Fold Faster on GPUs With FahCore_17

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by PantherX, May 6, 2013.

1. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    A great milestone has been achieved in the area of folding on GPUs with the release of FahCore_17. Currently, it is in public beta and will eventually be rolled out to all supported GPUs once the public Beta testing is done. Here are some highlights...

Fold Faster on GPUs With FahCore_17

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    [​IMG]
    7970 @ 1125MHz. TPF ~1m20s. Used to be ~2m25s.

PPD before: 46k-47k...after: 110k PPD

Incredible.

Thanks for the topic PantherX.

3. Mangix

Mangix Guest

Installing the 320.00 beta drivers may also boost speeds. Nvidia backported the funnel shift instruction for Fermi which provides a speed boost assuming funnel shifts are used.

See: https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-2269.html

4. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    ok im a bit out of the loop how do i get the core 17 what flags do i need?

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    client-type: beta

That's all you need.

Have fun folding!

6. iancook221188

GPU:
    look like im still on V7 2.9 i mite need to update that too look a bit different

7. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    It is currently in Beta so if you're not on the Beta Team, you may want to wait until it gets released to the public.

Having said that, you can still configure the client to a beta one and get those WUs as long as there isn't any shortage of them.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Can one join the Beta Team in some way?

I AM getting WUs though.

9. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    It's your choice to update to V7.3.6 or not. Currently, I am using V7.2.6 since there is a bug in V7.3.6 where the new WU download at 99% instead of 100 (even when it is configured for 100%). For most people, it isn't a big deal. However, since I have 3 other systems that fold on the CPU with TFP of over 30 minutes, I don't want to pre-download the WU. Moreover, since it is recommended to have all the Client versions to be same for remote monitoring, I have decided to stick with V7.2.9 until a newer version is released.

10. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    You will be getting the WUs even if you are not on the Beta Team. If you are interested, here's the link to it -> http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I don't think running it on a fanless AMD Radeon HD 6450 24/7 is a bright idea, right?

deltatux

12. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    If is is passively cooled and plenty of airflow, I would try it but would monitor the temperature to be within the acceptable range.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    im not too sure about plenty of airflow, the PSU fan has to kick into high gear just to cool itself, I think that room is just not cooled properly lol. I'll likely wait until I can invest a better GPU for myself and just take my bro's old Radeon HD 4850 (which used to be mine) for folding lol.

deltatux

14. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    If the room temps are below 20C at all times, then I might try it but I don't think that it would last very long under those extreme conditions.

Unfortunately, HD 5000 or higher is needed for FahCore_17.

15. iancook221188

GPU:
    ok look like im getting 65k on each 670 im not going to put it on the 460s and the result from other don't look so good ive put the 2600k on smp 6 and it getting 20k and gpu client do take alot of cpu power

16. mooney4321

mooney4321 Member

GPU:
    2080S Seahawk EK
    core_17@TITAN

Im getting 140k PPD running core_17 on my TITAN@1006MHz.
    Getting about 10-15% usage of CPU.

Thats 411.76 PPD/1W!!!!!:banana:

Im a happy folder...!:)

17. iancook221188

GPU:
    wow mooney4321 that nutts some people with some WU have been getting 166k the cpu usage is good aswell great ppd/w

18. mooney4321

mooney4321 Member

GPU:
    2080S Seahawk EK
    F@H vs Power consumption.

Ian..
    This might be the end of me folding...
    Im thinking, if I get like 140k PPD on 1 Titan. Is there any real use of us doing F@H? With a folding farm of titans running on dedicated power-line would be getting much better PPD/$...?
    In my spare time as a folder I also enjoy doing some fly-fishing..:) with the nature and all...should I just quit? In Norway we have cheap&clean energy i think, but Im jusing some W.
    U think its still to any use?
    In any case, 140k/340W vs 20k/650W isnt too bad..:)

19. iancook221188

GPU:
    well you have to come to your own conclusion, but i don't consider any folding a waist. if you have cheap clean energy lucky and that's good for the environment. remember all of us together can equal or surpass any super computer, at one point a few year ago we did buy becoming the first of any kind of computer super or distributed to hit one petaflop. what you are contributing to i.e stanford uni they could not afford, we are also seeing result from are year of labour ( it in the result section on the sanford web site it bit above my head so i will not be able to explain it to you)

check this video out to see how you are helping

you will have to weigh up what you think between helping a cause that in the end should help humanity or if you think the only problem it sorting out the environment. to me if you get your energy from clean sources then folding should not be a problem at all as your doing both by not affecting the environment ( though clean energy and helping humanity in researching how protein fold

20. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Should you quit folding because of few people having GTX Titans have started foldin, absolutely not!

The reason is that there are Projects for CPUs and Projects for GPUs. Sure, with FahCore_17, both CPUs and GPUs can do the same type of work (Explicit and Implicit) but that doesn't mean that CPUs are useless. In fact, as long as you can make the Preferred Deadline (Timeout) for the assigned WU, you are encouraged to fold on that hardware (if you can afford the electricity bill).

I have been folding on:
    Intel Pentium E5500
    Intel Pentium E5400
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T8300

Each of those CPUs gives me between 1800 PPD to 2500 PPD and I am proud for the fact that each WU those CPUs do are unique to my system and I am helping every bit as possible. I do have more powerful (relatively speaking) CPUs and GPUs and fold on them too.

However, if do to expensive electricity bills, you want to temporarily stop folding, you can do that and save money and maybe purchase a more efficient CPU/GPU depending on your budget/needs and can join later on [​IMG]