Windows 8.1 and HD 4850 black screen - can't solve /cry

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lumikor, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Lumikor

Lumikor Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 4850 512
    I've tried several driver versions including 12.11 (if i'm not mistaken) from this very site. However, no matter what I do, I keep getting black screen. Microsoft's driver (1.1 if I recall) also gives me black screen.

Manually installing via Devices gives the same thing.

Unfortunately for me, I cannot install any other version of Windows. Is there anything to do or I'm stuck with Microsoft generic driver?

Thank You for your help
    Lumikor of the Catshire

2. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
  3. Lumikor

Lumikor Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 4850 512
    nop, still black.

used DDU on safe mode to remove all ati drivers, ran setup again, screen flicker once, after few more seconds it goes black. restart to black screen.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Are you installing the Mobility drivers ?

5. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Can you reformat and do a fresh Windows installation? If it still does the same thing on a fresh install of Windows then it is a hardware issue.

6. Lumikor

Lumikor Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 4850 512
    Yes.

And it happens on freshly installed Windows 8.1, I can't install other versions (tried xp, vista and 7, all gives me no bootable device error, cannot access BIOS)

7. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Sounds like you have some kind of hardware issue. Might be time for a new laptop.

8. Lumikor

Lumikor Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 4850 512
    I think it's a problem with the monitor driver and not the graphic driver/hardware.

I installed the driver you linked manually by removing the driver signature enforcement, the screen went black, I rebooted to safe mode to check the driver and it was the right driver.

However, the monitor driver (Windows generic something) appears with Exclamation mark

9. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I highly doubt it is the driver for the monitor. The generic driver should always work. I still say this is a hardware issue, especially since you cannot install another OS. There is no reason for that other than a hardware problem.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What make/model machine is it ?

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  12. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    mine did that when i had a monitor plugged into the dvi, stupid windows8.1 was only outputting to vga. Once i plugged my monitor into the dvi it worked, give it a try on all the outputs you can. I'm currently using my 4850 with a dvi2hdmi converter (that also does sound over hdmi) with drivers 12.6 (can't remember why 12.6) but hey they work for me.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Possible. Doesn't make sense to install Win8 on a laptop that old though. That laptop should have come with either Vista or 7 pre-installed.

15. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    Theres gotta be a way to get into some of the basic bios settings, even on OEMs like Dell or HP. They wont always show the correct key to press, but its typically 'delete' or one of the F keys. Sometimes you can find the procedure buried in documentation if you feel like digging through their support site for your laptop.

If I had to guess, your bios may not be allowing legacy bootloaders. This could cause the issue you're seeing with not being able to get a new OS installer going.