290 died.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by drlobster, Jul 12, 2015.

1. drlobster

drlobster Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290 x2
    So I went to sleep last night watching a movie. When I woke up and the computer was stuck in boot loop. Removed the 290's and tossed a 7870 in, Worked fine.
    Then I tested each 290 the bottom one ended up being bad. Fiddled with it and got the computer to post and boot into dos. When I ran atiflash -i it showed normal info about my top card, bottom said something like ID: 6000 ACIS: 0LAND. Figured screw it and cleaned in with everclear, Let it sit for a few hours then computer posted normal. Then I ran kombuster and it died.. back into boot looping. So baked it at 350F for 20 minutes then shut the oven off and let it cool to room temp before removing the card. Now it works fine...
    Should I be worried? :bang:

2. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Oh men why you put the card in the oven ! ... with that metod you dry the capacitors. Probabibly will work for a while, but if fail again there is nothing u could do.

3. drlobster

drlobster Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290 x2
    What should I have done? I couldn't rma it, I got it off ebay with a waterblock installed and the reference cooler in a box. lol

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    RIP...in a while.

5. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    With a Heatgun and a IR Thermometer, trying to follow this temperature curve as much as possible, like if you were doing it with a real reflow machine. I repaired a lot of cards with that metod, some work for years other start failing again after a couple of mouths.
    [​IMG]

If the card come with a waterblock, probably the last owner of the card overclock the crap out of it....

6. drlobster

drlobster Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290 x2
    Thanks, I pull it and do that tomorrow morning. Looking back, I shouldn't have drank some of that everclear and toss it in the oven... lol I have a nice heatgun and IR thermometer for forming plexi..

7. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Sorry but if you already put the card in the oven, the BGA is probably damaged. So use the card until it dies, there is nothing u could do

8. drlobster

drlobster Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290 x2
    Damn, Time to pick another one up for $120. Thank you AMD for re badging the r9 200 series, 290's go pretty cheap now.

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I will trade you a 270x for it...Lol....:)

10. drlobster

drlobster Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290 x2
    I picked up 6 7870's at a swap meet for $400 a few years ago. No need.

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Wow...Nice...Bitcoin really helped on used card prices...Good Deal...:)

12. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Yeah since GPGPU mining is non viable ... people starts to get rid of graphics cards.