Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA Drivers Section
Videocards - NVIDIA Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything ForceWare driver related. ForceWare (Detonator) drivers are for NVIDIA TNT, Quadro and all GeForce based videocards.

Old
  (#401)
oni222

Videocard: 2x EVGA SC SE Titan
Processor: AMD 8 core @ 5ghz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 1200
Default 05-22-2013, 01:01 | posts: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mraz View Post
Ok, you can see my rig on the left here.

Before the Titan I had MSI Lightning GTX 680, and I have never experienced any slowdowns.

Now I have Titan and I can pretty much say the same, I have no problems whatsoever, after reading through this thread a bit I started fraps and turned on the FPS monitor thing, I've never go under 70 FPS with Titan, and I capped it in the video options at 120.

Anyway my point is that sometimes the slowdowns can occur if you OC your CPU or GPU too much that the OC is not stable.

Example of that at GPU is that the card doesnt ''crash'' because GDDR5 is correcting itself, but instead you get lower FPS or poor performance instead of what you could be getting. I have been pointed out at this numerous times by various users here, and after removing my OC on memory clock, and just by further OC'ing the core clock, I got higher and stable performance out of my GPU. Example was on BF3 I couldnt break 140 FPS no matter how much I pushed memory clock, but after setting it back to default, and as said above, pushing only core clock without memory, I got higher FPS then ever, and it is rock solid.

Same goes for CPU, after reaching 4.7 Ghz which does work 24/7 I got sometimes weird hiccups or even slow posting in W7, also some app's were behaving weird or were just slower then usual, and then by accident and advice from user --TK-- I was messing up with my OC settings, only to end up lowering it at 4.6 Ghz and give it a go. Result was, that my PC immediately felt snappier and started responding normally, and my theory on that is, that its vcore was barely enough to keep it running at 4.7 but it never crashed, resulting in poorer performance, as funny as it sounds.

So please guys as much problems as you have, please be 100% sure that what you're playing on is also 100% stable and rock solid, otherwise something like this is possible.

I would go for that one saying, its not always ''The more the better!''.
I understand what your saying but when I run Crisis 3, far cry and even witcher 2 with ubersampling without any issues whatsoever but borderlands keeps dropping FPS left and right then it is definitely a game specific issue.

Also if you google borderlands 2 and physx issue you will see a myriad of threads regarding the issue.

Old
  (#402)
BuBBle.D

Videocard: Asus GTX Titan + GTX680
Processor: Core I7-2700K @ 4.8Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 32GB TridentX 2400C10
Soundcard: Logitech Z4
PSU: Corsair AX1200W
Default 05-22-2013, 07:24 | posts: 31 | Location: Slovenia

Back when the game was released, i play it with a 680 and a 560ti as a physx card and i had no issues. After the first DLC got released i got bored of the game and stopped playing.
When i bought the TITAN i wanted to see how the game performs and got the same issues as you guys had. Even with physx set to low, the game ran like crap. Well, guess what. After i threw in the 560ti as a dedicated physx card everything went back to normal.
So all of you who have 2 cards, do you still experience this issue if you dedicate one card for physx (select card and check "dedicate for physx" in NvCP)?

Old
  (#403)
NeoandGeo
Master Guru

Videocard: Geforce GTX 680
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k @4.6
Mainboard: GA-P67A-UD4B3
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws
Soundcard: HT Omega Claro+ 7.1
PSU: Corsair 750w
Default 05-22-2013, 13:24 | posts: 404

I tried running with a 680+460GTX as a dedicated PhysX card, and the performance was worse than just the single 680. The game is utterly broken for me.

Old
  (#404)
BuBBle.D

Default 05-23-2013, 00:09 | posts: 31 | Location: Slovenia

Hmmm thats strange, because we had pretty much a identical setup. Were you running the 460 in the second pci-e (x8) or the last one(x4)?

Old
  (#405)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 760 SLI ftw bios
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2450
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 05-23-2013, 07:32 | posts: 6,863 | Location: Sunny Scotland

perhaps the 460 wasn't 'snappy' enough for bl2 (i'm not talking horse power) whereas the 560 was, there's another user with good results with a dedicated 650 in the PhysX section.

Old
  (#406)
BuBBle.D

Default 05-24-2013, 13:16 | posts: 31 | Location: Slovenia

Maybe, but i highly doubt a 460 would not be snappy enough. Its just calculating Physx, nothing more. My 560`s usage in heavy physx scenes never goes above 20% (usually around 5-10%, so i dont think a 460 could not handle it. But then again, i am not an expert.

