upgrade soundcard

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by blue_kid, May 8, 2014.

1. blue_kid

blue_kid Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I want to upgrade my old Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    The main reason : / better sound quality / only for gaming
    What would you recommend ? Asus ? Creative SB ? Or something like this :

http://www.trustedreviews.com/fiio-e09k_Portable-Audio_review

I'm using for gaming the headset Sennheiser HD 429
    In case i go for FiiO E09K, i won't have anymore EAX effects / Crystalizer and many other SB functions.
    Any ideas / advices are welcome.
    Thank you.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Sb z

3. blue_kid

blue_kid Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You think it's a noticeable difference between SB Z and xtreme gamer ?
    Thanks

4. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    I went with the card you see in my details. Had the Xtreme Gamer too before that and i'm more than happy with my choice. Runs in both XP and Win7 / 64bit.

For enhanced 3D sound i bought a DSS2 (TurtleBeach) from Amazon and connected that via optical to my soundcard. Best 3D-like sound in stereo.

5. blue_kid

blue_kid Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So, if i upgrade my Xtreme Gamer card with AsusXonar D2X / ASUS Xonar Essence STX / and i add the DSS2, do i get 3D sound, even if i use the Sennheiser HD 429 headphones ?
    All i want is to improve the sound quality, and if there is 3D too, that would be much better
    :)

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You don't need dss2 to get positional audio. Dolby headphone (positional audio on Xonar cards) will do that just fine. It'll work with any stereo headphones. Not sure about dss2 actually, it might be ok. I'd check out Razer surround software too, I find it better than Dolby headphones on Xonar cards.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  7. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    I really like my HT|Omega Claro
    It's a really good all around card for gaming/music
    Solid drivers. One thing I noticed about HT|Omega is that they get the drivers right the 1st time.
    None of this driver update to fix this or that.

[​IMG]

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    By connecting via optical you're not getting the benefit of the soundcard.

OP is best off getting a Z unless he's considering putting some healthy money down, depending on his uses.

9. hazochun

hazochun Guest

GPU:
    MSI Vega 56 OC Air
    but.. but i Connect my SBZ > DSS1 > Headphone the SBX's crystalizer still useful and still have dolby effect.(make sure the surround in SBX is off)

If you have the DSS already, it is ok but don't buy the DSS after you get the soundcard. seem Not worth it

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If you connect via anything other than analogue you're not benefiting from your soundcard or original source. The reason for this is because you're sending the data digitally, you're essentially using your sound card as a pass-through. That's not to say you wont get features from that method, but the best aspects of a soundcard (Aka the conversion by a probably superior DAC) are lost.

Last edited: May 10, 2014

11. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    You don't need the dss to get surround headphone dsp, the Z already have a option for that. The only reason to use optical is if your connection the Z to a External dac or dac amp to send the functions over to the device or if you have a Home audio receiver for the Encoders on the Z. Other wise it best to just use analog.