Database entries

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Malonn, May 6, 2007.

1. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Xtrme
    What do you think is the possibility of figuring out what all the entries in the database do(current driver - 158.19)and the values to manipulate them? I think the chances are slim. Of course not counting the ones that can be altered through RT's main interface.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The chances are not slim. I'm getting info about the driver's entries myself by studying the driver's internals. You can do the same.

3. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    With what program(s)? SoftICE?

4. Unwinder

You can use any disassembler. My preferred tool is IDA.

5. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    Cool, thanks

6. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    All I can say is: whoa, lol. The little bit of Python I know isn't helping me.

7. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    Which file are the entries stored in? nvgames.dll? That is the 3D settings server.

8. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    I have found(for those interested)that you don't have to know a high level programming language at all to reverse engineer software. You just have to learn some assembly. IDA is the "big daddy" of disassemblers - I find Olly Debug to be easier to learn.

9. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    Alright, after about a week of learning, the only thing I've found for sure (or at least I think I'm sure) is that nvgames.dll stores resources for the 3D settings section of the control panel (strings and crap) and that the D3D and OGL settings, if they are actually in the file, are not easily found. 99.9% don't care, but I'm more posting this in the rare off chance that Unwinder will throw me a hint (even though this has nothing to do with RT).

10. Unwinder

If you're inending to find D3D/OGL registry entries, you should exampine NVIDIA D3D and OGL drivers, where there entries are read and handled. The files you should look at are:

nv4_disp.dll
    nvoglnt.dll

11. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    Alright, thanks. I looked at nv4_disp briefly, but Olly had a problem loading it. So I'll try to work that out. I never even looked at nvoglnt. Now at least I know which direction to head in and not bounce around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Thanks again.

12. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm all over it. Olly just can't load it properly for some reason, so I had to switch to a different disassembler. If IDA weren't frickin' 500 dollars (that is if you don't promote warez sites, which I do not, officially)...

13. Lord Banshee

Lord Banshee Master Guru

GPU:
    X1950XT 512 @ FireGL 7350
  14. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, I ended up finding that about 20 minutes after I made that last post. Thanks for the input though.

15. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    Alright, I've been able to find the active settings and a lot of the values associated with them, but not their aliases (D3D, of course). They are certainly not among the strings in the file. So how'd you figure those out, Unwinder? Obviously they are not something you can just guess.

16. Unwinder

I was not saying that it will be a "piece of cake" task. There are no aliases, you should

1) Study the code that initializes D3D driver's context and reads settings from the registry
    2) Study the code processing each entry and examine how does it affect the driver's functionality

17. Malonn

Malonn Master Guru

GPU:
    Alright, this is going to take a little time.