SSD Failure

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Izzywiggles, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Izzywiggles

Izzywiggles Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB
    Got a weird problem I have never had before. My Boot up screen spat at me, S.M.A.R.T HDD Capable and Status Bad, Back up and Replace. Should have known something is very wrong, because every time I restarted my PC, nothing is remembered, the downloads downloaded before the restart are gone, and the pc has absolutely no recollection of what it just did. I even tried booting with an Ubuntu USB and that spat a bizarre screen at me which pretty much said you are not loading this... I tried formatting the drive with the windows new install and it told me the drive may be failing...New drive me thinks?

2. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.. :p

I'd strongly suggest to backup the drive asap.
    Please post a screenshot with extended S.M.A.R.T. info, if possible. Or run an extended S.M.A.R.T. test provided by any of the major manufacturers, as we don't know what specific SSD you're using.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Did you try to boot Ubuntu live from the USB, or install it to the SSD?

If just booting from the USB, it sounds like something else is wrong, and drives not saving files you downloaded after a reboot is not something I've ever come across before, if the drive was failing that badly, you'd get the error when you tried to read/write to the drive, not missing files after you rebooted

Although stranger things have been known to happen

4. Izzywiggles

Izzywiggles Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB
    SSD is the Corsair Neutron XT. Smart says it needs to be replaced. I the drive can read and write no problem, but as soon as the system restarts, everything is forgotten. Very strange. A friend of mine who is an electronics engineer, suggested I turn of SMART because is its telling my system the drive is failing it unlikely to write any new information on it. I kinda wanna shove my drive into another PC and see what comes up. Ubuntu also told me its failing and after deleting the whole drives partition and going back to windows, it just said no all your information is there, boot as normal, nothing wrong. The only thing it unable to do, is take any new command on it, and that includes formatting.

5. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
  6. Izzywiggles

Izzywiggles Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB
    Nothing, ran a diagnostics program and told me no problem.

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    How full is the drive? What is the most recent smart info you have on the drive in relation to this current status?

8. Izzywiggles

Izzywiggles Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB
    That it needs to be replaced, Hell the drive is only 8 months old so its still under warranty, after reading someone else randomly had the exact same problems at me, I will just get a new one.