One thing got me thinking though. It is very, very weird that some have these issues, and some not, even with almost identical setups. Then i read the reaply from Gearbox to the user who sent him his "error logs". Gearbox said, that information was not "moving" fast enough through the PCI-E slots as it should-or something like that. Did anyone even try to manually set his primary PCI-E slot in the bios to Gen2 or Gen3 or in general tried to play with those settings. Most motherboard manufacturers leave it at auto, especially with the z77 series which support CPUs with gen2 and gen3 PCI-E lanes, and maybe the conflict could be the auto settings. Just wondering and trying to help if anyone still got the nerves to try to get to the bottom of this.

This should at least help those with dedicated physx cards. If you have one, put it in the x4 slot, and choose to run it in x4 mode instead of x1(?).

Single card users, if any of you remembers this post next time he boots up his system, and have a look at the PCI-E mode setting in the bios and report back i`d appreciate it.

Really sucks to have such issues on top end hardware in a year(?) old game which is otherwise great, but not being able to play it and having no concrete answer as to what the culprint is. Not to mention a fix/patch that would correct.

If this was already tried to no avail, then sorry for wasting your time.

Regards
BuBBle.D

Last edited by BuBBle.D; 05-24-2013 at 14:06.

Old
  (#407)
oni222

Videocard: 2x EVGA SC SE Titan
Processor: AMD 8 core @ 5ghz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 1200
Default 05-25-2013, 14:47 | posts: 5

I am seriously considering buying a 580 and adding it just for physx so I can test it on this game. If somebody has one that hes willing to sell low or donate for the test please contact me.

Thank you

Old
  (#408)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GTX780 OC AmpFan
Processor: i7 4770K OC 4.7 cache 4.4
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Crucial BLE 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Chieftec NTRO88+ 650W|52A
Default 05-25-2013, 16:04 | posts: 7,369 | Location: Urban`Jungle

lol u have 2 GK110 and want to put another GF110 just for physx?? For real?

Those titans have enough power, even one is more then enough.

Old
  (#409)
BuBBle.D

Default 05-26-2013, 12:14 | posts: 31 | Location: Slovenia

@oni222: No need to buy a 580, just dedicate one of them for physx and let us know if it helped.

Old
  (#410)
adrock311
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC
Processor: i5 2500k @ 4ghz
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Memory: 8 gb DDR3 1600mhz
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
PSU: 850 watt Thermaltake
Default 05-27-2013, 19:31 | posts: 753

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBBle.D View Post
Maybe, but i highly doubt a 460 would not be snappy enough. Its just calculating Physx, nothing more. My 560`s usage in heavy physx scenes never goes above 20% (usually around 5-10%, so i dont think a 460 could not handle it. But then again, i am not an expert.

One thing got me thinking though. It is very, very weird that some have these issues, and some not, even with almost identical setups. Then i read the reaply from Gearbox to the user who sent him his "error logs". Gearbox said, that information was not "moving" fast enough through the PCI-E slots as it should-or something like that. Did anyone even try to manually set his primary PCI-E slot in the bios to Gen2 or Gen3 or in general tried to play with those settings. Most motherboard manufacturers leave it at auto, especially with the z77 series which support CPUs with gen2 and gen3 PCI-E lanes, and maybe the conflict could be the auto settings. Just wondering and trying to help if anyone still got the nerves to try to get to the bottom of this.

This should at least help those with dedicated physx cards. If you have one, put it in the x4 slot, and choose to run it in x4 mode instead of x1(?).

Single card users, if any of you remembers this post next time he boots up his system, and have a look at the PCI-E mode setting in the bios and report back i`d appreciate it.

Really sucks to have such issues on top end hardware in a year(?) old game which is otherwise great, but not being able to play it and having no concrete answer as to what the culprint is. Not to mention a fix/patch that would correct.

If this was already tried to no avail, then sorry for wasting your time.

Regards
BuBBle.D

i think you can just check your PCI-e mode setting withing windows by using GPU-Z

Old
  (#411)
NeoandGeo
Master Guru

Videocard: Geforce GTX 680
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k @4.6
Mainboard: GA-P67A-UD4B3
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws
Soundcard: HT Omega Claro+ 7.1
PSU: Corsair 750w
Default 05-27-2013, 22:33 | posts: 404

My BIOS doesn't have any settings for PCI-E lanes, and I was using the 460 in the second PCI-E slot, which runs at 8x. Load on the card during heavy PhysX scenes was less than 10% with heavy FPS dips. Performance was worse than just a single 680.

GPU-Z reads PCI-E 2.0 @x16 when running BL2, so I don't think that has anything to do with the problem.

