, used both fix bootmgr and standard repair but didn't work, then i reinstalled windows on the same partition but it now got stuck on the "prepairing for windows first use (or something like that)" screen and made me lost the grub but i recovered it later. can someone tell me what the problem is and how to fix it? maybe with my -still working- ubuntu 14 OS partition? i can still access the windows and windows.old folders without any problem from ubuntu. thanks people, i would appreciate your help in suggesting other fixes.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    My laptop does that if I try to dual boot with Ubuntu - windows will load a couple times, then it resets at the boot logo and fails to load again

It will boot like 1/20 attempts, but the only way to fix it is to remove the ubuntu partition - never worked out why, I was talking to a MS trainer from a course I went on a while ago and he seemed to remember it being something to do with the Wifi settings in Ubuntu not releasing something - he suggested disabling WiFi in Ubuntu then trying to boot windows, but I never got around to trying it again

3. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    If grub installs on the Windows partition it usually breaks windows boot.. sometime beyond repair..

I suggest you first install Ubuntu on one partition without GRUB and then install Windows 7.. Boot into windows and install EasyBCD and put GRUB on another partition that is not Windows :)

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    a hdd scan will do no harm,maybe there is something missing here,could be also a hardware failure at the bottom.
    on the software side,as Steppzor very well said,install each OS on their partiton,and use EasyBCD then to add the Ubuntu to the boot menu.

Now,let's imagine the Grub or EasyBCD fails.To boot into Windows or Ubuntu ,you need to make yourself a bootable USB with Plop Boot Manager,very nifty tool,gives you the choice of booting from a desired partition.

Remember tough,that Plop Boot Manager doesn't fix the problem ,it gives a shortcut to the desired partition.

As a golden rule,one install first Windows ,and after the flavour of *Nix one fancies.

5. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    This. I never let Grub overwrite the Windows bootloader. I have Linux on a separate drive and just install grub on that drive and change the boot priority to the Linux drive in the bios. Easy to boot either Windows or Linux without touching the Windows bootloader at all. That way "removing" Linux is just as easy as formatting the drive and changing boot priority.

6. CONRACK

CONRACK Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT 1GB
    reasearching a bit more with your sugestions i find that i can restore the windows LTloader with mi w7 instalation disk, if i do that and windows recovers it's own loader will that be a "fix" and make it load? i ask beecause i don't see how that is related, ubuntu's grub was never a problem before, and if i use easybcd that means that the windows loader is the one who's gonna give me the option to start ubuntu or windows instead of GRUB? also i really can't afford a new hard drive as i live outside the US/EU and everything is 10 times more expensive, will the easyBCD (if works) allow me to have both w7 and ub14.04 on the same HDD without any other compatibility issues?

7. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    You can use grub.. just not install it on the same partition as windows. Install it on another partition and use easyBCD to add windows boot into grub. If you put grub on same partition as windows.. it usually breaks the windows boot.