Old
  (#412)
playswithfire
Member Guru

Videocard: GTX670 SLI
Processor: i7-3570k @ 4.5ghz
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
Memory: 8gb DDR3 1600mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 07-16-2013, 09:51 | posts: 67 | Location: the bell grave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoandGeo View Post
My BIOS doesn't have any settings for PCI-E lanes, and I was using the 460 in the second PCI-E slot, which runs at 8x. Load on the card during heavy PhysX scenes was less than 10% with heavy FPS dips. Performance was worse than just a single 680.

GPU-Z reads PCI-E 2.0 @x16 when running BL2, so I don't think that has anything to do with the problem.
nVidia have said the game is CPU bound, and that the GPUs are waiting for more instructions from the CPU to do anything further, and referred my case back to Gearbox software for it to be fixed in their code rather than drivers.

So I just discovered that Gearbox software are doing a Q&A at the PAX expo in Melbourne on Saturday.

Should I ask them if they are ever going to both fixing this? It seems they have no interest in doing so, the number of people who notice the framerate dropping is such a small subset of the total number of players...

Old
  (#413)
HeavyHemi
Ancient Guru

Videocard: SLI TITAN SC @ 1097/3105
Processor: i7 980x 4.3 Ghz 1.35 v
Mainboard: EVGA X58 E758
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Dom 2000
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200
Default 07-16-2013, 23:14 | posts: 3,515 | Location: Wooing whilst wearing only socks.

The problem here folks, is that while the PhysX doesn't load the GPU that much, it requires the GPU to context switch between rendering and PhysX processing. While later generations have improved this, there is still a significant performance penalty, even more so, percentage wise with SLI. On Metro LL, even though my dedicated GPU is showing ~20% usage, I get a near ~10% increase in frame rates. The gain is even more in the Batman series.

Metro LL:

SLI TITAN no dedicated PhysX

•Average Framerate: 63.67
•Max. Framerate: 168.27
•Min. Framerate: 6.43

Dedicated PhysX

•Average Framerate: 69.33
•Max. Framerate: 159.01
•Min. Framerate: 30.28

Old
  (#414)
KingpinZero
Maha Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 780Ti AMP!
Processor: i7-3770k @4.6/Hyper 212+E
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 extreme 3
Memory: G.Skill ARES 1600mhz 8gb
Soundcard: Realtek Crystal HD
PSU: CX750W 80+
Default 07-17-2013, 07:41 | posts: 862 | Location: Rome

i just noticed that if you really want to get decent fps while boosting everything to max physix included, at least on my SLI 680's, is to mod the game profile to force AA and SGAA in order to keep the gpu load well above 60%, otherwise it'll plummet as soon as physix kicks in.

The geforce guide helps alot in doing this, and it works. At least theres no more drops to 20fps without a reason.

EDIT: spoke too soon, now with last betas it freezes and gives me bsods. Oh god, its a neverending issue.

Last edited by KingpinZero; 07-19-2013 at 15:18.

View distance is the killer.
Old
  (#415)
toasty
Member Guru

Videocard: VTX3D R9 290 /w ACX III
Processor: i5 2500k@ 4.8Ghz
Mainboard: P8Z67 Pro Gen 3
Memory: 8GB Vengeance 1866
Soundcard: AMD HDMI + X-fi SB0730
PSU: Xigmatek Centauro 700w
Default View distance is the killer. - 07-21-2013, 15:55 | posts: 76 | Location: U.K

I have been doing some testing in BL2 with different settings and have come to the conclusion that even with Physx offloaded to a dedicated ppu; the game is simply not capable of maintaining 60fps with maxed settings even while gpu/ppu/cpu load are all still well below 99%.

Ambient occlusion test - Taken at dusk so lots of shadows. All settings at high in game with vysnc and triple buffering shows 85% load for 60fps. Disable AO and load drops to 55%?! Seriously 30% of a GTX680 for some (very subtle) shadowing?

View distance test - Looking out over the Tundra Express map. All settings at high in game with vsync and triple buffering;
Ultra high = drops as low as 40 fps
High = drops as low as 50 fps
Medium = drops as low as 55 fps
Low = locked at 60 fps

It's also worth noting here that gpu load did not change considerably (if at all) when changing view distance. Whilst cpu load does dramatically; even at 4.8Ghz it would appear isn't enough for this title!

So if you want 60 fps constantly you not only need a dedi ppu (for high physx) you also need to run the game with hideously crippled view distance.

Last edited by toasty; 07-21-2013 at 19:31.